• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foster & Sons ready made shoes thread

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Foster & Sons open most new Northampton shoe factory in England 2 year ago.
Crockett & Jones and others used to make the shoes but now the Foster & Son make them in their own factory.
The shoes are Edward Green quality according to a Foster worker who worked in bespoke department and help draw designs for the new ready made range.
Many E.G worker left to work at the Foster& Sons.
The designs based on bespoke samples.
The designs very very good.
The shoes very very good.
Good to see another new Northampton factory,
me like it very much.

Shoes come in two range.
High range have special bespoke feature with close cut waist and rounded waist that sit next to square heel that give the special `notch' only G&G deco and E.G top draw have.
It have more feature it cost more money.

More low range

Fosters rtw 1.jpg Fosters rtw 2.jpg Fosters rtw 3.jpg

More high range

Fosters rtw 8.jpg Fosters rtw 9.jpg

Me like this the black derby.

Fosters rtw 10.jpg Fosters rtw 11.jpg Fosters rtw 12.jpg

Cr1982

Reaction score
Looks great. Does anyone have first-hand experience with them?
I'd be interested in how the Keble compares to the EG Dover.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The high range looks pretty nice. The low range looks really low range.

SRV

Reaction score
Ordered a pair of Foster & Son St. James online. Received the pair and the upper, welting, soles all look well made. But, the leather insoles seem to have been either peeled off or not placed in the first place in these shoes.

I am attaching the pictures and want to understand why this could have happened? You can see the glue that was left over for the sock leather insole to be potentially attached and I could feel the sticky glue on the insoles! When I sent an email with photos attached to Foster & Son's customer service, they claim that "The St James is made with a half sock as they are made with a high quality insole".

I have other pairs of Edward Greene's and C&J hand grade shoes that never had this issue. I wanted to poll the forum members who have other Foster & Son shoes to see if there is any truth to what the customer service is claiming or is it just a bunch of condescending BS from them!

Thanks in advance

IMG_2370.jpg IMG_2371.jpg IMG_2372.jpg

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40% off all remaining shoes in stock... things are not looking too good F&S.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Or they need cash while they are looking for funding?

sforum1

Reaction score
Can anyone who bought recently comment on sizing?

ZRH1

Reaction score
also, are the high end prices worth it after the rebate? ie. loafers for 850GBP. Thank you!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, are the high end prices worth it after the rebate? ie. loafers for 850GBP. Thank you!

If re-crafting the shoes at the original factory means something to you then perhaps money better invested in another maker? The factory was closed recently and it doesn't seem like they'll be re-opening. One of the reasons I pay for premium for brands like EG & C&J etc is the knowledge that they can at some point down the line be re-crafted at the factory and given a new lease of life.

IIRC Foster & Son was recently acquired with help from a Japanese consortium (The Armoury?) who decided to pull out so maybe they are restructuring their operation.

Last edited:

ZRH1

Reaction score
If re-crafting the shoes at the original factory means something to you then perhaps money better invested in another maker? The factory was closed recently and it doesn't seem like they'll be re-opening. One of the reasons I pay for premium for brands like EG & C&J etc is the knowledge that they can at some point down the line be re-crafted at the factory and given a new lease of life.

IIRC Foster & Son was recently acquired with help from a Japanese consortium (The Armoury?) who decided to pull out so maybe they are restructuring their operation.

thanks for the feedback, a good point to think about.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Isn't the Armoury out of HK and not Japan? I know they do a lot of stuff with Ring Jacket from Japan, but I think RJ is its own entity that has been around for quite some time...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads