• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found an iPhone 4S, not what?

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a Verizon iPhone 4S in a cab the other night. It was passcode locked.

Set it aside, waiting for the text / phone call of the owner looking for it.

Woke up - there were two missed calls ( cannot see the phone numbers) and then a text with a bunch of random #s and letters.

I'm assuming the text was some type of remote wipe - the phone no longer receives 3G service.

Took it to Apple - they didn't care, tole me to take it to Verizon.

Verizon said it has been wiped and the owner most likely had insurance on it that's why it was shut down. So they didn't care either.

What can I do with this thing now? Every google search leads me to some vortex of hacking / jailbreaking that I can't follow.

Verniza

Reaction score
Send it my way. I could dispose it for you at a nominal fee.

sns23

Reaction score
Then you can always return it to your local police station and claim it after it is not collected.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was thinking about selling it. Howerver, I'd like to avoid any blowback on me if it was reported as stolen or something. Is that possible?
No idea what the market for something like this is.

try to plug into pc w/itunes and restore it, if you can take out sim card idk if verizon iphones have sim car access

hobo style

Reaction score
Bring it to the cops. The phone can't be tracked after it has been wiped but is it really worth the slight risk of getting caught selling "stolen" goods? If you're about to get evicted because you can't make your rent then maybe, otherwise no.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bring it to the cops. The phone can't be tracked after it has been wiped but is it really worth the slight risk of getting caught selling "stolen" goods? If you're about to get evicted because you can't make your rent then maybe, otherwise no.

its not stolen if he found it and cant find owner

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

True, but he risks having to prove that if it's somehow tracked down.

I'd try to find a way to show you did your best to find the owner - perhaps what sns23 recommended - then either use it or sell it.

hobo style

Reaction score

I know it's not actually stolen, hence the quotes, but you might have a bit more trouble convincing the police. Generally speaking, the "I just found it in a cab" excuse doesn't really work with them -- just ask the guy who found that iPhone prototype. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/10/brian-hogan-sentenced/

He made multiple attempts to contact the owner and to contact Apple before he tried to sell it, but he still got busted. I know that Theyare didn't find a prototype but otherwise his situation is pretty much the same.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Call Apple. I'm curious as to what they'd say since they log all ESN numbers. If you try to activate it with your carrier (The 4S will work on all carriers when unlocked) and try to update it, will Apple blacklist the phone?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I know it's not actually stolen, hence the quotes, but you might have a bit more trouble convincing the police. Generally speaking, the "I just found it in a cab" excuse doesn't really work with them -- just ask the guy who found that iPhone prototype. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/10/brian-hogan-sentenced/
He made multiple attempts to contact the owner and to contact Apple before he tried to sell it, but he still got busted. I know that Theyare didn't find a prototype but otherwise his situation is pretty much the same.

totally different situation,

nothing will happen for selling that phone, people do this all the time on craigslist not an issue.

Call Apple. I'm curious as to what they'd say since they log all ESN numbers. If you try to activate it with your carrier (The 4S will work on all carriers when unlocked) and try to update it, will Apple blacklist the phone?

apple wont blacklist phone, i;ve had situations where a family member upgraded and then gave phone to another person, att just activated it thats it.

sns23

Reaction score

Just because he did not steal it does not mean it's not stolen. A thief could have stole it and then left in the cab.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

apple wont blacklist phone, i;ve had situations where a family member upgraded and then gave phone to another person, att just activated it thats it.

Ah, but in that instance, the phone wasn't remote wiped. I'm curious if the remote wipe also sends a signal to either Verizon or Apple that the phone was stolen and the ESN should be blacklisted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads