• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pens

hisroadside

Reaction score
So I've been using fountain pens for a good portion for my life as most of the kids in France or obliged to write with them and everything must be handwritten, even SAT's equivalent which represents aproximately 30-40 pages in very small writing. However it seems that in many countries I've visited people are astonished by me using my montblanc or think I'm trying to be cool or exiting or something. Here is my question, what do others think of fountain pens, how many of you use them and why? and how are they viewed in your country. also feel free to share what you have and even add pictures if its an interesting piece.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use them since high school. Very few people use them in HK now, it is even hard to buy colour ink other than red, black and blue. I used italic nib and violet ink. Have Pelikan, Parker and Montblanc.
ball pen and roller pen don't have the "width" that I like.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
I've used a fountain pen (true fountain - initially a Parker 45 with a fountain converter, then a 75, then a 1928 Duofold, now a vintage Conway Stewart) ever since high school. I didn't care for the fibre-tip Berol Handwriting pens that were standard issue, or for the feel of a ballpoint/rollerball. Fortunately bottled ink is fairly readily available here, including through my office's stationery catalogue. Currently I have a bottle of blue Parker Quink on my desk. It is an occasional talking point, but mostly people just take it for granted that using a fountain pen is the sort of thing I would do, it seems.

eidolon

Reaction score
I went and lost probably 5 Cross pens over a few years a while back, and since then I've stopped buying fountain pens. If I could figure out a way to stop losing pens like an idiot (or if I could find solid fountain pens for <$20) I'd get back into it
frown.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I exclusively use fountain pens, preferably those of the piston or lever fill variety; I don't care for cartridge converters and that nonsense.

Fine point is usually my favored nib since I have rather thin handwriting.

sanrensho

Reaction score
I use a fountain pen only for my signature. It feels more &quot;professional&quot; and helps me take things more seriously when I know a lot of it is just corporate BS.

Garfieldthecat

Reaction score
I've been using fountian pens at home and at work for the past 10 years. I've got 5 right now, but I mainly use two of them.

When people notice at work, they always want to look at it and try writing with it. Most people seem to like it. I like the fact that you don't have to press down while writing, and that I can use whatever color of ink I want, instead of the normal blue or black that you get with a regular ball-point pen.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was first introduced to LAMY cartridge pens while in high school in Germany.

I've now lost two, but would love to have one again.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
I was first introduced to LAMY cartridge pens while in high school in Germany.

I love Lamy pens...I have 3 of the "swift" retractable rollerballs, and a titanium w/18kt nib fountain pen (Pelikan black ink for me, drawn up into a lever fill). Love their simplistic minimal/modern designs.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too grew up with fountain pens mostly due to my father's influence. I haven't really come across any adverse attitudes towards my use of them. Mostly I just love they way a good fountain pen lays down ink on paper and I just like the extra touch when writing a personal correspondence. As of now I have but three. My first was a give from my father and vintage Parker 51 with a very cool streamline design. My second came on my 30th birthday in the form of a Mont Blanc Meisterstück. Nothing fancy, just your standard MB. My third fountain pen was a one-off hand made in tortoise with S/Silver nib and accents that I picked up in a small shop in Lake Geneva Wis.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I truly love writing with fountain pen. In today's society it's quite impractical, but I do try in formal office settings, and certainly during personal correspondences.

My favorite ink is the Pelikan.
My favorite nib is fine.
I also prefer the piston fill versus the cartridge.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wrote all of my law school exams with a Parker 51 Demi FP (Black barrel, fine tip, Parker Blue/Black Quink).

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I like fountain pens so much, I make my own! Here the last two I made:

I use all sorts of exotic woods with platinum, gold, rhodium and other precious metals to make these.

BBRex

Reaction score
I have two rather inexpensive fountain pens that I regularly take to work, as well as use to sign cards or letters. One is a Libbelle that I bought on sale online and does well when used every day. I also have a Taccia Ta-Ke with a Richard Binder modified stub nib that I bought second-hand online. I really like using this pen, as well. Both write well, and neither are so expensive that I'll be out a lot if I lose it.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
I like fountain pens so much, I make my own! Here the last two I made:

I use all sorts of exotic woods with platinum, gold, rhodium and other precious metals to make these.

Those are gorgeous!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics