• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forum Segmentation

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are there a whole variety of sub-fora on the forum, to allow topics to be organized and easy to follow... yet within Streetwear and Denim, there is a 200-page thread that is supposed to address all questions related to jeans. Why don't we just have one single thread for every single discussion? The whole point of having sub-fora and threading is to allow different conversations on different topics to be separated. It also makes searching hard. Because of my fear of posting a denim question anywhere but in that thread, I don't own any proper jeans. I protest.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just get APCs (size down 2 to account for stretching) and then once you have them read up all the various denim threads on here and superfuture and choose one that you like the best. i was just reading about a company that hides the levi's red tab and to get it out you have to cut some blue thread. i forget what it was called, but details like that make you really appreciate the hard work that goes into making the jeans (and the price too!).

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Why are there a whole variety of sub-fora on the forum, to allow topics to be organized and easy to follow... yet within Streetwear and Denim, there is a 200-page thread that is supposed to address all questions related to jeans.

Why don't we just have one single thread for every single discussion?

The whole point of having sub-fora and threading is to allow different conversations on different topics to be separated.

It also makes searching hard.
[/url]

QFT

wiru

Reaction score
Why don't we just have one single thread for every single discussion?
Because the front page was clogged with small questions threads. You just need to read and research like everyone else. Your question is pretty generic, so the only answers you'll get are the same generic ones that have been give out dozens of times already.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiru
Because the front page was clogged with small questions threads...

That's what forums are for. You don't create a forum and then hope no one posts.

However, if the intention is to ensure more advanced or serious threads don't get swept away, I would suggest beginner denim and advanced denim fora. Or an FAQ.

wiru

Reaction score
Or an FAQ
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=13912
http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...ad.php?t=12729

It's just, having the same threads with the same questions over and over again doesn't add much to the forum.

Don't mean to sound harsh -- I was guilty of a useless thread or two when I first joined.
smile.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handy. I will review the APC sizing FAQ. However, I still think a beginner forum, versus a single massive thread, is better.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Jesus. That APC thread is the same problem, repeated. It's 193 ******* pages long! I am not reading 193 pages to have my question answered. I will read the first three, the last three, and then I will create a new thread.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Dear Jesus. That APC thread is the same problem, repeated. It's 193 ******* pages long! I am not reading 193 pages to have my question answered. I will read the first three, the last three, and then I will create a new thread.

Amen! I'm with you 100%.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Then you will get chastised for it and most likely won't get your question answered.

So what's the difference?

jagmqt

Reaction score
If you're too lazy to learn, just get a pair of wranglers and move on.

Have some pride. Get involved. I can't believe you want strangers to tell you how to dress and what to buy. Do the research. Know what you're buying and why you're buying it. If you ask an educated question, the people here will help.

I'm not trying to be mean, but take a step back and look at what you're doing here. You're right, a forum is for discussion...and while there are questions and answers, it is not a Q&A site. It appears you're simply trying to take advantage of the others--knowledge that they've taken years to acquire--without even using the resources they've already offered. That may not be your intention, but that's how it reads.

jag

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The problem with "beginner" forums is that they do not hold much appeal for those who are no longer beginners. Answering questions becomes a charity case, especially when the questions are answered over and over elsewhere. Why should I spend my time answering questions I've answered five times before? If someone has to do the heavy lifting, it should be the person requesting help, not the person providing it.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If someone has to do the heavy lifting, it should be the person requesting help, not the person providing it.

+1

K

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
If you're too lazy to learn, just get a pair of wranglers and move on. Have some pride. Get involved. I can't believe you want strangers to tell you how to dress and what to buy. Do the research. Know what you're buying and why you're buying it. If you ask an educated question, the people here will help. I'm not trying to be mean, but take a step back and look at what you're doing here. You're right, a forum is for discussion...and while there are questions and answers, it is not a Q&A site. It appears you're simply trying to take advantage of the others--knowledge that they've taken years to acquire--without even using the resources they've already offered. That may not be your intention, but that's how it reads. jag
You're right. I made it sound like I wanted to be lazy. Use the search function and all that. I don't expect to post my every question and have it answered within seconds by people with 10,000+ posts. My original point was - vBulletin, phpBB, etc. are all structured in the way they are (versus the old-school forum formats that used to be much more common) to allow threading - organization. Big threads defeat the purpose. Without getting into why and being pedantic, it is much easier to search titles rather than posts. For the record, I did post in the denim mega-thread at the same time as I posted this thread, and I got an answer. Now I know what to research to develop an understanding of the topic, so that I can answer my own questions. Since I haven't managed to change the world, I now retire from this thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads