• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And Alonso is back! I’m sure he’ll love fighting for 12 place in the 6th best team if he manages to finish a race next year.

I wonder if this is more bad luck for Ocon. What if Alonso comes out of the gate and is more or less on or ahead of Ocon pace-wise? If Ocon shows up Alonso... what's the benefit of outshining a 40ish driver 15 years since his last championship, 8 years since his last race win?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wonder if this is more bad luck for Ocon. What if Alonso comes out of the gate and is more or less on or ahead of Ocon pace-wise? If Ocon shows up Alonso... what's the benefit of outshining a 40ish driver 15 years since his last championship, 8 years since his last race win?
Alonso probably isn't on Ocon's radar right now. He has to beat Ricciardo first.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i will add i'm pretty underwhelmed by his return. hard to believe he would wind up in a career merry go round. i will add i did think he was a massive breath of fresh air back in 2005 and 2006, and his time at ferrari was very impressive against the dominant red bulls.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alonso could have been WDC in 2007 if he hadn't fucked his team over. Instead he was basically just a spoiler for Lewis and McLaren, allowing Kimi to squeak it. There was just as much chance for him in 2008 (although I think Lewis would have made that challenging). So there's two possible championships ********* himself out of. He was unlucky at Ferrari. The ****** strategic work in Abu Dhabi cost him another championship. I'm not sure that Ferrari was capable of winning it all during his other years there, though. And then his debacle at McLaren the second time round... He seemingly never learned that you catch more flies with honey.

He is a prodigious talent, but his dickishness seems to be in equal measure.

Schwazer

Reaction score
Entertaining though the McLaren feud. Love a team feud.

Schwazer

Reaction score

SmellBlind

Reaction score
This is a really marginal case and not clear (hence the countless words and videos spent on it). But to me, two things are clear, if somewhat contradictory:
  • Hamilton is smart. He knows the limits of the rulebook and what the marshals are willing to accept. He also probably knew that Alex was on softer, fresher tires and could likely catch Bottas as well.
  • A more experienced driver would have left more room. Alex is a great driver but he left himself vulnerable. Hamilton's line was set, he was on hard tires and Alex didn't use the whole track. He likely had the pace to dip onto the gravel and still get the pass done.
This means that Hamilton was going to defend the racing line through the corner and plow into Alex. Even if he misjudged how fast Alex was, then he just would have run into him a little farther forward into the barge boards. I don't think Hamilton did it on purpose but these are micro decisions and centimeters make the difference.

Either way it is a super unfortunate thing to have happened, I would have liked to see Albon on the podium for the first time. Alex will grow and learn and incidents like this are all part of the process.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Big quali for Sainz, Ocon, Gasly, and Stroll. Lance's quality in the wet is mystifying considering how much he struggles against Perez in the dry. If he can find a way to translate that feel for the car across all conditions, he could be quite good.

Astounding lap from Lewis. I went back and watched the onboard, and it mostly looked undramatic. Some corrections here and there, but he clearly had the car under him.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re forgetting Russell at P12. Hamilton was a massive 1.2 seconds ahead of Max. The announcers said that Hamilton had taken pole 8 out of the last 12 wet qualifiers in the rain before today.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. I meant to call out young George. I was just looking at the top 10, but he did the business. It looked for a moment like Latifi would run him close, but nope! The presumptive rookie of the year will have to dig deep to challenge Russell.

SmellBlind

Reaction score
Set up for a great race. Ham v Ver at the front. And lots of midfield battles all the way back. It will be interesting to see if the RP drivers can fight their way forward. Hoping for fewer retirements than last week and more racing.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't read anything about continued trouble for the Merc gearbox sensors yesterday, so maybe that's fixed? If so, it could be a tight battle at the front. It would be nice if Russell can pull a point out of the hat, but I don't that's likely in the dry

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That wet qualifying was a great watch. Masterclass for Hamilton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics