• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foster and Son brogues

Avebury

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has bought the Foster and Son "Cavendish" on the 88 last, Edward Green made? I believe it's the Foster and Son/EG version of the "Ashwood", made by Crockett and Jones. Pics would be great. It's in the EG price range, so top end. Foster and Son have also got a full brogue "Thornham" and a semi-brogue "Sandringham" on the 337 last. Not sure of the colour range, but I know you can get brogues in chestnut, which is a major + for me personally. Outside of this there's the bench-grade CJ "Finsbury" (I think) and the EG "Malvern". May be something new there - I haven't popped in recently. Or could be purely EG. Don't know.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was of the opinion that they were phasing out the Edward Green's? Although I may have got this confused with New & Lingwood. I can check tomorrow morning when I get my hair cut at Geo F. Trumper.

Avebury

Reaction score
I had an e-mail from Foster and Son t'other day saying that they had re-introduced the EG version. The "Thornham" and the "Sandringham" may be new semi/brogues on the block. I'm going to bite the bullet and get an EG made one at some point - chestnut, and not 337.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I was of the opinion that they were phasing out the Edward Green's?

Foster started last season to offer a range of EG shoes as their top range. Although, I believe, the shoes are labelled as "˜Foster & Son', the company is quite open about these shoes being made by EG. As far as I can see, the designs are basic EG: I recall Malvern, Chelsea, Dover. They might have different names under the Foster label, there also might by slight design-changes (different medallion for example). Very similar in principle to the RLPL ranges.

The lasts on which Fosters ordered those shoes might be different from what EG uses as default for a certain style. I believe, the 88 last was initially created for Foster. Although EG did use that last for their own shoes, they do not use that last at present (unless for special orders). EG did replace the 88 with the 808 and more recently with the 888.

If you can go to the shop and try on for fit, no problem. Otherwise I would sa,y the 88 is a bit shorter and a bit tighter across the toes and over the instep than most other EG lasts. I would say, that last runs about ¼ size smaller than the 202.

That said, 88 is one of the most beautiful lasts John Hlustik, the man who rescued EG from the brink of bankruptcy, allegedly always spoke about "the great 88".

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The models "Highclere" and "Sandringham" are made for them to Fosters patterns on the Crockett & Jones 337 last. "Cavendish" & "Portman" are on the Edward Green 88 last, which they have used for many years and "Hamble" Monk strap and "Fitzwilliam" Cambridge shoe are on the EG 606.

HTH
Speed
PS can post pictures of these later ....

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went this morning. Fairly simple range, no full brogues i believe and mostly cap toes. Nice antiquing as you'd expect from EG. All the necessary hallmarks there, and would consider buying from them, but seems a bit silly not to just walk a further one hundred metres down the street.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From an old e-mail:
"We have selected the 88 last to give a timeless elegance to the Cap and Full Brogue Oxfords, and the 888 last with a sharper profile for our Semi-Brogue and 2 tie Derby. Our Cambridge and single buckled Monks are on the 606."

emorse

Reaction score
Are the prices in line with EG? Or does WS Foster give a little more bang for the buck since they are rebranding?

They are visiting Chicago next month and I am thinking of stopping by to pick up some RTW models. Any thoughts appreciated.

Avebury

Reaction score
May be a tad more. I think the EG brogue retails at £510, the F&S at £565. Can't be sure though.

emorse

Reaction score
Why would they cost more? That doesn't make sense. If Foster doesn't produce the shoes, how could they command a higher price for than the actual (probably more exclusive) maker?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Presumably, they have to buy the shoe off EG, and therefore do not have the same mark up as their costs are different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads