• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always heard that Monaco is actually pretty good in person because you're so close to the track compared to the other GP's. On TV though, it's a snoozefest except for Saturday qualifying.

That begs the question. What's your dream GP venue? Or what's your favorite GP venue if you've already been there?

I've been to Barcelona a lot, I think my dream race would be the Spanish GP.

I picked up PC sim racing last fall (GT3 cars) and find watching races where I'm familiar with the track so much more interesting (Nurburgring, Barcelona, Monza, Silverstone, Austria, etc.).

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That begs the question. What's your dream GP venue? Or what's your favorite GP venue if you've already been there?

I picked up PC sim racing last fall (GT3 cars) and find watching races where I'm familiar with the track so much more interesting (Nurburgring, Barcelona, Monza, Silverstone, Austria, etc.).
I've only been to CoTA so I don't have much to compare to live. My favorite GP's to watch on TV are Spa and Monza but I hear Spa sucks in person so probably Monza if I could choose to watch any live at the track. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Singapore GP live.

Last time I went to CoTA this is where I sat. I’m behind the woman in the white jacket. The RB pit box was in front of me

34B3D335-D615-4931-ABA4-FE9F58D105E8.jpeg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dream track in terms of enjoying the racing would be the Nurburgring/Nordschleife. Although I wouldn’t actually want them to race on it today because it’s too dangerous for the drivers.

best current track is Spa-Francorchamps if I base it on playing racing simulators. Just like in real life, Monaco sucks to race on in sims unless you want to play bumper cars.

I’ve only actually driven one GP track in real life - Yas Marina in Abu Dhabi. It was aight.

if we can open it up to tracks that exist, but have never actually hosted a GP, then I’d go Laguna Seca. Highly, highly enjoyable track, and I’d love to see how teams set up the aero for the corkscrew

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed Spa when playing racing simulators however I have heard that it's not that great a venue for a live race. In that case, my dream track would probably be Monza to be able to cheer with the tifosi.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca is the bestest...

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate that f'ing corkscrew at Laguna Seca.

Spa, Nurburgring are my favorite tracks on the sim. I went all in with Fanatec kit and a sim rig last fall. Killed many hours over the winter.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember listening to Randy Pobst saying that if you get the entry speed and line right, the car just sticks it. It’s like magic.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Silverstone had one of the best spots to see and feel the cars up close before they revamped the track. The bridge at Bridge had gaps between the roadway and walkway, and you could see the cars pass directly beneath you, only a few feet away. And at the end of the bridge there was another gap where you could watch the cars approaching the corner. Truly amazing.

Indianapolis is not the most exciting track, but it was great for the sound at the start and using the race as the cars passed between the stands and garage building. If your seat was high enough in the grandstand, you could see almost the entire track, and that was great for following the battles. The general admission areas also had several spots where you could get relatively close to the cars. The braking area at the end of the infield straight allowed you to appreciate the incredible stopping power of the cars and how much speed they carry into a turn.

I only went to the first race at COTA, and not everything was completed at the circuit. As one of the most modern tracks, it keeps the spectators pretty far from the track except on the pit straight. Still, I would go back.

Monza has to be at the top of the list for tracks to visit. The atmosphere alone would justify the trip.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monaco is the worst track on a sim. RFactor2 has a laser scanned version that is said to be near perfect. It's a nightmare to drive. I've been driving it for a few days with the Mclaren 720S in anticipation of the weekend.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've been to Montreal (twice) and Abu Dhabi. Between the two Montreal is definitely tops simply because you can watch the action from anywhere (before the race) and of course the city is excellent. My dream tracks to visit would probably be Hungaroring apparently it's a great natural bowl for maximum views and it's supposed to be a great city. I'd also probably try to mix it in with visits to Prague and Vienna. Monza would be another dream visit.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Monaco is the worst track on a sim. RFactor2 has a laser scanned version that is said to be near perfect. It's a nightmare to drive. I've been driving it for a few days with the Mclaren 720S in anticipation of the weekend.

That 675LT sounds highly annoyed with having to crawl through traffic like that.

you can also do that on the Singapore GP “track” since that’s also all public roads. I wanted to do it when we were there, but it ended up being such a hassle to rent a car when you don’t need one the rest of the time...

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shall we have a pool on whom, when and how Mazespin screws another driver this weekend either in practice, qualifying or the race. We can do it CLUE style: i.e. "it will be Lando in qualifying with a blue flag"

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I predict that this weekend he will play against type and only ************.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads