• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Four in hand knot

kjm

Reaction score
I like the simplicity and asymmetric nature of the four in hand knot, but the knot always appears too small. I have a long torso, so I'm forced to use the narrowest part of the tie to form the knot (if that makes sense). Is there anything I can do to make the knot bigger?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kjm
I like the simplicity and asymmetric nature of the four in hand knot, but the knot always appears too small. I have a long torso, so I'm forced to use the narrowest part of the tie to form the knot (if that makes sense). Is there anything I can do to make the knot bigger?

get a longer tie

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also wearing longer ties.

To get a fuller knot buy other ties (more lining).

Mr. Darcy

Reaction score
The Prat is very nice, I have also found I have to get long ties, or the knot with come out small.. Other way to fix this, wear a three piece suit, you can the tie your tie short, which gives it a better looking knot (as you are having to tie on higher on the neck band) and it won't matter if it's short, as the end will be hidden by the vest.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem, I'm so short that I have to use a wide part of the tie and the knot comes out looking bigger than I would like, even with a FIH

nbutter

Reaction score
to get a more full look with the FIH, I try to be careful about not folding the tie at all when creating the knot. keep things loose and spacious before final adjustment.

seems a bit counter-intuitive, perhaps, as you'd think folding = volume, but actually keeping everything flat when you tie it keeps the tie wide through the process and gives the final knot more heft.

conversely, if you want a teeny knot, pull everything super tight all the time, and it'll come out all pinched up (super-elegant for certain looks (80s!))

also, as mentioned, shorter = fatter. pull your trousers up.

Doc4

Reaction score
The 4-in-hand was my go-to tie knot growing up ... the one my father taught me ... and for a long time I didn't know there were other ways of tying a tie.

Nowadays, I usually use a Windsor knot. I still use the 4-in-h for bulkier ties, such as woolen ties and knit ties. So, get a thicker tie, and your knot will get thicker too.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 237 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • 31 - 40