• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foster & Sons ready made shoes thread

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EG is far pricier. Same with most Lobb. G&G is often ugly and overly aggressive or dandy.
Not sure what you’re looking at but the top end Fosters are in the same price range as EG, JL, and G&G before any markdowns. You can call G&G overly aggressive and ugly but at least they carved out a niche where enough people are buying their shoes and managed to survive.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Not sure what you’re looking at but the top end Fosters are in the same price range as EG, JL, and G&G before any markdowns. You can call G&G overly aggressive and ugly but at least they carved out a niche where enough people are buying their shoes and managed to survive.

Just looking at the companies' own websites. Sure, top end FS are similar, but there isn't just a top line. Lobb also sells $3,000 rtw, but that doesn't mean that is their main offering.

I am not saying that FS had the best business plan, just that I don't think aesthetics were what did them in. The pandemic seemed to be a big problem and DWW alluded to behind the scenes problems.

In terms of aesthetics, they don't seem that different than Lobb. Everything is tasteful and well-made, but very little is distinctive.

sforum1

Reaction score
Are they? Retail for G&G is 900GBP but F&S is 1350GBP. Big difference, is it not?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On one of the topics discussed the previous pages, I think few brands were so clear in writing out many of their specifications as F&S with their RTW. This is the list of the basic range, found on all product descriptions:
  • Oak bark tanned leather sole (tanned for 12 months)
  • Upper cut by hand from best area of hide
  • Upper reinforced with leather side lining
  • Leather stiffeners
  • Upper sewing at 13spi
  • all upper sewing performed on a single needle machine
  • Insole and stiffeners cut from the best quality shoulder
  • Lasted by hand
  • Cork filling with Beech wood shank
  • Channel opened by hand
  • Heels built up on shoe by hand (outside attached)
  • Edges of sole and heel hand stained and polished
  • Hand seat wheeled
  • Hand top-ironed
  • Upper hand burnished and dressed
  • Finger polished by hand
And there several things were real "usps" compared to other premium brands (EG, G&G, JLP), marked with bold, since none of the others for exempel also have toe stiffeners in leather, and all use pre-built heels.

Problem here is, for almost everyone this doesn't mean anything, they don't understand that it is something that set F&S apart (I believe few SFers know, bear in mind the "general" "high-end office worker"/menswear/shoe guy who looked at buying their shoes). They would have to not only state what they did, but also that some of it their competitors didn't and what these things mean for the final shoe, and then that you'd get it at a lower price (for basic range).

I agree with the statement that basic range was underpriced, the plan would likely have been to put them there to attract some of the C&J HG, EG, JLP classic etc customers and have them try this now when new, and understand how good they were and spread the word, while the F&S top range was priced as should, hence the steap leap in price between the two ranges.

sforum1

Reaction score
On one of the topics discussed the previous pages, I think few brands were so clear in writing out many of their specifications as F&S with their RTW. This is the list of the basic range, found on all product descriptions:
  • Oak bark tanned leather sole (tanned for 12 months)
  • Upper cut by hand from best area of hide
  • Upper reinforced with leather side lining
  • Leather stiffeners
  • Upper sewing at 13spi
  • all upper sewing performed on a single needle machine
  • Insole and stiffeners cut from the best quality shoulder
  • Lasted by hand
  • Cork filling with Beech wood shank
  • Channel opened by hand
  • Heels built up on shoe by hand (outside attached)
  • Edges of sole and heel hand stained and polished
  • Hand seat wheeled
  • Hand top-ironed
  • Upper hand burnished and dressed
  • Finger polished by hand
And there several things were real "usps" compared to other premium brands (EG, G&G, JLP), marked with bold, since none of the others for exempel also have toe stiffeners in leather, and all use pre-built heels.

Problem here is, for almost everyone this doesn't mean anything, they don't understand that it is something that set F&S apart (I believe few SFers know, bear in mind the "general" "high-end office worker"/menswear/shoe guy who looked at buying their shoes). They would have to not only state what they did, but also that some of it their competitors didn't and what these things mean for the final shoe, and then that you'd get it at a lower price (for basic range).
Let me ask you a question, if we were to believe these descriptions and take them at face value, can you by looking at these descriptions explain to us what is so special about the high-end pairs that makes them a massive 650GBP (before vat) more expensive? List 3 things that make them different.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me ask you a question, if we were to believe these descriptions and take them at face value, can you by looking at these descriptions explain to us what is so special about the high-end pairs that makes them a massive 650GBP (before vat) more expensive? List 3 things that make them different.

Sorry, I don't understand the question?

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
(1) canted heels (2) slimmer welt finished by hand and (3) welt wheeled. And because I'm nice (4) lasted shoe trees. Name 3.141 things that JLP prestige is better than their normal line and how deco is better than normal GG. They don't even make lasted shoe trees!! Do I win a prize?

sforum1

Reaction score
(1) canted heels (2) slimmer welt finished by hand and (3) welt wheeled. And because I'm nice (4) lasted shoe trees. Name 3.141 things that JLP prestige is better than their normal line and how deco is better than normal GG. They don't even make lasted shoe trees!! Do I win a prize?
I'll give you a 50% coupon off of MSRP to get a pair. It's automatically applied at checkout.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give you a 50% coupon off of MSRP to get a pair. It's automatically applied at checkout.

From my previous reply:

"I agree with the statement that basic range was underpriced, the plan would likely have been to put them there to attract some of the C&J HG, EG, JLP classic etc customers and have them try this now when new, and understand how good they were and spread the word, while the F&S top range was priced as should, hence the steap leap in price between the two ranges."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads