1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fragrance Top 10

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by rach2jlc, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Makin

Makin New Member

Thank you! Isn't it too feminine? (as far as I can tell looking at the bottle) Or should I get the Cologne version?

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

They actually have two different bottles for that scent, one more feminine looking and the other more masculine looking. But the fragrance itself is exactly the same. And no, it's definitely not too feminine. (The cypress really helps there.) I would suggest the eau de toilette formulation. But maybe @HORNS has a different opinion.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I was under the impression that the two fragrances are identical except that they just come in different bottles. Eau d'Hadrien is absolutely not just for females - it's perfectly unisex.

4. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Guerlain - Vetiver
    Penhaligon's - Sartorial
    Tauer - L'air Du Desert Marocain
    Roja Dove - Enigma pour Homme
    Roja Dove - Fetish pour Homme
    Sultan Pasha - Cites de Ange
    Amouage - Journey Man
    Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Pour le Soir

5. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interesting additions over the years.

That's a nice list. Especially the Villoresi... there are several from his line I'd add, from Sandalo to Piper Nigrum.

I'm always curious, from these lovely niche lists, how many users have sampled the old classics in their best form... the Shalimar extraits, the Vol de Nuits, Cuir de Russie Parfum, etc. They take some legwork (basically going to a Chanel flagship or Guerlain store)... but most are still detectable even in reformulated form.

I stand by my well-worn thesis that nothing much under the sun has been invented that could really outmatch the old classics (Except in retail price). There is no oriental better than Shalimar, no citrus better than Diorella. No leather that can match CdR. And find something to compete with Bois des Iles. And is there a rose that could match the original Patou Joy? Though Rose Poivree takes it in an interesting direction.

I would probably have to add something from Comme des Garcons on my list, just because as a fashion house they continue to push the envelope.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

No order

Tom Ford - Bois Marocain
    Tom Ford - Oud wood
    YSL M7
    Guerlain - Habit Rouge (although I dont wear it too often because it is so potent)
    Dior Homme - Need a bottle of this. Anyone got a lead on a split of it?
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Amouage Memoir Man
    Amouage Epic Man
    Creed Aventus
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    L'Instant de Guerlain Eau Extreme (cant believe I forgot this. may have to bump something else off)

Honorable Mention
    Tom Ford - Plum Japonais (may move up after my split arrives)
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. rach2jlc

So I'll do a list of currently available juice (in no order). My criterion is less to fit with my "personal" taste than to create a rounded list that covers all the bases:

1. Portrait of a Lady (Malle)- Oriental
    2. Parfum de Therese (Malle)- Just amazing, maybe the greatest combination ever made.
    3. Bigarade Concentree (Malle)- Citrus; honorable mentions Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, Hermes Eau d'orange concentree
    4. Helmut Lang EdP/EdC- Weird gourmand/skin (honorable mention L'aP DZING... as a weird hybrid that wears close to the skin).
    5. Diorella (Dior Les Creations)- Citrus floral, runs close to #2 as the greatest ever. Honorable Mention: Eau Fraiche, (original) Eau Sauvage.
    6. Cuir de Russie (Chanel)... any concentration, but especially the parfum. - Leather chypre; honorable mention... eh, there isn't one.
    7. No. 22 (Chanel)... prefer the parfum, but EdT is okay. -Floral chypre/aldehyde/incense.
    8. Tom Ford Black Orchid- Try it; honorable mention L'a P DZONGKHA! (not because they are similar but because they defy most genres).
    9. TdC Rose Poivree (honorable mention: Villoresi Piper Nigrum)- Spicy floral
    10. Shalimar (Guerlain)- Vanilla oriental classic.- Honorable mentions Jicky, Vol de Nuit,

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Homme

Homme Senior member

Bandit!

9. rach2jlc

In theory, I agree. Also Knize Ten, Cuiron, Cuir de Ottoman, even Diorling or Jolie Madame. Even Royal English Leather (Creed).

Bandit, conceptually, does a lot for leather scents by blending green/fresh notes with the traditional heavy/stinky leather note. CdR, however, is very different. As such, at the end of the day.. CdR is just in a class by itself. That's why I couldn't mention an alternative. Knize Ten would probably be the closest I could ponder, or Cuiron in conceptual intent.

But why mess with perfection? Just go to a Chanel Flagship and get a sample of the parfum.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Cuir de Russie is a remarkable fragrance. Bandit is definitely as well but is bitter green whereas the Chanel contains no rough edges like Bandit does. Bandit is almost stylistically a love child of Cuir de Russie and Chanel no 19, which is high praise.

1 person likes this.
  11. FineMoment

FineMoment Well-Known Member

I would love to test some of these. whenever I find a chance to visit retail.

It would be nice if you can categorize each in your list to a specific group. Maybe based on situations you would wear each or any other indications (summer, etc).

Here is your list combined with the OP:

Parfum de Therese (Malle)
    Diorella (Dior Les Creations)
    Bigarade Concentree (Malle)
    Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne (and Eau de parfum)
    L'instant pour homme (Guerlain)
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    L'artisan Parfumeur Voleur de Rose
    Montale Black Aoud
    Guerlain Jicky (Guerlain) (edp or parfum, preferably)
    Shalimar (Guerlain)
    Portrait of a Lady (Malle)
    Tabac Blond
    Cuir de Russie (Chanel)... any concentration, but especially the parfum
    Vetiver Extraordinaire (Malle)
    No. 22 (Chanel)... prefer the parfum, but EdT is okay
    TdC Rose Poivree
    Chamade (Guerlain)
    Vega (Guerlain)
    Aramis JHL
    Moustache de Rochas
    Eau de lalique
    Helmut Lang Cuiron
    Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Diptyque Philosykos
    Anthousa Fig&Vetiver
    Chanel Antaeus
    Prada Amber for women
    Creed Bois du Portugal

12. rach2jlc

^Thanks for compiling the list. I'll work on organizing it and will edit/update this post when I can.

1 person likes this.
  13. FineMoment

FineMoment Well-Known Member

^ that will be very helpful. thanks