• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wasn't that huge gap from a tow that he got from Perez while Lewis elected not to get a tow?
Before the top-10 shootout, the heavens opened once more so the track was fully wet again – sending teams scrambling for full wets. Both Norris and Vettel, who went out first, complained of “aquaplaning” and “too much water” respectively – with Vettel requesting a red flag moments before Norris crashed heavily at Eau Rouge. He was unhurt.

After a lengthy delay to retrieve the wreckage and wait for weather conditions to improve, Q3 resumed with eight minutes remaining. Most drivers went out on intermediates, with Ocon and Russell on wets pitting immediately coming in to join them.

Hamilton set the benchmark at 2m01.552s, 0.5s ahead of Perez, 0.9s faster than Verstappen and 1.5s clear of Bottas.

On the final run, Russell produced a stunning lap of 2m00.086s, with Hamilton slower by 0.013s. Verstappen then unleashed his 1m59.765s to seal pole position, 0.321s clear of Russell. Hamilton qualified third, ahead of Ricciardo, Vettel, Gasly, Perez, Bottas and Ocon.

Schwazer

Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
B373EBB2-BAE9-4A43-8A8B-F471E8F6E5CE.jpeg

oh my, this is awesome. I cannot think of a better start to the season.

Lawrence Stroll’s presscons:

“let me introduce you to Mike Crack..”
“Ive spent a lot of time with Mike Crack this off-season…”
“All of my decisions are made with the help of Mike Crack”

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2 days before the start of the season. I can totally see Lewis giving the FIA the finger and walking off.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is an excellent way to ensure that he sort is about last year’s **** up instead of the new season. What a bunch of ?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new season of DTS typically launches 9 days before the new season. So, folks will have a good week to watch it before they hear FIA's decision. The cynical part of me imagined someone from Netflix telling Masi they needed an exciting finish to the season, which led to his terrible decision on the last lap of Abu Dhabi. Now, I can only wonder that the FIA's timing for the release of the findings is driven by Netflix. Honestly, considering how fucked up this has all been, I won't be watching DTS this year, and am 50:50 on whether I'll even care to watch F1 as much as I did last year.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Max is racing in RFactor2's Virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans Sim race. James Baldwin also in the field. I love the fact that Rolex is an actual sponsor.

This sim is feels pretty car-like. After racing mostly in GT3 cars, I started running the DTM Class 1 BMW M4. It's a monster compared to the GT3 cars. I'm almost a minute faster around the Nordschleife compared to the 911 RSR. My average times are about 7:05 - 7:20 in GT3 cars and my best in the Class 1 BMW was 6:18.

I'd never heard of Class 1 and found it was a short lived DTM homologation with several manufacturers running 650HP 2.0L/4 cylinders. I've no idea how realistic they are but this Sim tends to get positive reviews from actual GT3 racers in terms of realism. Laser scanned tracks as well.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still struggle with virtual racing. I have a fairly basic setup, and the absence of most of the non-visual cues is challenging. Some people drive with their eyes, and others drive with their ass (it's probably better to think of it as a spectrum rather than a binary). I am very much on the ass end of the spectrum. :)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still struggle with virtual racing. I have a fairly basic setup, and the absence of most of the non-visual cues is challenging. Some people drive with their eyes, and others drive with their ass (it's probably better to think of it as a spectrum rather than a binary). I am very much on the ass end of the spectrum. :)

I've only been at it for a couple of years and now have a good PC and mid-level Fanatec gear with decent Force Feedback so that helps with the realism and immersion. I will never be competitive but it's a fun distraction, especially on a day like today when it's 5°F outside. It took a while to really train my brain to look farther ahead as one would do in a real car.

The difference is that you actually race cars so it'll never feel like reality. I'm more of a 2-3 track days/year kinda guy and don't a real frame of reference. After a few hours on the sim, it starts to feel real (and actually racing against real people makes a difference). I can run perfect laps against the AI, then spin out or hit a wall against a real person.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've only been at it for a couple of years and now have a good PC and mid-level Fanatec gear with decent Force Feedback so that helps with the realism and immersion. I will never be competitive but it's a fun distraction, especially on a day like today when it's 5°F outside. It took a while to really train my brain to look farther ahead as one would do in a real car.

The difference is that you actually race cars so it'll never feel like reality. I'm more of a 2-3 track days/year kinda guy and don't a real frame of reference. After a few hours on the sim, it starts to feel real (and actually racing against real people makes a difference). I can run perfect laps against the AI, then spin out or hit a wall against a real person.
My wheel has force feedback, but it's older and relatively low torque. I think I might benefit from a wider or multi-screen setup, but the thing I really miss is the sense of rotation. I end up braking mostly in a straight line rather than the trail braking I use IRL. To be fair, I haven't spent a lot of time with it.

Octobab

Reaction score
I was looking at the schedule for the new season, and was very surprised to see that this year's various American things have been noticeably spread out. COTA, Mexico, and Brazil are in a block at the end of the year, but Miami and Canada will apparently be getting their own back-and-forth transatlantic trips.

Also, Bahrain opener again ?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the schedule for the new season, and was very surprised to see that this year's various American things have been noticeably spread out. COTA, Mexico, and Brazil are in a block at the end of the year, but Miami and Canada will apparently be getting their own back-and-forth transatlantic trips.

Also, Bahrain opener again ?
Makes sense to not have CoTA and Miami so close together. F1 doesn't want them competing against each other for attendance so the best spot to put Miami was right next to Canada.

Octobab

Reaction score
Makes sense to not have CoTA and Miami so close together. F1 doesn't want them competing against each other for attendance so the best spot to put Miami was right next to Canada.

True. Still, for the sake of F1 putting its money where its mouth is re: sustainability, it'd be nice to see a little more efficiency than 3 seperate transatlantic trips.

Wendover has a GREAT video on the logistics of the circus, for those not familiar:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads