1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pen

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bearsfan172, Jun 10, 2010.

1. 69clyde

69clyde Senior member

how are dunhill fountain pens regarded?
    They are very good, but giving the choice, I would elect for the S.T. Dupont or Cartier... Still, for me, nothing exceeds Mont Blanc for some one of middle class means.

2. 69clyde

69clyde Senior member

This topic gives me a chubby[​IMG]--{-^<

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I have the Mont Blanc 149, also known as the diplomat(the fattest of all) the leGrand in classic black and gold vermeil, the classic and the Mozart(the smallest of all) and they are all converters, with the exception of the Mozart which is cartridge only. I have traveled extensively over sees with them all at high altitudes and have NEVER had an issue with leaking or soiling suits or sport coats. If you know what you are doing do not be afraid of a quality fountain pen. I love them and have for years, and they solicit more comments (always positive) than just about anything else that I wear,drive or own!

The 149 is a massive pen. I have the rose gold limited edt. 125th anniversary (undipped) and it feels like a solid, solid pen due to its size. The platinum versions must be really heavy.

4. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

As it happens, I just got my first fountain pen in decades today, a vanishing point. Loving it so far.

5. xcontext

xcontext Member

I love my Mont Blanc Kafka. It is round on one end, square on the other to symbolize Metamorphosis.

6. 69clyde

69clyde Senior member

The 149 is a massive pen. I have the rose gold limited edt. 125th anniversary (undipped) and it feels like a solid, solid pen due to its size. The platinum versions must be really heavy.
    It is indeed...it's sometimes awkward to write with and can get slippery in a Texas summer but the massive 18k platinum and gold nib looks like a shiney flying squirrel in flight...the nib is bb (double broad) so the ink width that it leaves is, well, like a magic marker. I wouldn't write a novel with it, but whip that pig out to sign your signature and you've got somebody's attention, especially if the document is a contract and you can see the look on their face like, "oh shit, I've been had"

7. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I got an Aurora 88 with chrome top not so long ago. It's a really awesome pen, I enjoy writing with it.

8. wetshaver

wetshaver Active Member

They are very good, but giving the choice, I would elect for the S.T. Dupont or Cartier... Still, for me, nothing exceeds Mont Blanc for some one of middle class means.

How would you rate the S.T. Dupont Fidelio fountain pen (with M nib) then?

Thanks in advance.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I don't like the fact that Dupont pens are cartridge-converter.

10. 69clyde

69clyde Senior member

How would you rate the S.T. Dupont Fidelio fountain pen (with M nib) then?

Thanks in advance.

Very good pen, although I don't own any snap enclosure fountain pens as I prefer screw enclosure. The nib is 14k gold whereas the Mont Blanc is gold/platinum with the screw enclosure. My experience is...construction is important (obviously) but the most important is the channeling of the nib..I.e. How the ink arrives from the bladder (whether cartridge or otherwise) to the tip of the nib and the ink quality. The better the ink the better the flow. I have used dozens of ink types from dozens of different makers...I say this with the utmost conviction...there are many great pen manufactures, many, but Mont Blanc ink is second to no one. So, depending on how often you are going to use your instrumente d' script (I have pens I never use nor will ever use) and your price point, S.T. Dupont, Pelikan, Cartier, Parker, Mont Blanc or even Cross...write on brother, write on!

11. wetshaver

wetshaver Active Member

Very good pen, although I don't own any snap enclosure fountain pens as I prefer screw enclosure. The nib is 14k gold whereas the Mont Blanc is gold/platinum with the screw enclosure. My experience is...construction is important (obviously) but the most important is the channeling of the nib..I.e. How the ink arrives from the bladder (whether cartridge or otherwise) to the tip of the nib and the ink quality. The better the ink the better the flow. I have used dozens of ink types from dozens of different makers...I say this with the utmost conviction...there are many great pen manufactures, many, but Mont Blanc ink is second to no one. So, depending on how often you are going to use your instrumente d' script (I have pens I never use nor will ever use) and your price point, S.T. Dupont, Pelikan, Cartier, Parker, Mont Blanc or even Cross...write on brother, write on!
    Thank you for your excellent feedback. To be honest, I do own (and use) the S.T. Dupont Fidelio fountain pen with M nib. It's the work of art, IMHO. Famous Chinese black lacquer by S.T. Dupont... Essentially, I was looking for a third-party opinion regarding this particular French-made fountain pen. My favourite ink is Diamine (made in the UK since 1864). Never tried Mont Blanc ink, though. Many thanks for your personal recommendation. I'll definitely give it a try in the near future.

12. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Wow, how did I miss out on this thread?

My favorite pens are:

Waterman Carene (their stub nib rules)
    Parker "51"
    Lamy 2000
    Pilot Vanishing Point
    Sailor 1911

My next pen purchase will likely be a Nakaya Decapod. My current favorite ink is J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen.

13. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

Just got a Vanishing Point for Christmas from my wife. This is my first fountain pen, so I hope it's an enjoyable experience.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have a Parker 51 which I use most of the time at work and a ST Dupont Olympio medium which I have to admit is a very enjoyable pen to work with.

15. Mute

Mute Senior member

I'm rather fond of Omas fountain pens.

16. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

Used to use them. Had a leaker. End of story for me.

17. His Nibs

His Nibs New Member

Thank you for your excellent feedback.

To be honest, I do own (and use) the S.T. Dupont Fidelio fountain pen with M nib. It's the work of art, IMHO. Famous Chinese black lacquer by S.T. Dupont... Essentially, I was looking for a third-party opinion regarding this particular French-made fountain pen.

My favourite ink is Diamine (made in the UK since 1864). Never tried Mont Blanc ink, though. Many thanks for your personal recommendation. I'll definitely give it a try in the near future.

The construction of Dupont pens is truly outstanding. Not being primarly a pen company, they really put a lot of actual pen companies to shame. I've always loved the snick of the cap as it re-sets on the pen's barrel. It reminds me of closing the door of a very fine automobile. :)

18. wetshaver

wetshaver Active Member

The construction of Dupont pens is truly outstanding. Not being primarly a pen company, they really put a lot of actual pen companies to shame. I've always loved the snick of the cap as it re-sets on the pen's barrel. It reminds me of closing the door of a very fine automobile. :)

Absolutely true. That kind of sound is exceedingly pleasant. Very "S.T. Dupont" style.

19. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

are S.T. Dupont Fidelio pens still made?