• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Four-door Sedan: Which would you choose?

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
If you were going to buy a four-door sedan and money were no object, which one would you choose?

I've decided I'd go with the Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT. The BMW M5 and MB CLS 55AMG are very tempting too.

quattroporte_sport_gt_08_G.jpg

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was driving, an M5. If my driver was driving, probably a Rolls Royce.

Lamo

Reaction score
probably an audi w12. also like the quattroporte myself.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0-100K: A8 4.2L
100-200K: A8 W12
200K+: Arnage

All VWs... hmm...

The QP needs a regular old auto trans. Forget the paddle crap, itt doesn't work on this car.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Maserati seems to look as if it is somewhat puckered up in front. Don't really like that funny curve body arch the Merc has going on. A 300SL it is not. Best option: Buy a cheap, safe 4-dr, a Volvo or something, take balance and buy a nice two seater :). Sticking to the original, I'd choose (highly predictably, I'm sure)
Aston_martin_rapide.jpg
Even if you have to wait a little while for it. Next best,
SuperV8.jpg
Regards, Huntsman

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
0-100K: A8 4.2L
100-200K: A8 W12
200K+: Arnage

All VWs... hmm...

The QP needs a regular old auto trans. Forget the paddle crap, itt doesn't work on this car.

Yeah, the ****** only works well when going fast, but in stop and go traffic, it fails miserably.

Anyways, interestingly you choose the A8, which probably would have been my choice as well (although I am partially to Audis...) I love the 12 spoke wheels on the A8:

06.audi.a8.500.jpg

Jon.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
saab 9-5

i love the old maseratis but the new ones don't do much for me. i do like the QP better than the coupe.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
saab 9-5 i love the old maseratis but the new ones don't do much for me. i do like the QP better than the coupe.
The problem with Maserati is that they are the Italian prostitute of the car industry. Almost everyone has had a go with Maserati and that has led to some horrible cars being produced which really tarnish up the company’s image. In fact, this makes my point perfectly: the 1989 Chrysler TC by Maserati:
chry8901.JPG
Just looking at it makes me sick. Jon.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The problem with Maserati is that they are the Italian prostitute of the car industry. Almost everyone has had a go with Maserati and that has led to some horrible cars being produced which really tarnish up the company's image.

In fact, this makes my point perfectly: the 1989 Chrysler TC by Maserati:
http://www.styleforum.net//images/smilies/sly.gif
sly.gif

chry8901.JPG

Just looking at it makes me sick.

Jon.

Jon, I think I hate you.
*pukes*

Hell, even the Biturbo's of the late 1980's are classier than that pile of donkey poo!

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think moderns all suck. A writer in Slate recently described the current crop perfectly.
It takes something like a Maserati Quattroporte to turn one's head. Or not, since the styling of this large sedan is remarkably unstunning, an Italian Ford Crown Victoria. The Bentley Arnage"”I saw two"”is equally unprepossessing, a $200,000-plus sedan with about as much panache as a Chrysler 300; that is to say, none at all. These expensive cars, like the expensive apartment buildings on South Ocean Boulevard, were consistently dull, willfully dowdy. They seem to have been intentionally designed to appear not designed.
If I had to have a four door, there are surprisingly few worthy choices even considering all of automobilia. Most of history's great driver's sedans (Alfa GTV, Lotus Cortina, BMW 2002, BMW 320i) have had two doors. Maybe a Jaguar Mk. II/S-Type or a Mercedes 220SE Fintail. Going a bit closer to the present, perhaps a Mercedes 190E 2.0 Evo II. - DTM homogolation special, just like the only decent M3 - or a Ford Sierra Cossie, though it would be more fun to weld the hatch of a Lancia Integrale shut and call it a 4-door. Ultimately, there's only one four door I could pick, the Citroën DS

DS1DR.jpg

If I had to drive a modern four door, I guess I'd take a Subaru WRX or Mitsu Evo MR, because those seem to be the only two large cars offered in America that actually want to be driven, instead of merely serving as expensive and monumentally dull transportation appliances like most moderns. The only wildcard would be one sedan I've never seen, let alone driven: the new Citroën C6.
citroen_c6_01_03_05.jpg

Lamo

Reaction score
to be fair, the quattroporte looks much nicer in person. SGladwell, that Citroen C6 is one of the ugliest cars i've laid my eyes upon, imo of course.

Lamo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Yeah, the ****** only works well when going fast, but in stop and go traffic, it fails miserably.

Anyways, interestingly you choose the A8, which probably would have been my choice as well (although I am partially to Audis...) I love the 12 spoke wheels on the A8:

Jon.

i think the a8/s8/w12 series is the only modern audi that catches my eyes. must say i was rather dissappointed with the new 6 series.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics