• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Raikkonen's giving Vettel a run for the money now... where was the Lotus car last year again?

It's a Renault works team though really, after all the Lotus/ team Lotus name rights shenanigans of last year.

Eventful race, seems concentrating on race pace is the way to go this season with the tyres being so sensitive. Good to see Di Resta get some points with a two stopper.
McLaren obviously have an issue with their wheel nuts. Apparently aluminium nuts onto a titanium shaft, so perhaps there is a x-thread or expansion issue.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The tires are so sensitive its just beyond belief. They are dominating the show. All you hear the announcers talking about is tires, tires, tires. I've never seen such wildly divergent results and performances race to race, but even from qualifying to race. Its all due to tires.

For Kimi to start 11th and challenge for the win is just wild.

The tires seem to perform very differently across teams at different track temperatures. I think this is the main reason we see these wild swings. Its literally a couple of track temp degrees either way and a Ferrari wins and Red Bull is 6th or just as easily a McLaren wins and Ferrari finishes 10th. Each car's aero characteristics hook the tires up in different ranges and the operational range of these Pirelli's is extremely narrow.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love how people hated the bridgestones for being ultra predictible now are complaining about the pirellis.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love how people hated the bridgestones for being ultra predictible now are complaining about the pirellis.

I'm kind of complaining but not really. I'm just pointing out the over emphasis on tires now where as in years past it was all about 'dirty air' and aero. That was worse. At least tires are mechanical grip and dont stop cars getting near each other.

What did you guys make of Rosberg x2 pushing drivers off the track? He didnt get punished.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very obnoxious of him. IMagine the vitriol if it was Hamilton or Schumacher. Very lucky that he's so anonymous the stewards didn't care to penalise him. I hope the Lotus' stay strong over the course of the season. Always liked the team from Enstone (and Kimi of course). By the way, Red Bull is Renault's works team. Lotus is just another customer now.

xpress

Reaction score
As a huge Hamilton fan, I was a tad demoralized weekend.
12 second pitstops FTL.

I'm waiting for the top runners to completely giving up on qualifying, and starting from the back of the pack with all fresh tires.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Schumacher's race showed it's not doable. And why do that when people like rosberg and vettel can win from pole?

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The tires are so sensitive its just beyond belief. They are dominating the show. All you hear the announcers talking about is tires, tires, tires

It can't be as bad as the 2005 season when half the grid couldn't race because they had defective Michelin tires while the other half on Bridgestone could.

But I do have to say the results have been pretty wild and qualifying in the top six places means very little this season.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It can't be as bad as the 2005 season when half the grid couldn't race because they had defective Michelin tires while the other half on Bridgestone could.
But I do have to say the results have been pretty wild and qualifying in the top six places means very little this season.

Agreed. These Pirellis are certainly a double edged sword. They make for some great racing, but are forcing the drivers to be less aggressive per Schumi's comments, he's right. Vettel's secret last season was opening the race with a couple of quali laps and then keeping a 3 - 5 second lead all race. He tried that Sunday and it pretty much failed... Kimi caught him and should have passed.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Weird people complaining about races that for once aren't predictable. I still hate the DRS and wonder what the races would be like without them but jesus, F1 fans love to complain. I suppose a tire war with still heavily limited testing would be a middle ground but who knows people will start whining that the races are now determined by the teams with the best tire...:rolleyes:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought it was one of the better races so far. Feel bad for Mcclaren. Just couldn't pull it together at all. Glad Jensen got some points though. Was really hoping for a Kimi win.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17816565

By Gary Anderson, BBC F1 technical analyst. Makes some very informed pertinent points, especially with regards to Schumi and his tyre bitchin'.

When I was involved with Bridgestone tyres with Jordan in the early 2000s, in the middle of the tyre war with Michelin, Schumacher and Ferrari had tyres we were not even allowed to look at.

They cost so much money that Bridgestone could not afford to supply them to everyone. And whenever we did have an opportunity to run a derivative of those tyres, our lap times were much, much better.

It's a bit sad that Michael now sees things the other way around, because a lot of his competitiveness in those days was down to the working relationship he and Ferrari had with Bridgestone, one to which nobody else had access.
Now there's a standard tyre, it's down to him and Mercedes to get it working properly, not point the finger at the supplier.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Weird people complaining about races that for once aren't predictable. I still hate the DRS and wonder what the races would be like without them but jesus, F1 fans love to complain. I suppose a tire war with still heavily limited testing would be a middle ground but who knows people will start whining that the races are now determined by the teams with the best tire...:rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17816565
By Gary Anderson, BBC F1 technical analyst. Makes some very informed pertinent points, especially with regards to Schumi and his tyre bitchin'.
When I was involved with Bridgestone tyres with Jordan in the early 2000s, in the middle of the tyre war with Michelin, Schumacher and Ferrari had tyres we were not even allowed to look at.
They cost so much money that Bridgestone could not afford to supply them to everyone. And whenever we did have an opportunity to run a derivative of those tyres, our lap times were much, much better.
It's a bit sad that Michael now sees things the other way around, because a lot of his competitiveness in those days was down to the working relationship he and Ferrari had with Bridgestone, one to which nobody else had access.
Now there's a standard tyre, it's down to him and Mercedes to get it working properly, not point the finger at the supplier.

You're both right. I dont know why I am complaining. I guess I just like to see drivers going all out every lap, sliding the car, allowing for some abuse. Now the successful drivers are the ones that tiptoe around the circuit. Button, Perez, Di Resta, Vettel. Senna would shake his head at this.

The stuff about Schumacher and tires is true, he had special Bridgestones nobody else had, I would bet even his teammate. He shouldnt point fingers at the supplier.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're both right. I dont know why I am complaining. I guess I just like to see drivers going all out every lap, sliding the car, allowing for some abuse. Now the successful drivers are the ones that tiptoe around the circuit. Button, Perez, Di Resta, Vettel. Senna would shake his head at this.
The stuff about Schumacher and tires is true, he had special Bridgestones nobody else had, I would bet even his teammate. He shouldnt point fingers at the supplier.

No. Senna surely hated the high tech gizmos of his era (active suspensions, ABS, TC, etc.) but I find it hard to believe he'd hate the challenge of best his competitors on driving skill (like how to drive fast while looking after your tires). You seem to forget that this was a big part of F1 racing in the 80s...

Schumacher is complaining because he can't seem to find a way to unlock their potential. He's barely scored points and his teammate scored Mercedes first win. Simple, just another year of mediocrity (for now), so why not put to spotlight on Pirelli? It's pretty sad because it makes him sound like Jarno Trulli.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads