• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fox Brothers Flannel Example

Kempy

Reaction score
All,

I had commissioned a DB suit in a medium gray woolen flannel with a chalk stripe windowpane. It appears the tailor may be out of the cloth so I am exploring other options. I am thinking about the following from Fox Brother's:

http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/151/flannel/fox-flannel-classic-grey-chalk-stripe

Anyone have an example of a suit made up in this (SB or DB) or alternative cloth suggestions?

I'm hoping the final product looks slightly similar to this except smaller lapels and slightly less bold windowpane.

Thanks for any help!

WhereNext

Reaction score
I'm almost positive that I had a jacket made up in the same fabric as the one in the link (not the one in your picture). I had it done as sportcoat only, but I actually think it would make a brilliant suit (slightly kicking myself, but oh well). It's a subtle windowpane, so it will not be nearly as bold as the one in your picture.
It's a great fabric, very soft but feels sturdy. Again, jacket only, so someone might think differently about trousers if they've used it?

I think that linked fabric also came in the exact same color/design but with a burgundy windowpane, which was also really nice. I think I'll wind up getting that done as a suit at some point, but I'd only get about 2 months of wear out of it where I currently live, so not for a while!

Kempy

Reaction score

I'm almost positive that I had a jacket made up in the same fabric as the one in the link (not the one in your picture). I had it done as sportcoat only, but I actually think it would make a brilliant suit (slightly kicking myself, but oh well). It's a subtle windowpane, so it will not be nearly as bold as the one in your picture.
It's a great fabric, very soft but feels sturdy. Again, jacket only, so someone might think differently about trousers if they've used it?

I think that linked fabric also came in the exact same color/design but with a burgundy windowpane, which was also really nice. I think I'll wind up getting that done as a suit at some point, but I'd only get about 2 months of wear out of it where I currently live, so not for a while!

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Do you happen to have a picture of the jacket? Just curious what the fabric looks like made up as I haven't even seen the swatch in person.

You mention only getting a couple months of wear out of it given your current location. Does it wear fairly warm? I was hoping it being a bit lighter flannel would offset it being a DB.

I believe I tracked down the cloth in the photo if anyone is interested as a VBC offering, but to your point I wanted something a little more subtle and like a chalk stripe than that bold as it would be more versatile.

WhereNext

Reaction score
Not sure if I have a picture....I'll check. I'd take one, but I just left it at a tailor's to "replicate", so I won't have it back for a while.

But yes, it does wear warm: if it's the same as mine, I think it was about 14 ounces. It's not ridiculous, but I would say right around 70 degrees would be the absolute maximum if I had to be outside in it. To be clear, I live in South Africa, so it's warm most of the time (thus, the 2 months thing). But if you're living in a temperate place that has A/C and/or heating in buildings (not so common here), you'd probably get a lot more wear out of it. I bought it when I was living near London and could probably wear it a good 10 months out of the year there.

Kempy

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! This sounds more and more like what I am looking for, if the tailor really is out of the original cloth we settled on I will go with the Fox Brothers unless anyone else has some suggestions.

I live in Seattle which apparently has very similar weather to London so I'm hoping I would get a decent amount of use out of it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 115 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%