• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man what a meh performance by Mclaren ?

Didn't help that Lando was the recipient of the weekly Mazepin screw job. It just happened a day early in qualifying.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stunning strategy from Mercedes.

This is what I think Mercedes do so well.

Haters got to hate.

We get the privilege of watching most likely the goat.

Sit back and enjoy, he's not going to be doing it too much longer.

Prost fans hated Senna and visa versa. Now both legends.

What I don't like about Lewis' fanboys is the claim that he's the goat. I mean, how can you be the goat if you're only competing against your teammate? It's to early in the season but hopefully Red Bull can keep up and, while I'm not a Max fan, I wish we can see them battle.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What I don't like about Lewis' fanboys is the claim that he's the goat. I mean, how can you be the goat if you're only competing against your teammate? It's to early in the season but hopefully Red Bull can keep up and, while I'm not a Max fan, I wish we can see them battle.
So I guess Schumacher wasn't that good either since he competed against nobody when he won with Ferrari.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I guess Schumacher wasn't that good either since he competed against nobody when he won with Ferrari.
Au Contraire

1620834523752.png

monkey66

Reaction score

I hear that.

What I don't get is why there is so much hatred towards Lewis, even the term 'fanboy' is a bit derogatory.

One of the main reasons his car is good is his ability to develop it. Nearly every champion from Fangio onwards has been in the best ride of their era (his Alfa was way ahead but no-one feels the need to mention it every 2 minutes), this is normal.

Lewis is the goat as by pretty much every measure he has outperformed every other driver that has come before.

He has also achieved this without the unsporting antics we saw from Schumacher etc.

He has also consistently outperformed his teammates in the same vehicle, apart from mechanical failures.

He has achieved all of this from a poor, disadvantaged background (welfare etc) in an almost exclusively elite sport.

The head to head thing almost never happens and usually ends in tears.

Go see what Prost, Andretti, Mansel, Hill etc have to say about Lewis.

As I said I just don't understand the hatred. I suspect it has more to do with perception of his character that anything to do with his driving ...where his results since carting days mean he is unquestionably one of the greatest of all time.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He also won with McLaren. and many of his championships were not a cakewalk. His seasons vs Rosberg and vs Vettel and Ferrari being notable examples. Having one of the best cars and support teams in the field is a prerequisite for contending, but driving a Mercedes certainly doesn’t make every season a cakewalk (just 2020 :laugh: )

i don’t root for Lewis personally. I support teams (Mclaren) more than drivers and the last driver I can admit to being a fanboy of, was Senna.I truly believe that objectively speaking, Lewis has no peer.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He also won with McLaren. and many of his championships were not a cakewalk. His seasons vs Rosberg and vs Vettel and Ferrari being notable examples. Having one of the best cars and support teams in the field is a prerequisite for contending, but driving a Mercedes certainly doesn’t make every season a cakewalk (just 2020 :laugh: )

i don’t root for Lewis personally. I support teams (Mclaren) more than drivers and the last driver I can admit to being a fanboy of, was Senna.I truly believe that objectively speaking, Lewis has no peer.

I'd rate the WDC seasons like this
Cakewalk- 2015, 2020, 2019
Competitive- 2008, 2014, 2017, 2018

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A telling stat for Lewis is that he's won at least one race every year, even when his car was far from the best on the grid.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's also won at every race track he's raced on.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. Exactly. Ugh, casuals.
Folks either have no memory/conveniently overlook/or don’t have a clue of how he should have been the first rookie to win the DC. It’s laughable really.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's why Alonso was one of my favs. Took two championships from Ferrari's hands. ?
As I said I just don't understand the hatred. I suspect it has more to do with perception of his character that anything to do with his driving ...where his results since carting days mean he is unquestionably one of the greatest of all time.
In relation to the comment above of Alonso, I started to watch and rooted for Lewis back when he was in ART back in 2006 if I remember correctly. Stopped rooting for him when he was with Alonso, to me it was clear that he was the guy for McLaren and they ruined Alonso. Just to be clear, I don't hate him, I think he's extremely lucky.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hear that.

What I don't get is why there is so much hatred towards Lewis, even the term 'fanboy' is a bit derogatory.

One of the main reasons his car is good is his ability to develop it. Nearly every champion from Fangio onwards has been in the best ride of their era (his Alfa was way ahead but no-one feels the need to mention it every 2 minutes), this is normal.

Lewis is the goat as by pretty much every measure he has outperformed every other driver that has come before.

He has also achieved this without the unsporting antics we saw from Schumacher etc.

He has also consistently outperformed his teammates in the same vehicle, apart from mechanical failures.

He has achieved all of this from a poor, disadvantaged background (welfare etc) in an almost exclusively elite sport.

The head to head thing almost never happens and usually ends in tears.

Go see what Prost, Andretti, Mansel, Hill etc have to say about Lewis.

I think Lewis has only been beaten by teammates twice: in 2016 by Rosberg obviously and 2011 by Button. 2011 wasn't expected but he was going through some kind of funk at the time.

I don't root for Lewis - I find him boring despite his going to great lengths to raise the profile of the sport through force of personality but I definitely do not deny his well earned achievements. And honestly there is no one else on the grid that deserves any of his titles or wins more than he does - Vettel blew his chances while at Ferrari and he clearly wanted it more than Rosberg in '14/'15.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads