• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

monkey66

Reaction score
Exert from Matthew Syed writing in The Times (UK) today.

'Max Verstappen is no shrinking violet. At the Spanish Grand Prix he started behind Lewis Hamilton on the grid but — to repeat the phrase of the commentator — “got his elbows out on turn one”. In effect, he pushed his vehicle into a position where Hamilton had Hobson’s choice: either cede the lead or crash. Hamilton, a driver who has long surfed a reasonable line between aggression and respect, chose to cede the lead.

This is a recurring theme in the career of Verstappen, a 23-year-old with raw talent fused with keen ambition. And it is a characteristic that Christian Horner, his principal at Red Bull, has eulogised many times in the past, not least in the aftermath of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, when the racers touched wheels and Hamilton again yielded ground.

In the aftermath of Spain, Horner might have cautioned Verstappen for taking undue risks. He might have urged his driver to avoid flirting with contact. But no, he was almost euphoric: “Turn one was mega. I mean, that was full Max Verstappen — he was just going for it — and he positioned the car fantastically well. He tucked in, he got a little bit of a tow and a bit of momentum. And yeah, he just braked later and ran the car wide. Thankfully Lewis had got out of it, because otherwise he would have ended up in the fence.”

Given the events of Sunday at Silverstone, it is worth pausing to reflect on this wider context. For what Horner is eulogising here (and has done many times) is the aggression of his driver. He is celebrating the way that he places his car in harm’s way, in effect playing chicken with his rivals. He is articulating a truth that everyone knows about Verstappen: “I take no prisoners, so don’t mess!”'

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we have to remember Max Verstappen has never been protecting a championship lead before, in previous seasons he had nothing to lose!!!!

I guess, this is his next hurdle, can he learn to kerb the aggressive driving and play the long game??

Lewis is nobody's fool, but he can crack if the pressure gets too high

Politics aside, it's been a good season so far, hopefully we get clean races and more Norris podiums to shake things up at the front ?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good analysis from Palmer. I like his analysis of races and he speaks well.

Would rather listen to a former F1 driver's analysis over Driver61.

That's some great analysis and I couldn't agree more. I think that if we are trying to assign "blame", HAM comes out ahead. However, it's lap 1 of a GP. That's the kind of racing we all hope to see. It's clearly a racing incident.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exert from Matthew Syed writing in The Times (UK) today.

'Max Verstappen is no shrinking violet. At the Spanish Grand Prix he started behind Lewis Hamilton on the grid but — to repeat the phrase of the commentator — “got his elbows out on turn one”. In effect, he pushed his vehicle into a position where Hamilton had Hobson’s choice: either cede the lead or crash. Hamilton, a driver who has long surfed a reasonable line between aggression and respect, chose to cede the lead.

This is a recurring theme in the career of Verstappen, a 23-year-old with raw talent fused with keen ambition. And it is a characteristic that Christian Horner, his principal at Red Bull, has eulogised many times in the past, not least in the aftermath of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, when the racers touched wheels and Hamilton again yielded ground.
That's what Max fans aren't taking into consideration. It's easy to be aggressive and daring when the other driver plays the long game and backs out. Lewis has done this quite a bit last year and beginning of this season. It doesn't work when the other driver knows this is it and doesn't back out. That's why Lewis didn't cede anything and Max's risk analysis is still too skewed of win every race at all costs. This works when you're behind but with a huge championship lead he should've gave up the corner. Now instead of losing 7 pts he lost 25 pts.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The comparison with the GRO-SAI incident was particularly apt.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's what Max fans aren't taking into consideration. It's easy to be aggressive and daring when the other driver plays the long game and backs out. Lewis has done this quite a bit last year and beginning of this season. It doesn't work when the other driver knows this is it and doesn't back out. That's why Lewis didn't cede anything and Max's risk analysis is still too skewed of win every race at all costs. This works when you're behind but with a huge championship lead he should've gave up the corner. Now instead of losing 7 pts he lost 25 pts.

I think this is why Max and RBR are so frustrated. They know they dropped the ball there especially on lap 1 of a long race.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is why Max and RBR are so frustrated. They know they dropped the ball there especially on lap 1 of a long race.
And in typical RB fashion they blame everyone but themselves. They were even saying something to the effect of the 10 second penalty didn't help us at all. The penalty isn't to help you it's to punish the offender. They need to learn to accept responsibility and analyze what they could do better.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Max pulled half his crap in a corner with Gilles Villeneuve, a championship would be the least of his worries.

Schwazer

Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Decoded:

072D424F-C83C-4EC6-9F15-93B4B02E5E87.jpeg
2061426F-83E2-45F0-B64B-5201B9F4A474.jpeg

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least it's an olive branch from Red Bull (or damage limitation for the brand) I really hope they shake hands and it turns out to be a great battle until the last race.

I like both drivers and I don't mind who wins as long as it's entertaining and fair!!!

I've been watching since the late 70s and been to Silverstone a few times

There has always been wheel banging and rivalry in the Sport, long may it last!!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting for the start of the race in hungary to watch Perez follow instructions and crash into Hamilton going into turn 1...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That thought crossed my mind but with the plan carried out by Alphatauri and Ocon. Better to leave Checo to try to get more points for the A team.

And then of course, Mercedes’s deep sleeper George Russell counters and we’re back to square one for both top teams…leaving Lando Norris to grab his first F1 win!!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That thought crossed my mind but with the plan carried out by Alphatauri and Ocon. Better to leave Checo to try to get more points for the A team.

And then of course, Mercedes’s deep sleeper George Russell counters and we’re back to square one for both top teams…leaving Lando Norris to grab his first F1 win!!
Huh!?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads