1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fountain Pen and Pen Collectors Thread. Who else likes nice pens?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by randomhero88, Oct 15, 2012.

1. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Distinguished Member

Gorgeous collection.

2. pferrari

pferrari Member

ummm, just looked thru all 5 pages here and I'm thinking my Bic pen doesn't cut it. I really need to step up my pen game...who knew?

Love all the pens btw, some fantastic pieces.

3. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

This is a beautiful pen!

I use my MB 149 as my daily pen at work.

4. Ryan A

Ryan A New Member

All Japanese fountain pen.

[​IMG]

5. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

6. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

Sailor Pen--I'm happy with my 1911L too.

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

Love my Auroras. Broke my Lamy demonstrator the other day. Blue, Green, Red and Brown inks are my day-to-day inks.

8. Rugger

Rugger Senior Member

This may be an odd question, but has anyone seen any site online that offers some sort of beginner pack for pens? I'm not sure what kind/type/style I like and am hoping to try a bunch before purchasing anything. I'm reminded here of WarbyParker eye glasses..where you can effectively rent 5 pairs for a week to see what you like.

Ideally I would find 2-3 that I like, with at least one for daily notes/office work and one for handwritten notes. Your thoughts or recommendations? My price range is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015

9. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

^^^Most pen shops will allow you to test a few while you're in the store. Never heard of the type of deal you mentioned.

10. Rugger

Rugger Senior Member

How about some sub-$50 recommendations for fountain and rollerball? So far I've seen good reviews of lamy safari/al star and pilot 78g

11. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Distinguished Member

waterman phileas. looks, feels, and writes much better than lamy safari. and my other much more upmarket pens too if i have to be honest.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

Twsbi are good. I forget the names but the Chinese pens on ebay for 10ish are supposed to be good

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

I have a bunch of the chinese ones, they're really hit or miss. Baoer, Yongsheng, and Jinhao are the big brands. Some work great, some are utter garbage. Some somewhere in between. Fun to play around with- many of them look spectacular, and if you get one that works well, they're great value, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have an idea for how a decent pen is supposed to feel.

For a starter, I'd recommend Cross, they have some nice entry level models. The Bailey or the Stratford are both high quality, affordable pens, and easy to find on e-bay. You'll have to buy the converter separately, but they're very reliable pens that write quite smoothly.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015

14. Rugger

Rugger Senior Member

What about the pilot metropolitan? Seems to have replaced the popular pilot 78g.

A family member gave me a Waterman Exclusive from the 80s so that will be my first once I get it up and running.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

It's a popular and well regarded pen, but unlike the Crosses, I have no personal experience with it.

And a Waterman Exclusive is certainly a hell of a starter pen, what shape is it in? Might want to have it cleaned and have the nib tuned by a pro if you have one in town. If not, the nib is likely fine to use as is, just give it a nice flush. If there's old dried ink in the feed, an overnight soak might be justified.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015