• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Schwazer

Reaction score
Meh, I don't buy it.

Ricciardo pushed aside Vettel in exactly the same way Max pushed Daniel down the pecking order, Let's not forget Sebastian Vettel was the four time Champion and the darling of the RBR team.

In this game "it's put up or shut up", he had the same equipment to prove he was world class at RBR (by challenging Max).

He should have stuck it out for another season or two at RBR and worked a bit harder.

I really like him, but I suspect he is just a bit too nice and easy going for the very top echelon, I get that there is a fair bit of distaste for Max and RBR on SF, but thats how "Alpha Males" operate, you have to dominate (like Lewis has).

You can see already that Lando Norris is doing it at McLaren, he was happy to play understudy to the experienced Carlos and was very friendly with him, but when he had to beat one of the supposed "Top Guns" in F1, different personality altogether.

I've mentioned it before that Ricciardo never had that "killer factor" to be a World champion. He always wanted to be the nice and funny guy that everyone likes.

Rosberg had to be ruthless and stand his ground against Hammy in all the years at Mercedes culminating to his title win in 2016. He had to do it because Hammy was naturally faster and more talented than him.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned it before that Ricciardo never had that "killer factor" to be a World champion. He always wanted to be the nice and funny guy that everyone likes.

Rosberg had to be ruthless and stand his ground against Hammy in all the years at Mercedes culminating to his title win in 2016. He had to do it because Hammy was naturally faster and more talented than him.

100% 👍 and Rosberg found it so difficult to beat him, he immediately hung up his helmet at the end of the season.

But he showed some real guts and determination that season (he had a bit of luck, but god loves a grafter 🙂).

He fully deserved that Championship it was great to watch.

I hope that Daniel makes a strong comeback and proves me wrong (Jenson Button did). He is a maketing depts. dream and he needs to flex it and make his mark!

If nothing else, Lando Norris will have learned a valuble lesson from the past two seasons, being the "coolest guy in F1" doesn't mean sh*t when your up against serious contenders 🤐

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks like Newey has incorporated the colors of the teams he's designed for in the stripes of his helmet. Pretty neat:

1659994965401.png

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Excerpt from an article i read about the whole Alpine/Piastri saga:

Piastri case could end up in high court
Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer says the team could seek millions in compensation if Piastri refuses to drive for the team.

Alpine has already been in contact with the FIA’s contract recognition board but may take it one step further.

“Going to the High Court is over 90% certain that's what we'll do,” he told Reuters.

“If the CRB says 'your licence is only valid at Alpine', and then he (Piastri) says 'that's great but I'm never driving for them, I'll just sit out a year', then you've got to go to the High Court for compensation.”
It’s funny that the FIA thinks that F1 contracts and contract dispute dramas are so shady that they felt the need to create a permanent arbitration court for that specific purpose.

Obviously for good reason as we all can see…

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excerpt from an article i read about the whole Alpine/Piastri saga:

It’s funny that the FIA thinks that F1 contracts and contract dispute dramas are so shady that they felt the need to create a permanent arbitration court for that specific purpose.

Obviously for good reason as we all can see…

I wouldn't want him as a driver after whats happened to be honest, his heart wouldn't be in it.

If they force him to drive through legal action it will end badly for Alpine and Piastri

Always does/Always has, these things have a way of working themselves out

Jean Alesi was signed to Williams in the early 90s and had a serious shot at being a World Champ in '92, but his heart was at Ferrari.

I think he has made a mistake signing to McLaren TBH, they don't have much patience with drivers!!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want him as a driver after whats happened to be honest, his heart wouldn't be in it.

If they force him to drive through legal action it will end badly for Alpine and Piastri

Always does/Always has, these things have a way of working themselves out

Jean Alesi was signed to Williams in the early 90s and had a serious shot at being a World Champ in '92, but his heart was at Ferrari.

I think he has made a mistake signing to McLaren TBH, they don't have much patience with drivers!!
I think at this point, Alpine is only trying to recoup costs from Piastri. There's probably way too much bad blood between the 2 for him to drive for the team.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think at this point, Alpine is only trying to recoup costs from Piastri. There's probably way too much bad blood between the 2 for him to drive for the team.

Agreed 100% 👍 Piastri is just a dumb kid and Lando will eat him for breakfast, they should write the money off and go after Gasly, he is the perfect fit for Alpine and he would shine at that team.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If Piastri ends up at Alpine, he'll drive as hard as he can, and if that yields results, Alpine will not give one flying ****.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Piastri ends up at Alpine, he'll drive as hard as he can, and if that yields results, Alpine will not give one flying ****.

I'm not convinced that Alpine would now want to spend any more money developing him as a driver, only for another midfield team to snatch him away in a season or two.

I think it's a done deal, although I think Piastri and Webber have made a mistake going to McLaren, people will expect him to hit the ground running in that team.

An Austrailian ousting another Aussie facilitated by Mr Australia himself, I bet thats popular down under 🤣

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only thing either driver or team has to offer the other is performance. Jenson was forced to stay at BAR, and it worked out for both parties. If Piastri is good, Alpine would want to keep him. If Alpine is good, Piastri would want to stay. Unless both conditions exist, at least one of the parties would be looking to greener pastures.

My expectation is that McLaren will offer more performance over the next couple of years than Alpine, but only time will tell. I would be surprised if either team features regularly in the fight for podiums.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing either driver or team has to offer the other is performance. Jenson was forced to stay at BAR, and it worked out for both parties. If Piastri is good, Alpine would want to keep him. If Alpine is good, Piastri would want to stay. Unless both conditions exist, at least one of the parties would be looking to greener pastures.

My expectation is that McLaren will offer more performance over the next couple of years than Alpine, but only time will tell. I would be surprised if either team features regularly in the fight for podiums.
Neither team will regularly fight for the podium in the next couple of years.

bgsmith

Reaction score

If I were him, I'd demand the full payout and then offer to drive next year for free for Alpine. Great way to completely **** over Mclaren.
New member here, huge F1 Fan and big Ricciardo fan, this would be awesome if it happened like this.

I do wonder how Alpine feels about him after he left them when they were Renault, new management in place these days hence my curiosity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads