• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frank Clegg Briefcases

hamtgr

Reaction score
For anyone familiar with Clegg's briefcases, I am trying to decide between the commuter and the bound edge zip top, either choice would be in chocolate. The bag would be used daily in a fairly conservative business environment, though going forward I may be working somewhere less formal. I understand it is really just a matter of preference but it would be appreciated if anyone has anything to add - if you were in my position, which bag would you choose? Pics attached. Thanks in advance.

Bound edge zip top briefcase^

Commuter briefcase^ (note: this would be in chocolate leather, not the colour seen here)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Zip top bag would be better with tailored clothing, but the Commuter would be more versatile. If you don't already have a dressier bag, the zip top would be nice. Otherwise, the Commuter could be a good bag for both tailored clothes and casualwear.

coldinboston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the commuter one and it is a nice briefcase.
About a year old now and looks like it will last forever.
My only comment is that is very big
i did not appreciate how large 4 inches of depth is
Maybe you carry a lot of stuff around but for me it mostly empty, as i may have a couple of folders in there, sometimes a laptod/ipad etc...
Just something to think about.
It is also heavy, likely due to the thick (but very nice leather) that is used.
I am actually currently in the midst of commissioning a 3 inch ziptop to start using and switch the commuter to when I travel or have to haul a lot of stuff, but for my every day use needs to and from the office, it is much larger than what I need.

hamtgr

Reaction score
Thank you both. @coldinboston I hadn't considered the size factor so that is good info for me to know.

Uniquest

Reaction score
What 3” bag did you end up switching to?

I have the commuter one and it is a nice briefcase.
About a year old now and looks like it will last forever.
My only comment is that is very big
i did not appreciate how large 4 inches of depth is
Maybe you carry a lot of stuff around but for me it mostly empty, as i may have a couple of folders in there, sometimes a laptod/ipad etc...
Just something to think about.
It is also heavy, likely due to the thick (but very nice leather) that is used.
I am actually currently in the midst of commissioning a 3 inch ziptop to start using and switch the commuter to when I travel or have to haul a lot of stuff, but for my every day use needs to and from the office, it is much larger than what I need.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads