• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do agree that it’s somewhat nuts to go Italy - Miami - Spain given that the first and third locations are so close (relatively speaking) to each other. Monaco is even in between them!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here’s the new nuttiest personnel decision of the offseason. “Oh, Alain Prost - why should i keep him around? What the **** does he know about F1?”

This can only be surpassed if FIA decides to retain Michael Masi
To be fair, what does he know about F1 outside of the car? His run as a team owner was a complete flop, and he doesn’t seem to have a set of skills similar to his erstwhile teammate Niki Lauda. It does appear that he was disrespected, but it can also be true that his contribution to team was far from essential.

Octobab

Reaction score
To be fair, what does he know about F1 outside of the car? His run as a team owner was a complete flop, and he doesn’t seem to have a set of skills similar to his erstwhile teammate Niki Lauda. It does appear that he was disrespected, but it can also be true that his contribution to team was far from essential.

This. It's easy to see how a figure like Prost could potentially be far more hinderance than help, especially given the altered nature of F1 on almost every level from then to now. Not to say it doesn't work (eg Lauda & Merc), or that I particularly trust Renault's decision making...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty much the Niki Lauda role. Did you guys hear he wasn’t a good mentor or a disruptive presence? If so, I’d understand it better.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pretty much the Niki Lauda role. Did you guys hear he wasn’t a good mentor or a disruptive presence? If so, I’d understand it better.
I look at it the other way. Lewis talked frequently about Niki's influence on him and Mercedes. I don't recall seeing Esteban or Fernando saying similar things about about Prost.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at it the other way. Lewis talked frequently about Niki's influence on him and Mercedes. I don't recall seeing Esteban or Fernando saying similar things about about Prost.
That's because no one gives a **** about a team that sucks unless it's a complete train wreck.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's because no one gives a **** about a team that sucks unless it's a complete train wreck.
Team Enstone has an incredible history, as does Renault. The latter's fickleness has IMO prevented them having a string of titles.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok. I realize that all I have is Prost’s side of the story, but he’s saying that he’d been marginalized in decision-making, but still responsible for communicating those decisions to the team. Which to me suggests he lost a power struggle, as opposed to not being a voice of credibility on the team.

there’s also the optics of booting the greatest French F1 driver from the only French team on the grid.

But I guess we’re all just speculating. I freely admit to being guilty of projection here, because I respect Prost and can’t imagine why someone would think he’s not worthy of his role

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Team Enstone has an incredible history, as does Renault. The latter's fickleness has IMO prevented them having a string of titles.
But what have you done lately? Team has been underperforming for a few years.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok. I realize that all I have is Prost’s side of the story, but he’s saying that he’d been marginalized in decision-making, but still responsible for communicating those decisions to the team. Which to me suggests he lost a power struggle, as opposed to not being a voice of credibility on the team.

there’s also the optics of booting the greatest French F1 driver from the only French team on the grid.

But I guess we’re all just speculating. I freely admit to being guilty of projection here, because I respect Prost and can’t imagine why someone would think he’s not worthy of his role
Prost's tenure in that role predates Rossi's arrival as CEO. He started advising the team in 2015, and my point applies to Magnussen, Palmer, Hulkenberg, Sainz, and Ricciardo.

Characterizing his departure as booting the greatest French driver is perhaps hyperbole. Prost has always been prickly, and being offered a figurehead role (which seems to be what Rossi offered him for this year) likely insulted his pride. His stated reasons for leaving support that conclusion. Going back to my comparison of his business acumen vs Lauda's, Niki owned part of the team whereas Prost doesn't. Niki made himself essential, and Alain did not.

Prost was a great driver, but if you look back at even his driving career, he mostly came out second best when political maneuvering was required. Senna won McLaren over to his side. Prost fell out with Ferrari. Prost couldn't keep Senna out at Williams.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Characterizing his departure as booting the greatest French driver is perhaps hyperbole.
lol I gladly accept any difference with my opinion since we are mostly relying on our perception of the characters and speculating about what goes on in the teams.

but of all the things I said, you’re taking issue with me calling Alain Prost the greatest French driver? Who else even is in the conversation?!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On a different topic, I was perusing the odds for ‘22. Not really a sports bettor, but I can’t help thinking there could be some speculative opportunities here:

Like if one thinks there’s a chance Lewis won’t be back in ‘22 (I’m not one of those people), then you could make some arbitrage on Max and RBR’s odds. Also, with the car changes can one of the midfield come out of nowhere to win?

unfortunately, my pick for dark horse (Ferrari) only has +700 odds so maybe the oddsmakers have already caught on. But Sainz +2800 might be an option…

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol I gladly accept any difference with my opinion since we are mostly relying on our perception of the characters and speculating about what goes on in the teams.

but of all the things I said, you’re taking issue with me calling Alain Prost the greatest French driver? Who else even is in the conversation?!

Prost was a great driver, very technical and a master of race set up, and I could see him being a very good driver coach or something along those lines but when you already have Fernando Alonso........ surplus to requirements??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads