• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frank Lloyd Wright

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I`m not sure what happened with the original building designed by Wright.

Of course now, the hotel is huge with new wings and all, but they still incorporate his designs in every aspect of the hotel (furniture, etc.)

Apparently the old hotel was demolished after age-related damages took its toll.

http://www.pbs.org/flw/buildings/imperial/imperial.html

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought his designs were awesome.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found the Lloyd Wright interiors that I've experienced, to be compelling. We had several Lloyd Wright designs, in my home town. I was inside two of them. Both houses were striking, inside and out. I've attended services in the Lloyd Wright Greek Orthodox Church, in Milwaukee. It provides an experience of wonder and illusion. But I've heard a number of prelates contend that the church does not function, as a Greek Orthodox house of worship.
Lloyd Wright fans may want to watch THE FOUNTAINHEAD, starring Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal. A high style, abstract film. Philosophical and verbose, but worth watching. It was during the making of this movie that Neal and Gary Cooper began their love affair.
untitled-16.jpg

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, depudamadre. The interior of this church, is quite stunning. The approach from outside, is a mixed bag. The 'spears' outlining the building must be seen to be 'appreciated.' The reaction I've gotten about this design from priests and upper clergy, has usually been half hearted or disapproving. They claim the structure does not function effectively, as a Greek Orthodox church.

deputamadre

Reaction score
I wish I could find better pictures of the church online. I actually live in Milwaukee, so maybe I'll head over there and take some pics.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Appropriately, Wright--like that other great architect Adolf Loos--was also a dandy with his large hats and capes.

I believe he designed most of his clothes himself.

In his old age, he kind of looked like Quentin Crisp.

Frank%20Lloyd%20Wright.jpg

wright-frank-lloyd-02.jpg

wright_f_l_01.JPG

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
Someone in the US should get to building The Illinois, break a few records, build a little awesome.
Santiago Calatrava is building the Chicago Spire.

deputamadre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Santiago Calatrava is building the Chicago Spire.

Awesome. I lived in Valencia (Calatrava's birthplace) and there are some great works. Also, he designed the Milwaukee Art Museum.

photogallery_MAMBridgeGardens.jpg

2700762920087621328S600x600Q85.jpg

2598219790087621328S600x600Q85.jpg

2212331950087621328S600x600Q85.jpg

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Milwaukee Art Museum is exciting. The parking lot alone, is worth the trip.
d063scd.jpg

I've been inside this Lloyd Wright, in Gary. It has seen better days . . . but at least it's still standing.
untitled-21.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I like Calatrava's work as well. I'm hoping they move forward on his design for the Atlanta Symphony.
smile.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had the pleasure of living in 2 cities with Calatrava-designed architecture:

Brookfield Place (what used to known as BCE Place) in Toronto, Canada:

BCE-place_pano_tall_01.jpg

And Puente de la Mujer in Puerto Madero, Bs As, Argentina:

800px-20060128_-_Puente_de_la_Mujer_(Puerto_Madero,_Buenos_Aires).jpg

Jon.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tour of Taliesin in Spring Green, Wisconsin, is one of the highlights of my fourteen years in the US. I was in Chicago in late September 2002, late enough for the Cubbies to be out of contention, and I drove out to Spring Green in the fog of an early Sunday morning. To stand in the round room of the architecture school was to understand how to - effortlessly - make a large room feel cosy; and to walk over the hill from the school toward the house was to genuinely see Man find Nature's perfectibility. Yes, you can't heat the place, and yes, Nature reclaims FLLW's buildings a little quicker than we might like - but his ability to merge landscape and building is astounding. I just wish I had pictures to show.

Don't take my word - see for yourselves. Go when there's a little water in the air, so it feels like Wales - or Ireland for that matter.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Brad;631590 said:
What do you all think about him as an architect?

willitshouse.jpg

I've actually been in this dining room - this is located in Chicago, and was his family home and studio too. No inside photography allowed but I attach some exterior photos. I'll agree with what most of the posters have said here about his work being good to the senses. The contrast use of green tile and paint and the brown of wood throughout his work makes his designs quite appealling.

FrankLloydWrighthouseoutside.jpg

P1000541.jpg

P1000538.jpg

P1000540.jpg

P1000536.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads