1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Found a zegna suit, worth buying to resell?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Oct 14, 2004.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

I found a Zegna black pinstripe 3-button today, a 42 reg I believe, that was really nice (I admit to knowing little about their stuff) but not for me. Almost fit, but would need a few inches taken out of the stomach to start with. It was 'previously altered' but looked almost new, and priced somewhere between $130-$200 (can't remember). Its Zegna tag was 'crossed out' with a marker. I believe the pricetag said it was originally over $1000. Would this be worth buying to resell on ebay, or a waste of time?

Thanks.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

If it was closer to the $130 price, and the alterations aren't too drastic, then I'd go for it. Zegna does very well on ebay; even newer used suits bring $250, so I think you could expect $400 or so for this. I'll let A Harris and the other ebay sellers throw some comments in, though.

3. j

j Senior member Admin

I honestly can't remember, but it was probably closer to the $200 price. But if I could get $4-something for it I would do it, probably. It is a nice suit, for someone else. I noticed that it had the lapel specifically constructed to roll to the top button, (and thus look cheesy, IMO) which disappointed me. Otherwise I would have considered it for myself. I guess I still might, if I bought it to sell and actually got it home. It's dangerous...

4. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I personally wouldn't bother; for every used soiled Zegna soft suit that hits the jackpot with $300 in bids, there are a bunch of regular Zegna's that don't break $100. True, a lot of those results are more the function of limited skills on the part of the seller, but I don't think that even a really good seller could reliably expect to get $300+ for a pre-owned Zegna, even after waiting several auction periods for it to sell. $400 is unrealistic for a Zegna suit that's not NWT.

I'm always pretty conservative in my estimates, but I'd set the high range of my expectations at $200-225 or so, assuming high quality pictures and text. At that price, I'd pass now and maybe pick it up if it gets substantially discounted.

5. j

j Senior member Admin

Probably a good call. I got a bit excited on seeing it because I don't have access to the good buy-for-resale venues that a lot of other cities have. It's rare to even see a Zegna suit at this particular store anyway, let alone one at such a deep discount. I'll probably go back and check it- if it is $120 and could be made to fit me it might still be worth buying for 'eventual' sale.

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

If it is new yes, as you could sell it for $400-$500. If it's used, probably not, as it would only fetch $200-$300.

7. j

j Senior member Admin

It's "As new, previously altered". I don't know if it's been worn, but I doubt it has all the tags and as I said the inside tag has been crossed out with a marker. I might check it out again, but I doubt I'll do it. Thanks for the input, everyone.