• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Albon needs to be demoted. He got 2 years to prove he belongs and he hasn’t.

He was doing really well in his first year and would have had 2 podiums before Hamilton shunted him both times. This year hes been ****, but RBR has also employed some really mystifying strategies with him and seem to be using him as a test pilot to fine tune Max's car.

He needs to start turning in some results between now and the end of the year to keep his seat.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread and thought it would be of interest here. This is a great documentary that highlights both the criminal waste of talent that happens sometimes, but also the absolute **** show F1 is when it comes to how drivers get their seats. Or dont...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was doing really well in his first year and would have had 2 podiums before Hamilton shunted him both times. This year hes been ****, but RBR has also employed some really mystifying strategies with him and seem to be using him as a test pilot to fine tune Max's car.

He needs to start turning in some results between now and the end of the year to keep his seat.
Both of those shunts were Albon being overly aggressive when all he had to do was wait another corner or lap and he would've easily overtaken Lewis. It was bad risk reward judgment on Albon's part.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hamilton was penalized, but he wasn't guilty. Albon races everyone like that and comes off poorly. He leaves no margin for the other driver or himself. Kvyat, for example, might attest to that. I like Albon, but he just isn't getting the job done. He was lapped by his teammate!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread and thought it would be of interest here. This is a great documentary that highlights both the criminal waste of talent that happens sometimes, but also the absolute **** show F1 is when it comes to how drivers get their seats. Or dont...

That was great. I vaguely remember it but I remember TB apparently not getting a ride with McLaren because he didn't know what R&D was. Amusing story frankly - I wouldn't call that a "**** show" since TB had some serious off track problems.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was great. I vaguely remember it but I remember TB apparently not getting a ride with McLaren because he didn't know what R&D was. Amusing story frankly - I wouldn't call that a "**** show" since TB had some serious off track problems.

TB clearly pissed away his talent, and by all accounts he was a very special driver. The **** show was more in reference to all of the externals required for a driver to get an F1 seat. The sponsor money they bring in, the politics, the personalities, etc.

I think it would be hard to argue that the 20 best drivers in the world are currently lining up on the grid on Sundays...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams have agreed in principle to a drivers salary cap to be implemented in 2023. Lewis better hurry and sign his contract if he wants to get paid.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So the wolves got together and decided the sheep were on the menu?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm fine with it many other sports at least in the US have salary caps. However, the GPDA should have stepped up and demanded pegging the cap to the sport's total revenue - that way it rises and falls with any change in revenue. Also should have demanded a minimum salary and benefits for each driver (and reserve) on the grid.

Let me guess though, the GPDA was not consulted and likely will not say much on the matter.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with it many other sports at least in the US have salary caps. However, the GPDA should have stepped up and demanded pegging the cap to the sport's total revenue - that way it rises and falls with any change in revenue. Also should have demanded a minimum salary and benefits for each driver (and reserve) on the grid.

Let me guess though, the GPDA was not consulted and likely will not say much on the matter.
Idk on the GPDA yet but I bet this will need to be approved by them also. If there's going to be a salary cap then there needs to be a salary floor to guarantee a set spend on drivers.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wonder whether a cap is enforceable under EU law.

Schwazer

Reaction score
Always loopholes with driver salary caps.

Drivers will get paid in other means which is claimed as "not" part of the "salary". Just have a good accountant.

That's why there are always salary cap breaches within sports that enforce this rule.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is Monaco in the EU?
The FIA HQ is in Paris, which I believe is still in the EU. A cost cap agreed between teams is one thing, but collusion between employers to restrict the wages of employees (or, as is likely the case with drivers, independent contractors) would likely not be viewed in the same light.

Schwazer

Reaction score
Does Raikkonen really need the money?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads