• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pen and Pen Collectors Thread. Who else likes nice pens?

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It took MrGimpy 1,315 attempts but he finally got it right on SF.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My All-Star demonstrator broke about a year and a half ago so I went to the art store across from my office the other day, they only had the display model left so I got it for like 15% off.

The cartridge only has a bit of ink left in it but I really like the Lamy blue. But I don't like having multiples of the same color and the Athena Blue from Maruzen is so sexy. Not sure if I should pick up some cartridges.

Anyway, tbh, Lamy has engineered the smoothest-writing pen of them all. They really do have the function element perfected. The form part, well. If German-engineered precision is your thing...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What ink does everyone use? The first ink I ever bought was Shin-Kai, which is close to being the perfect blue/black I've ever seen. My others:

Noodlers Black
Noodlers Hunter Green
Sailor Kobe #9 Suma Purple
Sailor Kobe #8 Arima Amber (the closest I could find that matches Longhorn burnt orange)
Diamine Safari
Private Reserve Orange Crush
Diamine Oxblood
Noodlers Walnut - forgot this one.

I think that pretty much covers every writing scenario I can imagine.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Athena Blue
Paradise Pen's red ink
Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku
Diamine Pizzazz (meh)
Some private-label brown ink from a Tokyo pen shop (the name escapes me).

Looking to add a green I actually like or an orange to my rotation.

BenLeaman

Reaction score

Nakaya! You enjoying them well @tifosi
 @BenLeaman
 ?

Absolutely thrilled with them! The urushi feels so nice that I never want to put them down, the craftsmanship is amazing and they write terrifically.

So far, for me, the kuro-tamenuri Decapod Writer with medium nib has seen the most hand time.

Laurence at CFP/nibs.com took good care of us!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are some beautiful urushi pens, guys, and it's amazing for you to have that many - I'd love to just write with one for a few days!

Suit Vicious

Reaction score
Cool thread! I collect pens but I gave me a limit of 10. It was hard to chose as there are so many fine classics. But every pen must be both, a well usable writing tool and a well looking accessory. So many had to go soon. Here is one of the nice ones, even if the cup is gold plated - OMAS 361/T

The Montblanc 264 is my best pen with an extra fine nib. Stunning writing quality but flexible.

BenLeaman

Reaction score

Those are some beautiful urushi pens, guys, and it's amazing for you to have that many - I'd love to just write with one for a few days!

Come hang out in Philly and you may fondle my....pens

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

A single i inserted in the wrong place can change that sentence drastically! :eek:

your nakayas bring all the boys to the yard....

write2chill

Reaction score
I am new to the pen collection world and started with minute purchases like the cross century II Marvel collection and like them a lot but have a question of storing my pens at my desk. Should I use a pen display case or just keep them in the drawer but they might scratch every time I close the drawer. What should I do?

franniegee

Reaction score
Hi I know the thread is old, but I was hoping to get in touch with someone with knowledge of collectible pens I recently found some with my grandmother's estate they are in cases and marked that they are handcrafted by Jack Murphy but I can't seem to find any mention of him online I was just wondering if anyone had heard of him and if so are his pens a collectible item? Thank you so much for your time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads