• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain pen review: the new Omas Paragon

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
It's taken me a while to get used to the aesthetics of the new Omas Paragon, but finally I was so curious that I had to try it. Last weekend, I made bold to try the display models at Itoya Ginza and was very impressed. They've finally made the Paragon oversized, and the section is now made of either sterling or vermeil. This is a good move not only aesthetically, but also in terms of balance. This pen is heavy enough to make you raise your eyebrows in the same way the classic Paragon was light, and yet it has that unmistakable Omas balance. But the heart of a fountain pen is the nib. I tried two; the medium and the fine. Now, I have a spidery, thin handwriting that every medium nib until now has ruined, but this one was perfect because of its ideal flexibility (and for true FP afficionados, I say "ideal" in deference to the Waterman's #2, arguably the most perfect nib ever produced). Let me recommend that both veteran pen lovers and beginning enthusiasts try this pen. It's as good as it gets.
11par2.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I saw it, I couldn't quit get used to the clip, which although it still uses their wheel it looks very Jorg Hysek-like.

timekeeping

Reaction score
Is the vermeil/sterling section a magnet for fingerprints?

Also the clip seems to be a more modern take of the classic Omas clip. I don't like it.

Omas is now a member of LVMH... Hopefully they won't runin it.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by timekeeping
Is the vermeil/sterling section a magnet for fingerprints?

Also the clip seems to be a more modern take of the classic Omas clip. I don't like it.

Omas is now a member of LVMH... Hopefully they won't runin it.

I've found that the black cotton resin is a magnet for fingerprints. I think the vermeil/sterling section would be fine.

I too have trouble with the clip design and am still not used to it. LK nailed it with the Jorg Hysek comment. For me, though, the size, balance, and nib dynamics trump the clip design.

I cringed when LVMH bought Omas back in the '90s, but it seems they're maintaining its integrity. I don't think the quality has dropped a bit and if anything, they've improved their nibs. I wouldn't have thought that possible.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I still want a Montblanc 1992 limited edition Medici...sigh:

medici01.jpg

Jon.

The holy grail of MB limited editions! I also liked their spiderweb pen. I am still kicking myself for not buying the Hemmingway when I had the chance. It's one of the only MBs I've really really liked (besides the Medici). What was I thinking when I passed that up?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads