• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"YES!! For my critics... to whom it may concern, f*** you."

We've heard that radio message from Valtteri Bottas before...

The most interesting thing about Valtteri Bottas is that he has two "T"s in both his names. I think they should paint his car beige...

It really would be fascinating to see him switch cars with George Russell for a race.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most interesting thing about Valtteri Bottas is that he has two "T"s in both his names. I think they should paint his car beige...

It really would be fascinating to see him switch cars with George Russell for a race.
Is it just me or does Russell suck in race craft? He’s great in Q but whenever he’s made some glaring mistakes during wheel to wheel racing. He’s like the opposite of Albon who sucks in Q but is decent in wheel to wheel racing.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Russell suck in race craft? He’s great in Q but whenever he’s made some glaring mistakes during wheel to wheel racing. He’s like the opposite of Albon who sucks in Q but is decent in wheel to wheel racing.
They're both really interesting drivers. I think Albon is a born racer, and Russell is quick. I feel bad for George though because I think the real issue is that the Williams car is even worse than the Ferrari.

Albon really does need to sort out Quali because it's killing him.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Russell's F2 season wasn't particularly impressive for me, so I'm not surprised at his lack of race craft.

I am now ready to take a position on the reign of Michael Masi: He's not great. He's prickly in response to criticism, but as we saw today, his directives aren't specific enough to merit his "Well, if you'd just read what I wrote..." attitude. The penalty for Lewis was stupid. The styrofoam chicane was stupid (and dangerous, as demonstrated by Sainz). The decision to issue penalty points for non-racing offenses is stupid. The failure to issue guidance to the stewards to ensure consistent—and fair—enforcement of the rules is stupid.

Who is Bottas mad at? He's had multiple opportunities to take pole and win, and he's needed Lewis to have horrific races in order to close the deal. Look in the mirror, bud.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russell's F2 season wasn't particularly impressive for me, so I'm not surprised at his lack of race craft.

I am now ready to take a position on the reign of Michael Masi: He's not great. He's prickly in response to criticism, but as we saw today, his directives aren't specific enough to merit his "Well, if you'd just read what I wrote..." attitude. The penalty for Lewis was stupid. The styrofoam chicane was stupid (and dangerous, as demonstrated by Sainz). The decision to issue penalty points for non-racing offenses is stupid. The failure to issue guidance to the stewards to ensure consistent—and fair—enforcement of the rules is stupid.

Who is Bottas mad at? He's had multiple opportunities to take pole and win, and he's needed Lewis to have horrific races in order to close the deal. Look in the mirror, bud.
Bottas is mainly mad at all the people who consistently says he sucks and needs to give up his seat to Russell. Frankly I’m not too impressed with Russell on Sundays.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wish Merc had tapped Ricciardo to replace Bottas. That would have been a good show.

Schwazer

Reaction score
I wish Merc had tapped Ricciardo to replace Bottas. That would have been a good show.

Unfortunately, Hamilton would prefer Bottas in that seat.

Anyone reckon Perez will go to Alfa Romeo?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed.
Unfortunately, Hamilton would prefer Bottas in that seat.
This. I wish someone like Ricciardo or Verstappen could have a car that can put a good race again Mercedes. I think those two, and others, would not be scared of Lewis. Then, Hamilton fanboys could claim he is the G.O.A.T.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think there's any way to say authoritatively that someone is the GOAT. The skills required of each era overlap, but aren't exactly the same.

Hamilton is inarguably one of the greatest drivers in the history of the sport. One of the attributes of a great is getting into the best car(s). Verstappen, a top-notch driver, has betrayed his impatience on and off track since before he got to F1. He could have been in the same car as Hamilton had he chosen Mercedes over Red Bull. But he wanted to be in F1 immediately. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unlike Hamilton, Red Bull is explicitly built around him, to the point of spurning someone like Ricciardo.

It would definitely be better if other teams were more competitive, but it doesn't take away from Hamilton's achievements.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any way to say authoritatively that someone is the GOAT. The skills required of each era overlap, but aren't exactly the same.

Hamilton is inarguably one of the greatest drivers in the history of the sport. One of the attributes of a great is getting into the best car(s). Verstappen, a top-notch driver, has betrayed his impatience on and off track since before he got to F1. He could have been in the same car as Hamilton had he chosen Mercedes over Red Bull. But he wanted to be in F1 immediately. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unlike Hamilton, Red Bull is explicitly built around him, to the point of spurning someone like Ricciardo.

It would definitely be better if other teams were more competitive, but it doesn't take away from Hamilton's achievements.

Verstappen is very quick, but Ricciardo was getting better results in his last year with Red Bull and they kind of fucked him. I'm not surprised he left, but Renault was always gonna be a **** show. Hopefully McLaren is competitive next year. Also, Sainz must be dreading getting into the Ferrari next year...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I accepted Ricciardo's rationale at the time: He could win more races with Red Bull, but he didn't think they were going to win any championships (proven correct on that point), and at Renault there was at least the chance to get in on the ground floor with a manufacturer with a long track record in the sport. COVID probably got him to make his decision to leave Renault prematurely, but I think the move to McLaren will be at worst a lateral one. At least he dodged the Ferrari bullet. :)

Schwazer

Reaction score

Agreed. It is subjective whenever you compare different eras of any sport.

The old school veterans rate Juan Manuel Fangio as the greatest. Senna did as well.

v8wi8bldudj4cutkinlb

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads