• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fox Brothers fabric for versatile suit—City, Air, Golden?

loll8capital

Reaction score
I'm trying to select a fabric for a MTM Vestrucci suit. I have liked Fox fabrics in the past so I ordered a selection of samples. It's going to be some variation on navy, but I'm trying to decide between their various bunches.

The occasion for the suit is my wedding in NYC in August, but I'd like this also to serve as a general, 3-season suit. I tend to sweat a lot, so I'm drawn to the Fox Air fabric, but am wondering as well if the City fabric might also work. Holding the three bunches up to the light it looks like the Air is most open-weave, followed by City and Golden Fox. Does anyone have experience with suits made from any of these? I wonder if City would be a good compromise—a bit more formal than the Air, and maybe less see through (hoping to do the suit half-lined) but still open enough to work for the summer?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to select a fabric for a MTM Vestrucci suit. I have liked Fox fabrics in the past so I ordered a selection of samples. It's going to be some variation on navy, but I'm trying to decide between their various bunches.

The occasion for the suit is my wedding in NYC in August, but I'd like this also to serve as a general, 3-season suit. I tend to sweat a lot, so I'm drawn to the Fox Air fabric, but am wondering as well if the City fabric might also work. Holding the three bunches up to the light it looks like the Air is most open-weave, followed by City and Golden Fox. Does anyone have experience with suits made from any of these? I wonder if City would be a good compromise—a bit more formal than the Air, and maybe less see through (hoping to do the suit half-lined) but still open enough to work for the summer?
I have both Fox Air and Golden Fox jackets. Fox Air feels coarser than Fox City. Golden Fox might be too thin for trousers.
I believe Fox City was created for a slightly smoother hand feel than Fox Air and more "suited" as a suit.
Both are very comparable as you've known. Go with the specific fabric that attracts you.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golden is generally lighter than city, weight wise, and Golden i think looks "tighter"."

I personally love City, think its a great book.

loll8capital

Reaction score
At Vestrucci for the measurement yesterday, Tommaso showed me a jacket in Fox Air and I agreed that the fabric was a bit too coarse for the occasion (my wedding). But he talked me out of Fox City as being too heavy: the wedding is in August, and as I emphasized I sweat easily. (It's not that I get hot, but just perspire a lot, so I assume the important thing is ventilation).

I went with Holland and Sherry English Mohair (20% mohair, 80% wool) which I liked the look of, but now I'm worried that the fabric is too light, and the drape will be poor. It's 230 gm (7.5 oz). On this thread, someone suggests that it's too light. Does anyone have experience with it? Am I f*cked? Would Fox City be OK for my purposes? Any suggestions for something else? I'm guessing if I got in touch with him by Monday I could perhaps still change it before they order the fabric.

Thanks in advance for any help...

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fox City is around 12oz i believe.

7.5 oz is really really light. I, personally, would not get things made in anything that light.

I live in Los Angeles. It gets hot. I suffer a bit for better drape!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads