Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow.

A Winning Partnership

Ron Dennis and Senna... extraordinarily honest portrayal of what is was like to work with Senna. Just fascinating. New respect for Ron Dennis, which was already high.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

With all the Senna tributes recently, my favorite of all gets barely a mention, and I can't even find video of it.

It happened at Suzuka in 1994, Senna wasn't there, its well documented how much the Japanese adored him, so they paid tribute by having a helicopter painted in his helmet colors fly a very slow lap around the circuit a about 200 feet in the air. At every corner it would stop and tip its nose down. It was very moving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2014

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

While I share your overriding sentiment, it is a touch ridiculous that the fastest GP2 car isn't at least 4 seconds off the slowest F1 car.

5. sugarbutch

The F1 cars will get faster.

6. sugarbutch

Back to Europe, and the best of the rest still a full second off the pace. It's going to be a tough season for everyone not in a Mercedes.

7. sugarbutch

Quite the comeback from Vettel.

8. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

^^ yeah. I've never initally regarded Vettel as a 'great' driver up until recently (I still sort of don't...).
    I guess because he's always had a dominant car that I felt wins were practically 'handed' to him. That and he's a dick.

Anyone else think Hamilton got set up? I only caught the race from mid-late 40's lap.... when he was asked to pit for hard compounds. He lost 2 secs in that pit and put Rosberg only 4secs away.

The commentators were mentioning that Hamilton was questioning team strategy throughout the race but that last bit is all I caught.
    I can't help but think - maybe they knew Rosberg was faster and Hamilton needed new-ish tires all the way to the end to hold him off? (I'll assume he used up his softs already)

But there were also little nuances in the team's reply that were not so reassuring. I can't recollect exactly their convo but they didn't seem to give comfort to Hammy's concerns.

Last edited: May 11, 2014

9. sugarbutch

Both Hamilton stops were at least a second slower than usual, giving Rosberg less work to do to catch up. I don't think Merc were stitching him up. Rosberg, stopping after Hamilton, had the opportunity to switch up the tire strategy. The confusion around how much wing to take out and the decision to bring him in for the second stop when he was still handling Rosberg weren't ideal.

Bottom line, if their dominance continues, the team needs to make sure that there is no doubt that both drivers are getting equal best from the stops and strategy.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

FWIW, I don't think what happened to Rosberg in qualifying was deliberate.

11. sugarbutch

Not deliberate, but convenient. The FIA's standard for yellows is kinda ridiculous. If Rosberg is down the escape road, why put a yellow up?

I expect that if Hamilton gets close to Rosberg tomorrow, Nico should be extra careful... :D

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

At the very least they should add a minute to the clock. Schumacher pulled that shit deliberately back in around '06. He pretended to have a problem at Rascasse and fucked everyone's final lap up.

It wasn't the most entertaining race, though Monaco rarely is. The interest comes from the novelty of the cars on such a narrow, tight track, but otherwise it's not such great racing.

It was also odd to see the lack of quickly ripping thru the gears. I didn't see anyone get above 6th, I don't believe.

13. sangiuseppe

sangiuseppe Senior member

Monaco sucks, they shouldn't award any points for this race

14. sugarbutch

Autosport indicates that Hamilton saw Sutil's wreck at the chicane and immediately requested to pit. He was told by the team to stay out, forcing him to stack behind Nico, and effectively ending the race for the win barring an off or mistake by Rosberg. This explains the radio exchanges that were broadcast and characterized by the US commentators as being upset that the team couldn't predict the future. It makes you wonder about the missing context from all of the controversial bits of radio they broadcast.

Last edited: May 26, 2014

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm not sure there was any context.

My take was that there was no crystal ball around there being a SC or not, therefore the team, with the advantage they already had in hand, decided to take the lower risk approach and wait for an official announcement. If I was in the position to decide, I would have done the exact same thing. If no SC had been deployed, Mercedes would have been heavily punished by the move.

I think Lewis saw it as a perfect chance to jump Nico, but what was in his interests was not in the team's interests. He's getting to be a bit of an Alonso when things don't go his way.