• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pen and Pen Collectors Thread. Who else likes nice pens?

randomhero88

Reaction score
I did a quick search that yielded no recent threads. We have a few watch threads so I figured, why not make a pen thread?

I personally, collect fountain pens, ballpoints, rollerballs, and even a few pencils.

I'd love to see if anyone else is a collector, or even if you have one nice pen you use daily.

Here's a picture of some of the pens I keep at the office. I just got the yellow Montegrappa Miya in today.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have 3 diplomat fountain pens I use on a regular basis.

BDA47DEE-A093-4005-871B-194870C10B8D-3408-0000024F1EC73F32.jpg

L-R
Excellence B with med nib.
vintage diplomat with fine nib.
Traveler with med nib.

I use piston converters in the Excellence and the Traveler, and refill cartridges in the vintage pen. I enjoy writing with a fountain pen, and the Diplomats are a great buy for the price.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice collection randomhero88.

randomhero88

Reaction score
Your diplomats are very nice as well. I actualy just sold a Special Edition Diplomat Fountain Pen about a month ago. It was extremely well made and honestly nicer than the cheaper Mont Blanc classiques that I've owned in the past. They're very underrated pens.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like this thread. Nice pens shown thus far. If I ever get around to taking pics, I'll post what I have. I don't consider myself a collector, but I have a few that I enjoy a lot.

randomhero88

Reaction score
I apologize for not embedding the image and for the poor responses. My computer is acting up and it keeps saying "Please enter something before you submit your post" or "this post could not be found to be edited."

With that said, I'll check out that thread rach2jlc. I always like new excuses to come to this forum.

Thanks

prozach1576

Reaction score
I don't have anything fancy, just a Lamy Safari that I fill with Noodler's Heart or Darkness ink. It writes great and I will never go back to relying primarily on roller ball pens.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I don't have anything fancy, just a Lamy Safari that I fill with Noodler's Heart or Darkness ink. It writes great and I will never go back to relying primarily on roller ball pens.

Agree. Had I bought a Lamy originally I never would have bought anything else.

That said, I do have a soft spot for my TWSBi 540 - it holds a ton of ink and writes well. Disassembly wasn't too bad, either.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As I said on the other thread, but it warrants saying again... nice collection, Kai.

A recent acquisition... before I left japan I thought I'd pick up a sailor, given the positive reviews here and elsewhere. This one is a black Somiko with the TIGP nib. Like Pilot, sailor is sort of like Toyota... making a corolla and making a Lexus. This one is toward the entry-level of their FPs... maybe in the whole lineup something like a Camry with leather interior (haha).

Was also offered a fair deal for a Pelikan demonstrator... anybody have experience? Worth a look?

Last edited:

randomhero88

Reaction score
I hope my computer isn't acting up today, but forgive me if my post comes out weird.

Quote:
Sailor makes excellent pens. I personally have been looking around for the right deal on a Limited Edition 1911 with a Fine 14k Nib. It's almost identical to my Mont Blanc 149, but they can be had for much much cheaper. As far as Pelikan pens. It depends which ones you are interested in. Generally speaking, their mid level and above pens are excellent. They made some very cheap pens in the 70s and 80s (many companies did). However, I wouldn't mind owning an M700, M800, or M1000 series Pelikan. Kai-You have a beautiful collection. I've had experience with similar pens to what you own. Your Montegrappa is absolutely beautiful. I actually just purchased a Montegrappa Miya Argento which is inferior to yours I know. My uncle has a blue/sterling Rollerball Miya Argento and after seeing his, I had to find me one. I was very impressed by the presentation box it came in. Comparatively, you get much more for your money than with Mont Blanc (although I personally never pay retail). Your Aurora Optima- I actually just sold mine about 2 months ago. It was just a simple Black/Gold Ballpoint, but it was a great pen for the value. Is that a brown Waterman Carene you have too? My mother actually owns the same pen in the same color but in a rollerball version. It has sat in her desk at home for about 3 years and I keep asking her if she'll let me add it to my collection. Very solid pen for the price. I'm most impressed by your blotter and desk set. It is absolutely beautiful. I inherited a marble inkwell from my great great grandfather. On the bottom, it's dated 1896. The pen for it is long gone, but I'm in the process of trying to convert it (without permanently modifying it) to have it fit my Mont Blanc 149.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few more:

Top is a Bossert & Erhard

Left to right: Wearever piston filler, Conway Stuart mechanical pencil, Conway Stuart lever filler, Shaefer lever filler.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Like the looks of the B&E. I must admit not being familiar with the brand; shall google forthwith!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads