• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forum news - broken topics

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I received notice that a couple of the topics in the Clothing forum were broken and did some investigating. I found one corrupt post db file that was messing up the database and removed it from where it could do damage, hopefully. This means one post will probably have mysteriously vanished and at the moment there is no way to figure out which (that I know of). It wasn't very recent. However, the backup function on the maintenance CP is still crashing late in the process with an Internal Server Error (the same one that you all probably see from time to time) which gives me no indication of what the problem is.

A larger problem, however, is that the forum (happily) is outgrowing the type of database it is running on (unhappily). I was not informed of this at the beginning, but the "DBM" type database is not suitable for heavy use and thousands of posts and tends to get corrupted. The other good option is a mySQL db, but it appears my web server (with whom I am increasingly unhappy) does not support that at this time. So I will probably be hunting for a new server for the forum and/or trying to get mySQL installed on my current server, and then migrating to mySQL on some server. All of this should be seamless with a little downtime and I will be sure to back up the whole forum a couple of times on different computers so we can always at least reference the info that is already here.

Hopefully, I will be able to get this done pretty soon, and it should run better and less glitchily(?) after the process.

In the meantime, PLEASE, (I suppose I should have pinned this somewhere at the beginning of the forum), DO NOT EVER compose anything large and original (like a custom shirt manifesto, etc.) in the "Enter your Post" box. This applies to ALL Internet forums; believe me, I know, having been frustrated by various glitches in all the systems and login problems, cookie problems, cable modem going out, etc. ALWAYS simply start a "new text file" or similar on your computer's Desktop, compose your piece, saving regularly, and then cut and paste it into the Post box. It will take you about 5 more seconds and save you much torn out hair and me and others the empathic disappointment of losing a composition on my forum. This is not, of course, to blame anyone, as it is not glaringly obvious especially to a forum neophyte; it is simply to try to prevent the loss of original composition in the future.

And on that note, it's been a good year around here, looks like people are still enjoying it, so I guess I will renew the domain name (the 60-day warning email just came a couple days ago). Happy belated holidays and have a good and safe (and of course stylish) New Year's celebration.

J.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks J..

Please let us know if contributions are needed to keep the forum running. I'm sure everyone would be glad to help.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear J. Thanks for the update. Just so that you are aware, the Custom Shirt Article was composed on my desktop, formatting and all, and then pasted in as you suggested. The problem may be larger than you suppose at the present time. Best of luck getting it fixed. If anyone here can help, just let us know. I have now posted the article on my website only for Members as some had requested. Custom Shirt Article for Members Only

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads