• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found a zegna suit, worth buying to resell?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I found a Zegna black pinstripe 3-button today, a 42 reg I believe, that was really nice (I admit to knowing little about their stuff) but not for me. Almost fit, but would need a few inches taken out of the stomach to start with. It was 'previously altered' but looked almost new, and priced somewhere between $130-$200 (can't remember). Its Zegna tag was 'crossed out' with a marker. I believe the pricetag said it was originally over $1000. Would this be worth buying to resell on ebay, or a waste of time?

Thanks.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a Zegna black pinstripe 3-button today, a 42 reg I believe, that was really nice (I admit to knowing little about their stuff) but not for me. Almost fit, but would need a few inches taken out of the stomach to start with. It was 'previously altered' but looked almost new, and priced somewhere between $130-$200 (can't remember). Its Zegna tag was 'crossed out' with a marker. I believe the pricetag said it was originally over $1000. Would this be worth buying to resell on ebay, or a waste of time?

Thanks.
If it was closer to the $130 price, and the alterations aren't too drastic, then I'd go for it. Zegna does very well on ebay; even newer used suits bring $250, so I think you could expect $400 or so for this. I'll let A Harris and the other ebay sellers throw some comments in, though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I honestly can't remember, but it was probably closer to the $200 price. But if I could get $4-something for it I would do it, probably. It is a nice suit, for someone else. I noticed that it had the lapel specifically constructed to roll to the top button, (and thus look cheesy, IMO) which disappointed me. Otherwise I would have considered it for myself. I guess I still might, if I bought it to sell and actually got it home. It's dangerous...

aybojs

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't bother; for every used soiled Zegna soft suit that hits the jackpot with $300 in bids, there are a bunch of regular Zegna's that don't break $100. True, a lot of those results are more the function of limited skills on the part of the seller, but I don't think that even a really good seller could reliably expect to get $300+ for a pre-owned Zegna, even after waiting several auction periods for it to sell. $400 is unrealistic for a Zegna suit that's not NWT.

I'm always pretty conservative in my estimates, but I'd set the high range of my expectations at $200-225 or so, assuming high quality pictures and text. At that price, I'd pass now and maybe pick it up if it gets substantially discounted.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Probably a good call. I got a bit excited on seeing it because I don't have access to the good buy-for-resale venues that a lot of other cities have. It's rare to even see a Zegna suit at this particular store anyway, let alone one at such a deep discount. I'll probably go back and check it- if it is $120 and could be made to fit me it might still be worth buying for 'eventual' sale.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it is new yes, as you could sell it for $400-$500. If it's used, probably not, as it would only fetch $200-$300.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's "As new, previously altered". I don't know if it's been worn, but I doubt it has all the tags and as I said the inside tag has been crossed out with a marker. I might check it out again, but I doubt I'll do it. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads