• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foster & Son

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've decided to take the bespoke shoe plunge while in London over the holidays and have narrowed it down to a few makers based on what I've seen and heard. The one that I've been able to find the least information on is Foster & Son. I simply love Kuwana's beige beauties on his website and would look to possibly replicate his choice with a slightly different color. Question, have any of you guys tried the firms service? If not have you heard anything about them good, bad or otherwise? http://homepage2.nifty.com/cobblers-...unt100-top.htm

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, shoefan's sources in the industry insist that Terry Moore is the most talented lastmaker in London, so you should be in good hands. Two things to consider, though. First, you will need to have at least one fitting; and to the best of my knowledge, Terry Moore does not travel. That means at least two trips to London, not one. Second, my understanding is that Mr. Moore is already in semi-retirement. There are no guarantees about what will become of the firm when he goes into full retirement.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would go for pitched heels, though. But these shoes have some retro look I like.

!luc

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcusey
Well, shoefan's sources in the industry insist that Terry Moore is the most talented lastmaker in London, so you should be in good hands. Two things to consider, though. First, you will need to have at least one fitting; and to the best of my knowledge, Terry Moore does not travel. That means at least two trips to London, not one. Second, my understanding is that Mr. Moore is already in semi-retirement. There are no guarantees about what will become of the firm when he goes into full retirement.
Hrm, well this is somewhat troubling. I suspect this would be a one and done type deal so I might be alright. Is Tony G still planning on making trips to the states with his new venture?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Is Tony G still planning on making trips to the states with his new venture?

Yes. Paul Davies (The London Shoemaker) also comes to NYC quarterly.

shoefan

Reaction score
My impression is that Foster & Sons is in no danger of disappearing; their owners seem committed to maintaining or growing the business. Also, once you have your last made, future shoes (with the same toe shape) could of course be made on the same lasts.

I also don't think Terry is going anywhere soon, although he is working only 2 days per week, I believe. So, if you are going to use Fosters, make sure to phone ahead and make an appointment to see Terry.

FWIW, Terry is the 'real deal.' He has been in the trade for 55 (!) years and has a very deep understanding of the entire shoemaking process, as well as a great knowledge of shoemaking history and methods. He even knows all about the selection, felling, and curing of trees/lumber for the production of last blanks.

Certainly, Tony G and Paul Davies are very capable as well, but if you want the Fosters' toe shape you reference, Terry would be a great choice.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Yes. Paul Davies (The London Shoemaker) also comes to NYC quarterly.

And Cleverley comes over twice a year, and Lobb St. James is in NYC at least 4 times a year. And that's just the Brits.

Look at it this way, though, whnay: going with Foster's is a perfect excuse to book two trips to London.
devil.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
My impression is that Foster & Sons is in no danger of disappearing; their owners seem committed to maintaining or growing the business. Also, once you have your last made, future shoes (with the same toe shape) could of course be made on the same lasts.

I also don't think Terry is going anywhere soon, although he is working only 2 days per week, I believe. So, if you are going to use Fosters, make sure to phone ahead and make an appointment to see Terry.

Do you know if Terry has an assistant lastmaker working with him?

iyorito

Reaction score
Yes, Terry has an assistant last maker. Micky. Young talented guy.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Micky Chaggar seems a very clued in fellow who makes his own lasts. After a problem with my wife's shoes which were made to a near finished state by one of the new people (without a fitting without a sole) he and Emiko both knew she would reject them and he is starting again in a completely different style.

Try to make sure you see Emiko or Micky rather than one of the newer people. It probably does not matter on a conventional shoe with a well shaped foot but for anything more complicated I'm pretty sure it does.

He is also charming especially with the girls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads