• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Four-In-Hand Tie: Review

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week I bought a tie from Four-in-Hand (otherwise known as forum member FIHTies) which arrived last night.

Not only was Jonathon very cool to buy from, he also had a number of nice touches that I appreciated. For example, the packaging was superb. I've bought many ties over the internet and typically, they arrive in a little mailer in a folded fashion. Not so with FIH. The tie was wrapped, placed in a box, and then shipped in an appropriate shipping box. No chance this tie was going to arrive damaged or needing a steaming.

It even came with a nice letter describing the construction of the tie, how to care for it, and who to call should I have any issues. Nice!

Box1.jpg
box2.jpg

Upon inspecting the tie, I was pleased to note the well composed stitches and silk tipped finish. The woolen lining was thick and felt on par with that of my Borrelli or Isaia ties. The tie back is well secured and sewn into the seam. No loose threads could be found.

EDIT I would like to see an interlining thread, but given the firm construction it’s probably not necessary. Turns out there is a slip stitch - just not an exposed loop like I'm accustomed to seeing. I'm clearly outside of my knowledge area, so I'd invite Johathon or any experts to comment on this.

The silk has a nice hand and certain stiffness I expect with embroidered ties. The hand reminds me of the Bizzochi's stiff iridescent feel. It has a translucence in the under pattern revealing the detail work in the fabric construction. The cut is contemporary creating an easy and flattering knot. All the embroidered flowers are well sewn and tight.

box3.jpg
box4.jpg

I'm very happy with the tie - especially at the price. I'd put this on par with Bizzochi or Nicky ties in terms of construction and feel, but ahead of them on value. I hope to see a few offerings like a hound’s-tooth or classic patterns in cashmere.

0514_0021_edited-1.jpg

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like that tie quite a bit. While the pattern is interesting (I don't have anything like it), it is really the color combination that grabs me. Dressy and fun at the same time.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I like that tie quite a bit. While the pattern is interesting (I don't have anything like it), it is really the color combination that grabs me. Dressy and fun at the same time.

Exactly what I thought. I can't wait to pair it with my casual Etro cotton jacket. Even though its dark navy, it still feels like a spring/fun tie.

The tie was $55 - really a steal for the quality and outstanding packaging.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie looks good, and F-I-H sounds like a class act. Well done!

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
Last week I bought a tie from Four-in-Hand (otherwise known as forum member FIHTies) which arrived last night. Not only was Jonathon very cool to buy from, he also had a number of nice touches that I appreciated. For example, the packaging was superb. I've bought many ties over the internet and typically, they arrive in a little mailer in a folded fashion. Not so with FIH. The tie was wrapped, placed in a box, and then shipped in an appropriate shipping box. No chance this tie was going to arrive damaged or needing a steaming. It even came with a nice letter describing the construction of the tie, how to care for it, and who to call should I have any issues. Nice!
Box1.jpg
box2.jpg
Upon inspecting the tie, I was pleased to note the well composed stitches and silk tipped finish. The woolen lining was thick and felt on par with that of my Borrelli or Isaia ties. The tie back is well secured and sewn into the seam. No loose threads could be found. EDIT I would like to see an interlining thread, but given the firm construction it's probably not necessary. Turns out there is a slip stitch - just not an exposed loop like I'm accustomed to seeing. I'm clearly outside of my knowledge area, so I'd invite Johathon or any experts to comment on this. The silk has a nice hand and certain stiffness I expect with embroidered ties. The hand reminds me of the Bizzochi's stiff iridescent feel. It has a translucence in the under pattern revealing the detail work in the fabric construction. The cut is contemporary creating an easy and flattering knot. All the embroidered flowers are well sewn and tight.
box3.jpg
box4.jpg
I'm very happy with the tie - especially at the price. I'd put this on par with Bizzochi or Nicky ties in terms of construction and feel, but ahead of them on value. I hope to see a few offerings like a hound's-tooth or classic patterns in cashmere.
0514_0021_edited-1.jpg

Thank you Bmulford for the lovely review. The tie does in fact have a slip stitch as all my ties do. It may not be visible to you but it exists. I am amazed at your cashmere request as in fact I ordered exactly that this past January (to be delivered for Fall). Here is a pic (slightly off due to flash) of the Cashmere options. More details will be made available later.
CashmereSwatch.jpg

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F-I-H, haven't checked out your site in a while. You seem to have a lot more ties now than I remembered. Many are quite beautiful.

aribo

Reaction score
FIH Ties are my favorites in rotation.
Jon is the finest retailer I have ever dealt with.

Ari

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads