• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance, aftershave and balm

john parker

Reaction score
After some 44 years of using Old Space aftershave for everything, I am intent on discovering fragrances and their use. This brings up several questions in product selection and use.
1. If one gets a certain fragrance as a cologne, what does one use after shaving if there is no matching aftershave lotion or balm?
2. If there is a matching aftershave lotion or a balm, which is the better of the two? I have never used balm, and do not seem to have suffered gravely using the aftershave lotion on my face. I know some speak of burning, but I have not really felt a problem with it.
3. My inclination at the moment is toward Calvin Klein Obsession, Guerlain Heritage, and Guerlain L'Instance, if anyone has any thoughts on those.
Appreciate your insights from experience.

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by john parker
After some 44 years of using Old Space aftershave for everything, I am intent on discovering fragrances and their use. This brings up several questions in product selection and use. 1. If one gets a certain fragrance as a cologne, what does one use after shaving if there is no matching aftershave lotion or balm? 2. If there is a matching aftershave lotion or a balm, which is the better of the two? I have never used balm, and do not seem to have suffered gravely using the aftershave lotion on my face. I know some speak of burning, but I have not really felt a problem with it. 3. My inclination at the moment is toward Calvin Klein Obsession, Guerlain Heritage, and Guerlain L'Instance, if anyone has any thoughts on those. Appreciate your insights from experience.
1. You generally go for something unscented, or something with minimal scent. It's why people tend to look for unscented shampoos/conditioners and body washes, as well. 2. Honestly, it depends on the manufacturer. If you're buying Penhaligon's you're getting good **** (although expensive as hell). If you're buying Creed you're getting good ****. If you're buying Kors (who does make a very good fragrance for men), are you getting good ****? I don't know, personally. If you have an aftershave that works for you, and it's lightly scented or not scented at all, stick with it. 3. Get a forum account on Basenotes.net, and buy decants (small atomizers [little glass bottles]) that people sell. You can easily get 10-15 scents, with enough liquid to last you 4-5 wearings, for <$100. It's how almost everyone who is "into" fragrances in general tests scents. There are occasions where you want to make "blind-buys," but they're rare. Even trying a scent once in a store doesn't do it justice; the general consensus is 2-3 wearings to see if you acclimate yourself to it, and if you like the dry-down. It's easy to hate a sent on the second wearing you loved on the first and vice versa. For someone just starting out there's nothing wrong with any of the scents you mentioned. If I were you, over time, I'd try and get decants of some of the following, all of which are generally pretty popular and should be easy enough to find in decant form (you can feel free to whittle down this list heavily based on descriptions of the scents you find on Basenotes, you should try and get one or two with similar types of notes to start figuring out what types of scents you like): "Mainstream"/designer stuff: Unforgivable by Sean John, Dirty English by Juicy Couture, Versace l'Homme, Fuel for Life by Diesel, Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret, Very Irresistible by Givenchy, Varvatos by John Varvatos, HM by Hanaei Mori, Desire (Red) by Dunhill, Black by Kenneth Cole, Lactose pour Homme, Elegance by Lacoste, London by Paul Smith, Michael by Michael Kors, The Dreamer by Versace, Bvlgari pour Homme, Bvlgari Black, Escada Homme, Truth by Calvein Klein, Europhia for Men by Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs for Men, Eau Savage by Christian Dior, Egoiste by Chanel, London by Burberry, Weekend by Burberry, Cool Water and Silver Shadow by Davidoff, Dolce and Gabbana pour Homme, M7 by Yves Saint Laurent, M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent, Envy by Gucci, L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake Perfume houses: Rochas Man by Rochas, Eau de Rochas homme (a personal favorite), L'Anarchiste by Caron, The Third Man by Caron, New York by Patricia de Nicolai (my favorite of all-time basically, it's kind of tough to find but I threw it in here anyway), Habit Rouge by Guerlain, Ungaro III by Ungaro, Green Irish Tweed by Creed, Himalaya by Creed, Millesime Imperial by Creed, Erolfa by Creed, Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur, Merchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur, Wall Street by Bond No.9, Riverside Drive by Bond No.9, Endymion by Penhaligon's

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by john parker
After some 44 years of using Old Space aftershave for everything, I am intent on discovering fragrances and their use. This brings up several questions in product selection and use. 1. If one gets a certain fragrance as a cologne, what does one use after shaving if there is no matching aftershave lotion or balm? 2. If there is a matching aftershave lotion or a balm, which is the better of the two? I have never used balm, and do not seem to have suffered gravely using the aftershave lotion on my face. I know some speak of burning, but I have not really felt a problem with it. 3. My inclination at the moment is toward Calvin Klein Obsession, Guerlain Heritage, and Guerlain L'Instance, if anyone has any thoughts on those. Appreciate your insights from experience.
... generally I choose aftershave solely on its ability to soothe my face, not for scent. I generally use Thayer's witch hazel extract (Supermedicated), and the peppermint scent fades quickly. This is a splash which works for me in the summer. In the winter I'll switch to a balm and then it's Proraso which also works well with added moisture. What works for you? You'll have to try a few. Try badgerandblade.com to see aftershave reviews for a starting point. Scents: Guerlain Heritage is excellent. L'Instant is well-liked as well. Obsession - some may find it dated, but I routinely wear older scents like Antaeus and Yatagan and Giorgio for Men. Go with what you like. Some scents will work well for you and others will not, test carefully before jumping in for a full bottle (I buy blind all the time but I live dangerously like that). There are others you might try. Some classic colognes like Monsieur de Givenchy, or Guerlain Vetiver would be a good starting point. YSL Rive Gauche is a quiet contemplative scent, as is Chanel Pour Monsieur.

john parker

Reaction score
Eidolon and Thomas, thank you so much for your time, kindness and thorough replies. I do reference Basenotes, and use it to guide me. And I have ordered samples from the Perfumed Court. I will definitely look into the lotions that you mentioned, Thomas. Thank you again, John

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads