Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Four Button Jacket - Thoughts Please

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clintonf, Nov 19, 2010.

1. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

Hi all, I recently came across a "new" Ralph Lauren SC which has a four button fastening.

I've seen 4 button jackets before and I'm not really impressed with them.

However, this one has me in two minds. Therefore, I'd like to throw it to the "Dogs" and let them rip into it. In other words, I would appreciate any comments that you may have on the 4 button thing.

I'm not doing a poll, but I would value thoughts.

Does it look stupid? Not too bad? Great?

[​IMG]

Many thanks

Clint

2. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

Are you going be in the next NBA draft? If so this is no brainer as you would require a 4 button jacket.

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I think Doc has one and in his manner of dressing, it works. For my tastes, too little shirt/tie shows, lapels are way too thin and it's too much English country/horseriding. You can easily find the same thin in a 3 button version.

4. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Are you going be in the next NBA draft? If so this is no brainer as you would require a 4 button jacket.
    Indeed! I was going to ask how tall the OP was. Although that jacket does look like the top wasn't meant to be buttoned up.

5. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

Now there's a thought. Too bad, I wouldn't reach the hips of most of the Draft players. [​IMG]

I think Doc has one and in his manner of dressing, it works. For my tastes, too little shirt/tie shows, lapels are way too thin and it's too much English country/horseriding. You can easily find the same thin in a 3 button version.

I've got a 3 button version (far more common). It's just really something that I've not seen for a while and I'm just on the fence about that type of look (fastening).

Thanks both.

Clint

6. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I kind of like it if you want something a bit out there. Don't know if you could wear it in many situations though.

You should take a pic with it on.

7. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

I kind of like it if you want something a bit out there. Don't know if you could wear it in many situations though.

You should take a pic with it on.

I don't actually own it. I've just seen a picture of it and I wanted to guage opinion.

I'm currently a 2 button/3 button kinda guy.

Clint

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Does it look stupid? Not too bad? Great?

I actually quite like it. It's not one of these terrible ones with a stubby flattened lapel and all four buttons fastened so it looks like a giant tube. The buttons are placed quite close, the last one on the cut-away and the lapel rolling to past the top one, as well as it being nicely shaped...I think the result isn't bad.

9. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

I actually quite like it. It's not one of these terrible ones with a stubby flattened lapel and all four buttons fastened so it looks like a giant tube. The buttons are placed quite close, the last one on the cut-away and the lapel rolling to past the top one, as well as it being nicely shaped...I think the result isn't bad.

This is kinda what I think for THIS particular specimen. But I really don't know why Corneliani/RL would make a 4 button jacket. I can only presume that this model is fairly old.

But like the material and the buttons don't look THAT bad.

Clint

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

Perhaps Hardy Amies was onto something ... just a decade early with his prediction of five button coats being "in."

Four buttons ... ridiculous. Five ... even worse.

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Many classic equestrian jackets have had four buttons for over 200 years. I think in tweed it looks fine, but it all comes down to do you like it and how you will wear it. If other items in your wardrobe mix and match nicely with this and perhaps the addition of the right scarf you could have fun with it. If you want this to replace a trad 2 or 3 button tweed jacket, then don't. Its just a different jacket.

I have a 4 button Luciano Barbera linen jacket. It looks like something Picasso might have worn around his studio and is a great jacket. There are exceptions to the 4 button that work.

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I don't like it but MrK (who is shorter) has one from PeterLee that looks great on him.

13. JTA

JTA Senior member

Not a big fan but maybe personal preference. The only coat with more than 3 buttons that I like is Arnys La Forestière.

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

Arnys La Forestière.
    Now that's the kind of exception I really like.

15. Miles Gloriosus

Miles Gloriosus Senior member

It looks like a mediocre 3-button jacket with a button shaped tumor. That top button just looks like it got lost on its way to another jacket.