• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No surprise at a RB win but two silver arrows on the podium? Fluke or have they figured out the car?

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did Martin Brundle just say “the German, the china man, the man from Finland?”

As a 50% Asian man I am 100% not offended.
It's normal in the UK to be honest, my American Step-daughter refused point blank to accept that we call people from India or Pakistan "Asians" despite them actually coming from Asia (the reason we use the generic term is not to offend).

But we always refer to Chinese people distinctly rather than just label them as generically Asian.

I don't know why?, it's not considered weird or unusual here, I suspect it is a mark of respect more than anything else 🙂

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Time to get rid of your Mclarens and replace them with a DBS and DB12
I mean if I’m going to do some front-running I should replace it with one of these babies:

IMG_1377.jpeg

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's normal in the UK to be honest, my American Step-daughter refused point blank to accept that we call people from India or Pakistan "Asians" despite them actually coming from Asia (the reason we use the generic term is not to offend).

But we always refer to Chinese people distinctly rather than just label them as generically Asian.

I don't know why?, it's not considered weird or unusual here, I suspect it is a mark of respect more than anything else 🙂
I thought the generic term in the UK for people from South Asia was “P@ki.”
Seriously, tho, “Chin@m@n” is nigh “Oriental” and not at all the same as saying “Chinese” to describe a man, or a woman, from China.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And Lando flubbed the start!

7o7fgo.jpg

He just doesn't have it. Hamilton cut through him like Patton through Belgium. Then, he panics and tries to take the spot back when it's way too late and ruins his entire race.

Piastri is an innocent, but it's time for the Zach and Lando show to move on. Hire a first rate team director to get things in order, make the commitment to build the right car and lure Checo away from Red Bull. I have to think that he's frustrated knowing that he'll never be anything more than Max's spear carrier there.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did Martin Brundle just say “the German, the china man, the man from Finland?”

As a 50% Asian man I am 100% not offended.

C7wI29lXQAA_5vo.jpg

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the generic term in the UK for people from South Asia was “P@ki.”
Seriously, tho, “Chin@m@n” is nigh “Oriental” and not at all the same as saying “Chinese” to describe a man, or a woman, from China.
Older Working Class British (like Martin Brundle) will still use "********" to a large extent, it's far more respectful than "Asian", which is a bit too generic (but you can't risk confusing Hindu/Muslim or Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi so we use Asian in that context)

The P word is considered highly disrespectful (if used by white people), and is only really used by the Pakistani community nowadays to refer to themselves "ironically" in the same way The N word is used in the USA.

The term "Black" isn't considered racist at all, we would never use the term "African British" (because you are just British), but West Indian is still used for people of Caribbean origin if that's how they identify.

It's probably a bit more Nuanced in reality, but Brits are quite good at reading social situations and local accents.

Wow it automatically edited the Chin@m@n, I suppose that's what happens when your language is appropriated!!!!

Last edited:

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Older Working Class British (like Martin Brundle) will still use "********" to a large extent, it's far more respectful than "Asian", which is a bit too generic (but you can't risk confusing Hindu/Muslim or Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi so we use Asian in that context)

The P word is considered highly disrespectful (if used by white people), and is only really used by the Pakistani community nowadays to refer to themselves "ironically" in the same way The N word is used in the USA.

The term "Black" isn't considered racist at all, we would never use the term "African British" (because you are just British), but West Indian is still used for people of Caribbean origin if that's how they identify.

It's probably a bit more Nuanced in reality, but Brits are quite good at reading social situations and local accents.

Wow it automatically edited the Chin@m@n, I suppose that's what happens when your language is appropriated!!!!
It happens when your language is inappropriate

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It happens when your language is inappropriate

Apparently so, but how exactly does it know what's appropriate in different countries??

If someone referred to me as "European" rather than British I would find it highly offensive (despite living in Europe).

Last edited:

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently so, but how exactly does it know what's appropriate in different countries??

If someone referred to me as "European" rather than British I would find it highly offensive (despite living in Europe).
There's a certain type of American who honestly thinks that it's their prerogative to dictate to the rest of the world how to speak, act, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads