Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The mix was definitely louder. The problem is for the spectators. I know I won't be seeing a race live this season. I'm concerned you're going to see empty grandstands over time.

I read quite a bit from people who were in Melbourne and to a man they all said that ground-shaking sound is completely gone. They sound like F3 cars. That shriek and vibration those old engines gave you was the reason you go see the race. Seeing the car at speed is impressive but its nothing without that WWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAA sound as it goes by.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I don't know. But here is a 4 cylinder 1.5 L turbo... where would Ferrari fit that?

[​IMG]

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Ferrari could write all of the rules, and as long as they applied to everyone equally, they still wouldn't win.

4. sangiuseppe

sangiuseppe Senior member

How many races were they able to run with one engine? Great engine, zero reliability.
    What I meant to say is that the new V6 engine doesn't do any good to their current street car lineup. This change will favor more Mercedes and Renault, unless you want to fit one of those in a Fiat or an Alfa Romeo...

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Back then? It was unlimited I think.

Perhaps not for Ferrari, but all the hybrid tech is potentially useful. I mean, they did just release their first hybrid car. And yes, for the parent companies this work is all useful.

I think you need to put aside all the V4, V6, V12 talk. Cylinders don't matter, engines now are rock solid for almost all makers. Ferrari aren't really going to gain any massive realizations on engine tech if it were a V12 instead. Internal combustion has seen all the revolutions its going to have. The real huge gains will come with electricity.

6. sugarbutch

Montezemolo talks a ton of shit. I predict that Ferrari will run a turbo hybrid V6 in a road car before too long.

Internal combustion ain't done yet, idfnl. Camless valve actuation is still on the horizon with its attendant gains in efficiency. In any case, the ERS this year is super sexy tech in my book.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Camless valves are incremental gains in efficiency. We're not going to see many revolutionary changes, I agree its not done, but frankly, drive a Tesla. I don't see a future for traditional motors after driving one of those. The Tesla ain't a Zonda R but for us humans, a car with almost 0 maintenance is very compelling.

8. sugarbutch

The Tesla is amazing. If I could afford one, I'd buy it. But for F1, can you imagine the belly-aching if there were no sound but tire roar, wind noise, and gear whine? Montezemolo and Ecclestone might actually die. Once they get quick-change battery packs nailed down, it would be pretty awesome, though.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Electrics and racing won't mix. Nobody wants to hear that shit. Formula E will give us insight into whether its viable, my guess is no way.

The Tesla was an awesome test drive. I recommend everyone try one.

10. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I don't think there is anything wrong with team orders, but I think it was extremely poor judgement by team to use the words "...is faster than you" so early in the season, and right after Massa came over from Ferrari. The realistic potential to gain any positions was slim, but the loss of trust between the team/driver was huge IMO.

I agree it's nice to see to see the drivers having to manage the power. That's how F1 should be.

The noise is so-so, but nothing special.

The stewards were terrible at this race. All the driving penalties were racing incidents and not the fault of the driver receiving the penalties.

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

Camless valves are already used in F1 because springs can't close the valves fast enough at the RPMs F1 engines use --- the valve poppets begin to float out of phase with the piston heads, they collide, and the engine destroys itself.

F1's pneumatic valve springs run from an air reservoir that needs to be filled with air before each race. That's not too practical for road use.

Ducati's Desmodromic valve system drives the poppets directly with no springs, but is a total maintenance disaster.

I think there could be big gains for ICE with materials science advances, but that's major $$$. New forms of energy recovery may help as well. F1 this season, as well as the Porsche 919, are spinning impellers with exhaust gases to charge batteries.

12. sugarbutch

The springs are pneumatic, but the engine still uses camshafts.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I was coming to write this. The camless system is electromagnetic if I am not mistaken.

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

Yes, you're right. Sorry about that. I don't think the electro-hydraulic system has been used in an actual race.

15. sangiuseppe

sangiuseppe Senior member

I wonder how much more power the mercedes engine delivers in comparison to the other engines if even the low budget teams are beating Ferrari and Redbull