1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Frank Shattuck Bespoke Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aportnoy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

very well played my friend.

2. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Actually, what he does is, he takes a little cup, fills it with olive oil, and soaks the buttons overnight. Horn buttons only.

Manton,
    Your knowledge is amazing. I found out about the buttons in olive oil from the Robb Report story. What is the advantage of soaking the horn buttons in olive oil overnight?

Back to the OP. As has been previously asked. Andrew, which shoes are pictured in your photos and given your surfeit of shoe options, which shoes do you visualize wearing with this gorgeous suit?

3. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

I guess I'd be grinning like that too if I had your shoes heheh...Those are hella interesting lapels! very nice..

4. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Very cool, Andrew! Would we be able to get some larger pics?

I bet your wallet feels great after Shattuck and Scafora bespoke. [​IMG]

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Manton,
    Your knowledge is amazing. I found out about the buttons in olive oil from the Robb Report story. What is the advantage of soaking the horn buttons in olive oil overnight?

Back to the OP. As has been previously asked. Andrew, which shoes are pictured in your photos and given your surfeit of shoe options, which shoes do you visualize wearing with this gorgeous suit?

I'd imagine there would be a certain sheen since horn can be dull on its own.

6. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

\\What is the advantage of soaking the horn buttons in olive oil overnight?
    Frank thinks it darkens the buttons (true) and also gives them a nice patina (true there is a patina, whether it is "nice" is subjective.) He also says that it makes horn buttons tougher and slicker, more suited to non-tweed fabrics. He will do this as a matter of course. If you don't want your horn buttons to get this treatment, you have to tell him.

7. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Excellent, Andrew. Congratulations!

The 3-buttons and lapels have a great Apparel Arts look about them. Now all you need is a pipe and trilby.

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Beautiful suit Andrew and wear it in good health! I really like the fabric and pocket details. I may have preferred a longer lapel roll though to show off more of the vest.

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Does he have fabric in stock or do you have to provide your own? Which does he prefer?

10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Does he have fabric in stock or do you have to provide your own? Which does he prefer?
    He has a small stock, mostly intended for himself. He will part with it, if you see something you love. But seeing it is hard, since he has no presense in the city these days. It's best to bring your own, something he prefers in any case.

11. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

He has a small stock, mostly intended for himself. He will part with it, if you see something you love. But seeing it is hard, since he has no presense in the city these days. It's best to bring your own, something he prefers in any case.

Where is he working out of now?

12. Mute

Mute Senior member

That is indeed a beautiful suit. I especially like the fit of the trousers. Very nicely done.

13. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Eh...not that impressive. I don't think it flatters you in the least. Tell you what: I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for, oh, a hun...fifty bucks. Thank me later.

14. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

God damn it. I see Poole in five hours. You're going to inspire me to bankruptcy.

15. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

God damn it. I see Poole in five hours. You're going to inspire me to bankruptcy.
    Hahaha

Great suit Andrew.

16. mussel

mussel Senior member

Congrat on a commission well done! What factors did you consider in choosing Shattuck vs. other NY tailors like Raphael? House style, cost, turn-over time, handworks, artisanship...?

17. mussel

mussel Senior member

Eh...not that impressive. I don't think it flatters you in the least. Tell you what: I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for, oh, a hun...fifty bucks. Thank me later.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. nioh

nioh Senior member

Beautiful! I especially like the trousers.

19. neyus

neyus Senior member

I love everything about that suit. The patch pocket. A true 3 button. But the lapel still has a nice graceful roll. The pants length looks perfect. Just the way I like it. No shirt cuff. But I can only get that right by accident.

Flannel is great and I don't think we see enough of those these days.

Ney

20. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored