• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bottas did get fucked but really he just isn't good enough to be getting preferential strategy.
He’s not as good as Lewis but he’s more consistent than most of the field. Had to look up his stats but these are amazing numbers given that he’s the #2 driver.

168DFBA4-DA5A-4407-B7E2-4E480DF241C4.jpeg

He reaches podium one out of every three entries, in the running for WDC in all but his first season, points finishes 73% of starts and 17 poles.

Last edited:

Schwazer

Reaction score
He’s not as good as Lewis but he’s more consistent than most of the field. Had to look up his stats but these are amazing numbers given that he’s the #2 driver.

View attachment 1627723

He reaches podium one out of everything three entries, in the running for WDC in all but his first season, points finishes 73% of starts and 17 poles.

Problem with Bottas is he is compared to Rosberg who is the benchmark as Hamilton's team mate (only other one).

Simply, Rosberg was faster, arrogant and politically astute.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rosberg had the killer instinct and made fewer mistakes. His consistency is what allowed him to challenge Lewis. If Valtteri could stay nearer his peak throughout the season, no one would be talking about George Russell.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ricciardo has to be feeling better after this race.

There's been some talk emanating from McLaren that Ricciardo is starting to feel the car significantly better, and I think that showed today. The 3-4 race between McLaren and Ferrari should be pretty epic from here on out. They don't have the cars to challenge Merc and RB, but they are both world's ahead of the rest of the field.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ferrari didn't have much to say during the race today, but I agree that they are likely to be contesting third in the WCC. I wish Tsunoda would get his **** together. The combo of Gasly and Yuki operating near his peak without the cock-ups would make the third-place race even more fun.

Marko better be drafting a contract extension for Checo. They aren't likely to find a better wingman for Max, and he's likely to get even better as the season continues. I say this as someone who is generally pretty lukewarm about Perez.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perez has been showing he’s a solid wingman. He’s been solid since Racing Point.

yuki is young and he’ll get there

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And one thing has come to bug me about Lando (as a long time McLaren fan and solid Lando fan), and that is that he seems to be trying too hard to drive safe, technically perfect races. That's going to land him 4th or 5th in the drivers' championship and snag a podium or two, but it's not going to win him a race. Max was a reckless clusterfuck his first couple of seasons, and now he's looking at a Championship. Lando needs to gain a bit of an edge...push the envelope a bit. He's good enough to do that, so I wonder what's holding him back: himself or team management.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marko better be drafting a contract extension for Checo. They aren't likely to find a better wingman for Max, and he's likely to get even better as the season continues. I say this as someone who is generally pretty lukewarm about Perez.
Checo also understands his role and knows it's to provide support for Max and grab the occasional win when Max falters. Bottas is still delusional thinking he should get equal treatment at Mercedes.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checo also understands his role and knows it's to provide support for Max and grab the occasional win when Max falters. Bottas is still delusional thinking he should get equal treatment at Mercedes.
E3769A2E-DB4A-4AF7-B406-EDBE3CD89742.gif

Schwazer

Reaction score
Bottas probably has no influence at Mercedes.

Rosberg was at the team from the beginning and even with a dominant Hamilton, I'm sure he had some sway in the team.

Bottas seems to showing some disenchantment with the team but he hasn't done anything untoward to Hamilton. Whilst Rosberg was naughty at times.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bottas got fucked

love Checo andRBR finally found their wingman
This.

I think if Mercedes made Bottas pit, he probably would have caught Lewis and that a no-no in Mercedes.

I really hope that the season continues as it is right now. Can only figure Barcelona and Monaco as he boring ones but the rest have been exciting.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And one thing has come to bug me about Lando (as a long time McLaren fan and solid Lando fan), and that is that he seems to be trying too hard to drive safe, technically perfect races. That's going to land him 4th or 5th in the drivers' championship and snag a podium or two, but it's not going to win him a race. Max was a reckless clusterfuck his first couple of seasons, and now he's looking at a Championship. Lando needs to gain a bit of an edge...push the envelope a bit. He's good enough to do that, so I wonder what's holding him back: himself or team management.
Max has had a car capable of winning races. Lando hasn't. I'm pretty sure that's the real difference.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Max has had a car capable of winning races. Lando hasn't. I'm pretty sure that's the real difference.

I agree. Lando is doing an incredible job maximizing points from a non-race winning car (barring a chaotic race). The gap he has to Ricciardo is incredible although I suspect it will tighten up a bit.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree in general that Lando should be more aggressive, he himself says that. But in France this weekend i don’t see what he could’ve done better other than qualified higher (and not had the refueling issue that was beyond his control?)

Does Bottas actually think he should be on equal footing with Hamilton? honest question, maybe y’all have heard him imply that, but…come on man. That’s like Scottie Pippen (which Bottas probably isn’t even as great as) wanting Michael Jordan to defer to him.

I do think he has every right to be infuriated, though. It’s one thing to be the #2 driver, it’s another thing entirely to have his (100% correct) input ignored and dismissed by everyone on the team for the entire race. Even if the idea was for him not to beat Lewis, it’s still idiotic to deliberately let him be uncompetitive during the race…if anything, Mercedes should have given him team orders to let Lewis pass or block Max if it came down to that in the end.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercedes has made the point multiple times that they do not have a #1 and #2 driver. They've always said both drivers are equal until one is mathematically eliminated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads