• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance Top 10

Star

Reaction score
It is before my time but I was told that one of the greatest men's fragrances was the now discontinued Monsieur de Givenchy. Interested if anyone out there can concur?

monsieur-eau-toilette-spray-01767184205.jpg

For a 'fiery woman' I was told nothing beats Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon

LE%20BAISER%20DU%20DRAGON.jpg

Personally I enjoy the masculinity of Cerruti 1881 and Valentino V

t_23604.jpg
60945M.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aqua de Parma and Creed Green Irish Tweed are my two favorites. Quite a step up from English Leather in college in the 70's.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
It is before my time but I was told that one of the greatest men's fragrances was the now discontinued Monsieur de Givenchy. Interested if anyone out there can concur? For a 'fiery woman' I was told nothing beats Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon
MdG is still available in the "Mythiques" collection; it's a lovely chypre... slightly powdery, but still very gentlemanly. I had a vintage bottle from way-back-when; I'm not sure it would be a fan with "younger" guys who are accustomed to cleaner, fresher scents. But, it's still nice. It's sort of a powderier Chanel Pour Monsieur. It wouldn't be my first rec to somebody with a small collection; instead, it would only be something I'd recommend to a person who had all the "classic" chypres and wanted to round out the collection. I'd actuallly get Guerlain "Mitsouko" before the Givenchy. Le Baiser is very neat... though quite heavy. I think I sent some to Dopey once. Anyway, it's sort of a Serge Lutens-esque though not as syrupy. It comes in multiple concentrations... the full-on parfum is a little much, but the EdP is wearable. Definitely unisex, and best for autumn/winter. The Cerruti and Valentino I smelled but found too "mainstream" and sort of bland. For masculine mass-market scents, I still think Tom Ford's Gucci Pour Homme and YSL Rive Gauche PH can't be beat.

aaronxxx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcInDentonTx
Warm Weather: L'Occitane Verbena

what is this like? is it light? i have 4 voleurs and eae de l'occitan and they are both pretty heavy scents that i can only pull off on the coldest of days

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Monsieur de Givenchy is quite good, IMHO like a powdery Eau Sauvage, very comforting to me. Better for me in Winter, and the last time I saw a bottle was at a Ross/TJMaxx type for very little money. Kind of wish I'd bought it, even through I still have most of a bottle in the herd. Is it one of the greatest? I wouldn't say so, although it may hook into your tastes and sensibilities and be a favorite for you.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm, Rach's post about getting his herd down to ten scents had me thinking. If I had to get down to 10, what would they be?

Chanel Antaeus
Chanel Pour Monsieur
Guerlain Vetiver
Bvlgari Black
Le Labo Oud 27 (which I do not have yet)
Knize Ten
Burt's Bees Bay Rum
EL Azuree
Giorgio for Men
Caron Pour Un Homme
Caron Yatagan

And, to be honest, I don't even reach for these all the time, for all the sampling/reviewing.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a good list, T. My initial "top ten" posted in the start of this thread was a top 10 for a general audience, or one that I think fits "categories" more than what I'd personally choose for myself. There will be some overlap, of course, but nevertheless my initial top ten were trying to be more general.

This year, as I finish and rebuild my collection with JUST essentials, I'm not going with "accepted" classics or ones that theoretically fit the bill, but only with ones that HIT me in a personal, enjoyable way. Hence that list I made before.

I will pick about 15 total, but as I mentioned on that thread, now I can just name six at the exact moment. I still have to finish my current collection before I go and re-buy my "essentials."

1. Malle Bigarade Concentree
2. Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
3. Guerlain Jicky (edp or parfum, preferably)
4. Guerlain L'instant pour homme
5. L'artisan Voleur de Rose
6. A Montale Oud (probably Black, but maybe White, Red, or Steam)

The other nine are still undecided.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess this would be a good thread to pose this question:

What fragrance would you recommend for me?

Deciding factors:

-Nothing sweet
-Must be subtle
-I don't know if this ticks any boxes, but I don't like the 'factory smell'.
-So, natural smells would be nice
-It's said that people should know you're there, not that you're coming. I'd like to not have them notice unless up close.
-Vanilla is bad, mkay.

Smells I like, irl, coffee, whisky, gras, wood, dirt, several herbs, perhaps dark chocolat, . ATM I use a 'musk' deoderant.

As can be deduced by my post I'm not a 'fan'. My so is though. She also likes the smell of laundry detergent and fabric softener, let's not get into that.

Using my description I have come to the scent Wood by dsquared a couple of weeks ago. (I was presented a one year only gift certificate last christmas) It's not horrible, but there must be better or other ones.

If and when presented with recomendations I'll probably go smell them a couple at a time and decide then..

In your debt,

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try:

-- Terre d'Hermes: dirt and sour orange
-- Gucci Pour Homme: pencil shavings
-- Dior Homme: floral, a touch sweet
-- anything by Burberry

Maybe also try A*Men Pure Coffee/Pure Malt, they might be too sweet tho.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good suggestions.

^Also, if your budget will allow, Bond no. 9 New Haarlem. It's a very deep, rich, warm coffee/wood/luxe velvet sort of scent.

Le Labo Patchouli 24 would be an excellent fit, as well. Smokey, woody, not at ALL sweet. Don't let the name fool you; it's got a touch of Patchouli, but is more like a very concentrated, dark Bulgari Black (you might also try the Bvlgari, as it is readily available and quite inexpensive).

The Le Labo and the Bvlgari are also by the same parfumeur, btw.

aaronxxx

Reaction score
i just picked up yves saint laurent's l'homme the other day. so good.

gt33

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
I guess this would be a good thread to pose this question:

What fragrance would you recommend for me?

Deciding factors:

-Nothing sweet
-Must be subtle
-I don't know if this ticks any boxes, but I don't like the 'factory smell'.
-So, natural smells would be nice
-It's said that people should know you're there, not that you're coming. I'd like to not have them notice unless up close.

Smells I like, irl, coffee, whisky, gras, wood, dirt, several herbs, perhaps dark chocolat, . ATM I use a 'musk' deoderant.

As can be deduced by my post I'm not a 'fan'. My so is though. She also likes the smell of laundry detergent and fabric softener, let's not get into that.

Using my description I have come to the scent Wood by dsquared a couple of weeks ago. (I was presented a one year only gift certificate last christmas) It's not horrible, but there must be better or other ones.

If and when presented with recomendations I'll probably go smell them a couple at a time and decide then..

In your debt,

CDG2 man
Havana by Aramis
Vetiver Extraordinaire by Fredrick Malle
Voluer de Roses by L'Artisan
Fou'd Absinthe by L'Artisan
Furmire Turque by Serge Lutens

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you!
worship.gif

I'll try to try them, soon.

Anyone know of a good sample site with some of these choises?

When thinking of scent shopping the winter depression starts to set in.

By the way. I put an extra line in my earlier post. Hope this doesn't effect the recomendations already made. Perhaps only the more obvious faux vanilla scents are less than desirable to me. I have no way of knowing since my personal experience is so limited.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Thank you!
worship.gif
I'll try to try them, soon. Anyone know of a good sample site with some of these choises?

I believe this place will ship internationally http://www.thedifferentscent.de/index.php?cPath=49 Some suggestions (In no particular order) - Caron Le 3me Homme - Herbs and Spices Truefitt and Hill Freshman - Green Geo F Trumper Portugal - Orange Rinds (I like this one a lot) Czech & Speake - 88 - Dark, dark Rose Knize - Forest - Green KNIZE Ten - Leather, tar Geo F Trumper Astor - Soapy Clean Fresh Sandalwood Nasomatto - Silver Musk - Clean, clean, clean soap --------------------------------------- See if this company will send you a sample of Le Labo Rose 31 (Cedar wood) http://www.colette.fr/#/a/3/eshop/17...q=rose+31&go=1

andyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BAB
my current collection:

- creed silver mountain water (wonderful scent i am wearing at the moment)
- polo black (very versatile and classy)
- creed green irish tweed (expensive and good)
- chanel egoiste platinum (to drive females crazy)
- ralph lauren purple label (classy, albeit not very lasting)
- dior homme (clichÃ
00a9.png
d but who cares)
- l'eau issey miyake (for sunshine)
- creed bois du portugal (for rainy days)

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads