1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Foyle's War

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Caomhanach, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Caomhanach

Caomhanach Senior member

I just enjoyed the final episode. With only a few moments of bad writing, I found the period dress and measured storytelling of another part of the war very satisfying. Now I must buy some Macclesfield ties.

2. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I love this show. We have the first two seasons' DVD sets and I anticipate buying the rest.

Unfortunately I missed most of the show last night. But I did catch the last half hour or so.

Overall, this show had some amazing writing, great stories, great clothes, and a phenomenal Foyle. I love his gruff way of dealing with the bad guys. "Well, I have a record of it here in my pocket." Classic.

b

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Big fan here, also. My favorite aspect is that he is a good man -- none of the half-hearted semi-morality we must suffer with in the standard televised fare. Further, he is a rational yet he understands the quiet, important things about people, which is a rare combination.

From an SF standpoint, he wore my favorite variety of suit -- the three piece, SBPL.

Sad it's over.

~Huntsman

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I haven't seen the final ep yet, but I wanted to like the recent ones more than I did.

5. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

6. Caomhanach

Caomhanach Senior member

SBPL- translation please? It's always a little sad when a good effort ends. It's like reading everything by a now passed author. But it's better than riding on popularity, like those insufferable MASH storylines, or JRR Tolkien's shopping lists bound up in embossed books and translated into elvish.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

SBPL- translation please? It's always a little sad when a good effort ends. It's like reading everything by a now passed author. But it's better than riding on popularity, like those insufferable MASH storylines, or JRR Tolkien's shopping lists bound up in embossed books and translated into elvish.
    My pleasure -- Single Breasted, Peak Lapel (or lapelled, as suits your preference), as in: [​IMG] ~ Huntsman

8. Caomhanach

Caomhanach Senior member

Ah! I got the first part. Would peak lapels compliment a 6' 2" slim ( not skinny) frame?

9. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Was this a Masterpiece Theater presentation in the United States? I think I may have caught one episode and really enjoyed it.

10. Caomhanach

Caomhanach Senior member

It was on the Mystery seeries on PBS. There were several seasons of 3- 5 episodes each

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Ah! I got the first part. Would peak lapels compliment a 6' 2" slim ( not skinny) frame?
    Sure. It's the not so skinny who has to be more selective about peaks. Note that there are some varieties of the peak -- some point out, like mine, and some point more upwards. It's all what you like. ~ Huntsman

12. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Hunt, is that YOUR suit? It's fucking stunning.

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Hunt, is that YOUR suit? It's fucking stunning.
    Thanks much! It's my favorite, an RLPL unbelievable splurge I bought from the excellent Holdfast. And the fabric has such a wonderful hand.

14. Caomhanach

Caomhanach Senior member

15. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Thanks much! It's my favorite, an RLPL unbelievable splurge I bought from the excellent Holdfast. And the fabric has such a wonderful hand.

Oh, I didn't realize that is yours. Wow. Very very nice. Worth every penny.

b

16. Caomhanach

Caomhanach Senior member

I just learned Foyle's war ended because of the high production expense after 19 episodes. BUT! It had such high ratings, 28% market share for the final episode negotiations are underway to extend the series into postwar England. I also learned the american showings were edited to run in 90 minute slots. Can anyone owning the DVDs tell me if they are unedited?

17. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I just learned Foyle's war ended because of the high production expense after 19 episodes. BUT! It had such high ratings, 28% market share for the final episode negotiations are underway to extend the series into postwar England. I also learned the american showings were edited to run in 90 minute slots. Can anyone owning the DVDs tell me if they are unedited?

Re: editing the US edition DVDs: I'll try to remember to check when I go home tonight.

b

18. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Oh, I didn't realize that is yours. Wow. Very very nice. Worth every penny. b
    Thanks, rd! One of those things you look back on and say, yes, glad I spent the money.
    That is not nice. They did that with my all time favorite Nero Wolfe -- the 90 minute episodes they ran in the UK were paired down to 47 minute episodes in the U.S, and they put the short versions on the DVDs! Only bootlegs of the full length eps are available. I'm no pirate, but you have to wonder why these corporations help further piracy so much. ~ Huntsman

19. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

My DVDs say they are "complete UK broadcast edition". Each episode is approx. 100 min. They are produced (or distributed) by Acorn Media.

b

20. dpw

dpw Senior member

Big fan here, also. My favorite aspect is that he is a good man -- none of the half-hearted semi-morality we must suffer with in the standard televised fare. Further, he is a rational yet he understands the quiet, important things about people, which is a rare combination.

From an SF standpoint, he wore my favorite variety of suit -- the three piece, SBPL.

Sad it's over.

~Huntsman

+1

and Kitchen brought much to the role; timing, calm, gentlemanly character study with listening skills....no doubt unique in time of war.