• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Frank Lloyd Wright

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW, that's Brooks Brothers on the right.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tomasso, I do too. As I've written on this thread, the interiors of Wright's work are sometimes deeply affecting. Even that 'minor' home in Gary, included a most energetic, surprising living space. It's the exteriors of Wright's buildings, the Guggenheim Museum for example, that sometimes leave me cold. Not crazy about the Greek Orthodox Church elevation, either. Inside however, he creates a memorable environment of illusion and space.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
I was a fan as a kid, until I visited fallingwater in high school. it is a very oppressive place, very uncomfortable. cool looking from the outside, but basically a hobbit hole inside with ultra low ceilings.

Reaction score
Mustapha;637793 said:
Originally Posted by Brad
What do you all think about him as an architect?

I've actually been in this dining room - this is located in Chicago, and was his family home and studio too. No inside photography allowed but I attach some exterior photos. I'll agree with what most of the posters have said here about his work being good to the senses. The contrast use of green tile and paint and the brown of wood throughout his work makes his designs quite appealling.

I believe that this table and chairs were made in relation to the rest of the room. Including the fact that the dimensions were coordinated with the light from skylight above and the times of the day when they would eat meals. The shadows were supposed to follow immediately after the backs of the chairs, so that the focus was always on one's dinner companions.

mainecooncat

Reaction score
I agree with many of the critiques of Wrights work, but what amazes me is the courage of his work. He did so many things that nobody ever dreamed of before, (and as with all good experiments there were some spectacular failures) but on the whole I think no 20th century American architect contributed more to the world. I'm in Pittsburgh, not far from Fallingwater, and though I know some find it low-ceilinged, warren-like etc, I've found every visit inspiring.

That being said, my personal favorite of the 20th century is the Finnish architect Alvar Aalto.

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
I think it's beautiful, I love it. I also love art-deco and art-moderne.

pasadena man

Reaction score
I think he is America's greatest artist in a major art form. He modestly placed himself as the most important architect since Palladio. I agree, and I can't think of any other major American artist, in a major art form, who might be the consensus "best in the world over the last 400 years in his discipline". Is there an American novelist, poet, painter, or composer looked upon as the best in his field over that time period?

I often make this point when the subject of FLW comes up in conversation. People are, almost invariably shocked at the contention, but usually can't come up with American artists in other fields who can contend as the best, worldwide, over 400 years.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a bold claim, but it's really only with modern technology and economy that we can have architects able to complete 50+ works in their lifetime.

In the medieval era, we have The Alhambra, Cologne Cathedral, Notre Dame de Paris, Hagia Sophia. But do we even know who those architects were? Even if we do, those architects didn't create multiple grand projects.

Perhaps Gaudi could challenge FLW? Not as many works, but Sagrada Familia is better than anything that FLW did—in my opinion, though I admit it's hard to compare such different artists.

My personal favorite architect, Santiago Calatrava, I feel has completed more and better works than FLW.

BTW, my favorite FLW works are Fallingwater, Guggenheim, Taliesin, Ennis House. Though there are many more I haven't seen in person and my opinion might change when I do so. I recently visited Marin County Civic Center and found it kind of ugly.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.