• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's with the new noses on the cars?

McLaren didnt adopt the new style, looks really nice:

Last edited:

mrclam

Reaction score

What's with the new noses on the cars?

McLaren didnt adopt the new style, looks really nice:

The new noses are a result of the concern that one car will spear another. If the noses are too high, they will be aimed right at another driver's head in the event of a t-bone type collision.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The new noses are a result of the concern that one car will spear another. If the noses are too high, they will be aimed right at another driver's head in the event of a t-bone type collision.

Ya, but that new nose is hardly any different. If this was a concern the McLaren style nose should be mandated.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
McLaren looks real nice, but I'm not sure they'll end up racing it. Yeah I'm a little concerned with how they thing a lower, skinnier nose won't be an equal or greater risk of piercing the monocoque. I suppose since in't slimmer it'll shatter easier and since it's lower the car won't flip over.

speedy4500

Reaction score
Uh, that's not the new McLaren car for this year. First: Bridgestone tires no longer in use, Pirelli slicks for everyone now. Second: car number "1" is reserved for the winner of previous year's championship, so Vettel will have No. 1 this year. That car from above is Alonso's 2007 ride.

This is the new McLaren, which does have a higher and flatter nose, but not as gross as the others.....

Last edited:

fir3fox

Reaction score
Is F1 going to be in Austin this year?

Last I heard there were some residents putting up some guff about the track.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uh, that's not the new McLaren car for this year. First: Bridgestone tires no longer in use, Pirelli slicks for everyone now. Second: car number "1" is reserved for the winner of previous year's championship, so Vettel will have No. 1 this year. That car from above is Alonso's 2007 ride.
This is the new McLaren, which does have a higher and flatter nose, but not as gross as the others.....

Ya, sorry, soon as I read that I realized I had the wrong version...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is F1 going to be in Austin this year?
Last I heard there were some residents putting up some guff about the track.

Its still on the calendar.

mrclam

Reaction score

McLaren looks real nice, but I'm not sure they'll end up racing it. Yeah I'm a little concerned with how they thing a lower, skinnier nose won't be an equal or greater risk of piercing the monocoque. I suppose since in't slimmer it'll shatter easier and since it's lower the car won't flip over.

I don't think they're worried about piercing the monococque, I think they're worried about the nose hitting the driver directly

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think they're worried about piercing the monococque, I think they're worried about the nose hitting the driver directly

I'd be much more concerned about cars launching.

Anyone remember this crash? I dont know how Martin Brundle didnt get his head ripped off. Look closely at the wheel that hits the McLaren driver.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

mrclam

Reaction score

I'd be much more concerned about cars launching.
Anyone remember this crash? I dont know how Martin Brundle didnt get his head ripped off. Look closely at the wheel that hits the McLaren driver.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

not much you can do about that. i think they've done some studies about covering the driver vs not covering the driver in glass/other material.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If no more issues arise with Austin (there was a work stoppage a few months back due to a contract dispute) I'm supposed to be going.

Benzito

Reaction score

If no more issues arise with Austin (there was a work stoppage a few months back due to a contract dispute) I'm supposed to be going.

A lot of folks have purportedly already booked their travel and lodging in Austin. Either that or the bulk of the 29,000 hotel rooms haven't yet been opened up for reservations via the various websites. Those that are listed seem to be two to three times higher than any other time of year.

FOM has their travel partner on line with everything but tickets.

I'm either headed for the race or a lovely weekend in San Antonio. My wife wants to see the basement in the Alamo.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is it me or are either the tires too small or the car is too big?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A lot of folks have purportedly already booked their travel and lodging in Austin. Either that or the bulk of the 29,000 hotel rooms haven't yet been opened up for reservations via the various websites. Those that are listed seem to be two to three times higher than any other time of year.
FOM has their travel partner on line with everything but tickets.
I'm either headed for the race or a lovely weekend in San Antonio. My wife wants to see the basement in the Alamo.

Wouldn't be suprised. No way I'm booking anything before March/April. If hotels are too expensive I'm not opposed to renting an apartment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads