Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I don't really care (although I feel bad for the family of the young driver) and it does look bad for Tony but people are letting emotions get in the way of objectivity. Driving at night, on paved city streets, you sometimes get caught by surprise by a pedestrian that you did not see, until you are very close. Maybe he was in a spot of the street that was not well lit, maybe his clothes etc. but it happens. Now imagine driving on a dirt road, at night, very fast with limited visibilty, cars flying ahead and to your side and a person in all black makes their way in front of you.

Its easy in hindsight to say that all he needed to do was swerve out of the way, slow down etc but the reality is, there was probably a split second between when he saw the driver in front of him and when he was already on top of him. What the young driver did was stupid. No different than trying to cross a 6 lane highway. The last thing you expect to see is someone in front of you. Doesn't make it any less sad or TS any less of an ass (why the fuck is he dirt racing??) but I agree with sugars viewpoint.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Stewart loves dirt racing, so much so that he bought a dirt track.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Potentially, If the driver didn't do all that was possible to avoid the person. Certainly if the driver tried to "scare" the fool on the road but hits him by accident. Not sure how advanced sprint cars are but if there are onboard computers the telemetry should be able to indicate whether Tony did anything that could've caused the collision - like turning into the other driver or speeding up during a full course caution while others slowed down. Otherwise Tony can and will likely be sued in civil courts, his sponsors and his conscience will have to deal with the overall stigma of having been involved with driving over another driver due to a silly racing incident.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

That's all right then...

5. sugarbutch

He will be sued no matter what. That's just the reality of our time.

Sprint cars are the antithesis of advanced. They barely have brakes, turn almost entirely on the throttle, and need a push start to go. I don't race them, but my understanding is that he would have had to gun it to get it to turn to the left quickly to avoid the guy. So, the revving of the engine is not necessarily as definitive as it's been made out to be.

Bottom line, unless he said that he was trying to intimidate the kid or roost him, or some other video turns up, we don't really have much to indicate anything other than an accident.

6. sugarbutch

7. sugarbutch

8. sugarbutch

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That was a very clumsy move, especially so early on in the race. Lewis just keeps having issue after issue all season. Nico deserved the boos. The team is just throwing away points.

Wow... what about Ricciardo? He's officially destroying Vettel. He beat him by like 40 seconds.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Thought it was a racing incident from the get go. Clumsy for sure. But to hear Nico wanted to "teach Lewis a lesson" is crazy. Bizzare he'd be foolish enough to admit it when any driver with half a brain would immediately make it public.

Hilarious, also, that Ricciardo has a shot at the championship!

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Interesting. I noticed a very slight turn in by Nico, I assumed he was making a small correction, but in fact it does look like the correction was intended to tap him. The video does does look that when considering his comments. I'm sure Lewis is providing a very biased account, but still.

It will be interesting to see the damage control comments coming out of Mercedes after this.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014

12. sugarbutch

I believe that Nico wanted to show that he would not back down, not that he was trying to take out Lewis. If it hadn't been Lewis, I think he would have shortcut the corner and tried again later.

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I can't stand Hamilton...

He would have done the exact same thing to Rosberg in the same position.

14. sugarbutch

He's been behind Nico on a number of occasions this season. How many times has he hit him?

15. sugarbutch

It looked to me like a correction as the rear end breaks loose.