1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Frank Lloyd Wright

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Brad, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

BTW, that's Brooks Brothers on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Distinguished Member

Tomasso, I do too. As I've written on this thread, the interiors of Wright's work are sometimes deeply affecting. Even that 'minor' home in Gary, included a most energetic, surprising living space. It's the exteriors of Wright's buildings, the Guggenheim Museum for example, that sometimes leave me cold. Not crazy about the Greek Orthodox Church elevation, either. Inside however, he creates a memorable environment of illusion and space.

3. dastig

dastig Senior Member

4. HortensioKrishna

HortensioKrishna Member

I grew up in Wright central

You grew up on Forest Ave?

5. thepataphysician

thepataphysician Senior Member

I was a fan as a kid, until I visited fallingwater in high school. it is a very oppressive place, very uncomfortable. cool looking from the outside, but basically a hobbit hole inside with ultra low ceilings.

6. designprofessor

designprofessor Distinguished Member

Love / hate relationship.
    Aesthetically, I like them. But once inside, they don't work for me.
    My recent trip to Price Tower re -confirmed this.

7. HortensioKrishna

HortensioKrishna Member

8. mainecooncat

mainecooncat New Member

I agree with many of the critiques of Wrights work, but what amazes me is the courage of his work. He did so many things that nobody ever dreamed of before, (and as with all good experiments there were some spectacular failures) but on the whole I think no 20th century American architect contributed more to the world. I'm in Pittsburgh, not far from Fallingwater, and though I know some find it low-ceilinged, warren-like etc, I've found every visit inspiring.

That being said, my personal favorite of the 20th century is the Finnish architect Alvar Aalto.

9. Dragon

Dragon Distinguished Member

10. cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl Senior Member

I think it's beautiful, I love it. I also love art-deco and art-moderne.

11. meister

meister Distinguished Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

12. meister

meister Distinguished Member

13. pasadena man

pasadena man Well-Known Member

I think he is America's greatest artist in a major art form. He modestly placed himself as the most important architect since Palladio. I agree, and I can't think of any other major American artist, in a major art form, who might be the consensus "best in the world over the last 400 years in his discipline". Is there an American novelist, poet, painter, or composer looked upon as the best in his field over that time period?

I often make this point when the subject of FLW comes up in conversation. People are, almost invariably shocked at the contention, but usually can't come up with American artists in other fields who can contend as the best, worldwide, over 400 years.

14. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That's a bold claim, but it's really only with modern technology and economy that we can have architects able to complete 50+ works in their lifetime.

In the medieval era, we have The Alhambra, Cologne Cathedral, Notre Dame de Paris, Hagia Sophia. But do we even know who those architects were? Even if we do, those architects didn't create multiple grand projects.

Perhaps Gaudi could challenge FLW? Not as many works, but Sagrada Familia is better than anything that FLW did—in my opinion, though I admit it's hard to compare such different artists.

My personal favorite architect, Santiago Calatrava, I feel has completed more and better works than FLW.

BTW, my favorite FLW works are Fallingwater, Guggenheim, Taliesin, Ennis House. Though there are many more I haven't seen in person and my opinion might change when I do so. I recently visited Marin County Civic Center and found it kind of ugly.