1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pen and Pen Collectors Thread. Who else likes nice pens?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by randomhero88, Oct 15, 2012.

1. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

Gorgeous collection.

1 person likes this.
  2. pferrari

pferrari Member

ummm, just looked thru all 5 pages here and I'm thinking my Bic pen doesn't cut it. I really need to step up my pen game...who knew?

Love all the pens btw, some fantastic pieces.

3. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

[​IMG]

This is a beautiful pen!

I use my MB 149 as my daily pen at work.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ryan A

Ryan A New Member

All Japanese fountain pen.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Like those, good post man!

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Sailor Pen--I'm happy with my 1911L too.

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Love my Auroras. Broke my Lamy demonstrator the other day. Blue, Green, Red and Brown inks are my day-to-day inks.

8. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

This may be an odd question, but has anyone seen any site online that offers some sort of beginner pack for pens? I'm not sure what kind/type/style I like and am hoping to try a bunch before purchasing anything. I'm reminded here of WarbyParker eye glasses..where you can effectively rent 5 pairs for a week to see what you like.

Ideally I would find 2-3 that I like, with at least one for daily notes/office work and one for handwritten notes. Your thoughts or recommendations? My price range is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Most pen shops will allow you to test a few while you're in the store. Never heard of the type of deal you mentioned.

10. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

How about some sub-$50 recommendations for fountain and rollerball? So far I've seen good reviews of lamy safari/al star and pilot 78g

11. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

waterman phileas. looks, feels, and writes much better than lamy safari. and my other much more upmarket pens too if i have to be honest.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  12. edinatlanta

Twsbi are good. I forget the names but the Chinese pens on ebay for 10ish are supposed to be good

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I have a bunch of the chinese ones, they're really hit or miss. Baoer, Yongsheng, and Jinhao are the big brands. Some work great, some are utter garbage. Some somewhere in between. Fun to play around with- many of them look spectacular, and if you get one that works well, they're great value, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have an idea for how a decent pen is supposed to feel.

For a starter, I'd recommend Cross, they have some nice entry level models. The Bailey or the Stratford are both high quality, affordable pens, and easy to find on e-bay. You'll have to buy the converter separately, but they're very reliable pens that write quite smoothly.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  14. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

What about the pilot metropolitan? Seems to have replaced the popular pilot 78g.

A family member gave me a Waterman Exclusive from the 80s so that will be my first once I get it up and running.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It's a popular and well regarded pen, but unlike the Crosses, I have no personal experience with it.

And a Waterman Exclusive is certainly a hell of a starter pen, what shape is it in? Might want to have it cleaned and have the nib tuned by a pro if you have one in town. If not, the nib is likely fine to use as is, just give it a nice flush. If there's old dried ink in the feed, an overnight soak might be justified.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  16. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Senior member

Here are a couple that I am using today:

Top is a Montblanc 136 with a 14C OB nib
    Bottom is a second gen OMAS Extra Lucens from the 1930s

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i just bought the shaeffer vm. i really like the compact size. the grip isnt the most comfortable and it's a little too short for my hand, but i love the nib and i love the casing and feel of it. it takes international size cartridges tho which are kind of small

http://www.amazon.com/VFM-Matte-Bla...8&qid=1423504928&sr=8-1&keywords=sheaffer+vfm

1 person likes this.
  18. edinatlanta

Get a converter, They are like 3 bucks and now you can use bottled ink which... goodness is another can of excess purchases to open.

19. edinatlanta

Its also cheaper per ounce to use bottled ink than cartridges.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah i looked into converters but it appeared that it either didnt fit in this pen or there was literally no information about it. i didnt want the hassle of buying something and having to mod it or return it