• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The penalty for Grosjean was stupid. He wasn't dive-bombing, just alongside and lost traction.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good analysis of the RIC/VAN/MAG collision in T2:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20 yada yada yada, but it now seems clear that Mercedes should have put Ocon in the second car. In similar circumstances, McLaren gave Hamilton the chance, and look how that turned out.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20 yada yada yada, but it now seems clear that Mercedes should have put Ocon in the second car. In similar circumstances, McLaren gave Hamilton the chance, and look how that turned out.

I don’t see the problem. Hamilton won the wdc, Bottas did a great job securing the wcc. Oh plus they still have Ocon under contract. What else could the team ask for?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t see the problem. Hamilton won the wdc, Bottas did a great job securing the wcc. Oh plus they still have Ocon under contract. What else could the team ask for?

An intra-team rivalry we want to watch?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did not intend to frame it as a problem, just as a missed opportunity. Now that things have tightened up, MB is far more reliant on the skill of the driver to secure the titles. I don't think Bottas could lead that charge if Hamilton stopped racing. I suspect that Ocon could, so why not get him up to speed when you're covered?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did not intend to frame it as a problem, just as a missed opportunity. Now that things have tightened up, MB is far more reliant on the skill of the driver to secure the titles. I don't think Bottas could lead that charge if Hamilton stopped racing. I suspect that Ocon could, so why not get him up to speed when you're covered?

I think you're too high on Ocon. He's on par with Perez, whose good but not top tier. I doubt Ocon could beat Bottas.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bottas seems to have no killer instinct. Even if we think that he's as fast as Ocon (or Perez), I don't think he can outrace them. To be fair, if the rest of the grid were made up of Kimi clones, Bottas would have some fight for them. :)

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bottas seems to have no killer instinct. Even if we think that he's as fast as Ocon (or Perez), I don't think he can outrace them. To be fair, if the rest of the grid were made up of Kimi clones, Bottas would have some fight for them. :)

I love to disagree with you, but this time I can't.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LOL. I like Bottas, BTW, and I thought he would do much better over the course of the year. At the beginning, he looked the business. Who knows? Maybe he'll have a good think over the winter and coming out fighting in 2018.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, the first few races I thought that too. But I think Bottas realized that Hamilton's 2 tenths are there too often to develop any confidence you can beat him. I played football in HS, I recall clearly facing teams where that first play, that first hit, you knew you were hosed, and games where it took a few plays to realize you were beat, but it was a matter of how much. The latter happened to Bottas. It's a testament to what Rosberg did.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So either Nico is much better than most people give him credit for or Bottas isn’t really that good...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So either Nico is much better than most people give him credit for or Bottas isn’t really that good...

Bottas is competent. Nico is better than he was given credit for being.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nico was good. But he needed Hamilton's car to fail in order to beat him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads