• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Four jackets, four makers

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thumbnail below is a link to a picture of four of my jackets from four different makers. I'd be interested in comments about the differing silhouettes and shoulders on each of the jackets. From left to right, they are a navy linen sportcoat, dark gray fresco suit, charcoal herringbone suit, and navy hopsack blazer.

A couple comments about the photo. First, I'm obviously not a photographer, so if there are any obvious adjustments that would improve the image, I can do those and repost it. Second, observant members will notice that nothing other than the jacket changed in each of the pictures. I included the trousers only to give a sense of scale to the jacket and I wasn't interested in changing the trousers every time. Third, it's hard to see the shaping of the jacket through the torso without resorting to the action figure pose which distorts other parts of the jacket. Maybe both poses are required to see the complete fit of the jackets?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
The thumbnail below is a link to a picture of four of my jackets from four different makers. I'd be interested in comments about the differing silhouettes and shoulders on each of the jackets. From left to right, they are a navy linen sportcoat, dark gray fresco suit, charcoal herringbone suit, and navy hopsack blazer.

A couple comments about the photo. First, I'm obviously not a photographer, so if there are any obvious adjustments that would improve the image, I can do those and repost it. Second, observant members will notice that nothing other than the jacket changed in each of the pictures. I included the trousers only to give a sense of scale to the jacket and I wasn't interested in changing the trousers every time. Third, it's hard to see the shaping of the jacket through the torso without resorting to the action figure pose which distorts other parts of the jacket. Maybe both poses are required to see the complete fit of the jackets?

Well, I've seen you in person and I think that the first jacket's cut is the best for your figure and stature. The others make you seem small and "stout". I love the roped shoulders on the last jacket, but the sleeves and body seem to big (width, not length). First jacket seems perfect to me.

generic_guy

Reaction score
There are loads of people here far more knowledgable on formal clothing then I, but for what it's worth...
I think the 3rd jacket is the best, I think the slightly shorter length suits you.
I don't really like the way the sleeves stick up where they join the shoulders on 2 and 4.
jacket 1 is nice but I'm not sure about linen with a tie. It might just be that you've worn the same trousers with everything but I think it works better more casually.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One looks slightly too narrow in the shoulders, but it may not be. Three is very nice through the shoulders and looks good through the rest of the body. I really dislike roped shoulders, so 2 and 4 do not look good to me at all.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who are the makers? MTM presumably. It would be good to avoid them.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1 - has something nasty going on about halfway along the shoulders, not sure what. The jacket length is flattering though as I tend to feel odd jackets need to be a touch longer than suit jackets (this may just be my personal little foible!). The front quarters look weird though. Overall, I'm not a fan!

2 - I have no objection to roping, and actually like a little bit. I think 2 fits well through the shoulders. It may just be your stance but the chest looks a bit odd on the right side. Jacket length could do with being 0.5" longer, maybe. But perfectly respectable I think.

3 - probably the best of the bunch. Since it's a darker colour, although the jacket is short, I bet it looks fine as a complete suit. Nice amount of waist suppression too and I think the button stance could do with being a centimetre lower (ie about halfway between jackets 2 and 3, based on these photos)

4 - sorry, not a fan. For some reason I think "robot sentinel" when I see this one. As I said above, I LIKE roped shoulders, but this is way too much! Also the button stance is too low for you in my opinion.

Very good thread idea though. I like the idea of seeing 4 jackets on one person side by side. I may steal this idea at some point.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another vote for #3, although I would prefer to see it about 1/2" longer, maybe more.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I like #1 the most with the high button stance and no roping. #2 is 2nd for me and looks like my Chan; slightly roped shoulders - high 2 button. I was trying to guess which one is Chan but I'm not good at this. *sigh*

Associate

Reaction score
#1 is my favorite, followed by #2.

Is #2 a Chan jacket? Just a hunch.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#3 (though it could be just a tad longer), followed by #1. I like the shoulders on #2 but think that the jacket somehow makes you look a little stout. #4 adds even more weight and the shoulders strike me as too dramatic.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like all 4 jackets. The shirt and jacket sleeve measurements are very nice too!

Shoulders on all 4 jackets look just a liiiiiitle bit too tight. Maybe it`s just the silouette of the jackets. The roped shoulders on 2 and 4 make the tight shoulders stand out more.

Personally, I don`t like the way the jackets compliment your stomach area. Maybe it`s the silouette or the button stance (maybe try 3 buttons? or 3-2?). You don`t look like a guy with a big belly, but all your jackets seem to be narrow in the shoulders and widen as you go down.

#3 looks the best (all of them look very good though). Do you use a 4iH for the tie? Maybe a Prince Albert (I use this knot and love it) will fill up that space caused by your assymetrical knot

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1: loads of wrinkling! but fit not too bad
2: overall not too bad but shoulders seem a bit too narrow for your proportions. A bit too much roping for me.
3: good fit
4: seems a touch too tight below the waist. A bit too much roping.

However, to be honest, all four jackets are fine (except for the wrinkling on no1), nice sleeve length. I wouldn't worry too much about the jackets and enjoy wearing them!

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1: loads of wrinkling! but fit not too bad
2: overall not too bad but shoulders seem a bit too narrow for your proportions. A bit too much roping for me.
3: good fit
4: seems a touch too tight below the waist. A bit too much roping.

However, to be honest, all four jackets are fine (except for the wrinkling on no1), nice sleeve length. I wouldn't worry too much about the jackets and enjoy wearing them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics