Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Ferrari says that, but it gets just as much from F1 as the other way round. How many people watch sportscar races? Red Bull can get stuffed as well, but at least they've contributed to the sport during their tenure. I can tell you that they're connecting with kids a lot more than Ferrari is. They're also winning...

Bottom line: I refuse to be grateful to a patrician thug who extorts money from the sport.

2. sugarbutch

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Perhaps on one front you're right. The young driver program is seeding talent versus all these pay drivers.

On the other hand, connecting with kids with caffeine sugar bomb drinks? I'd struggle to choose between that and the Marlboro years.

4. sugarbutch

I mean connecting with kids in terms of excitement about the sport and fandom. Who knows how many they convert to customers. But I'd have no difficulty choosing Red Bull over Marlboro (even thought the Marlboro Maccas were among my favorite cars ever).

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Is Red Bull Racing really connecting with anyone? I didn't see a lot of kids wearing red bull or Vettel t-shirts when I was at the Canadian GP last year or even on television.

6. sugarbutch

I don't think race attendees are representative of the F1 audience. For one thing, they're hideously expensive to attend.

7. sugarbutch

Hamilton 17s ahead using less fuel? That's playing against type. Magnussen? Robbed. Raikkonen chopped him. Ricciardo seems to have inherited Webber's luck.

MASSA!

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Credit Massa for thumbing his nose at the team. Bottas was catching him quickly but had not done enough to force Massa's hand.

The race was easy for Hamilton. There is not a lot of exciting racing happening as performance is not close enough save for a few cars mid-pack. The nicest thing to see is that drivers actually have to manage the throttle now and fewer corners are flat out. Otherwise there were really no battles from P1 thru P5.

I'm tired of commentators saying people will get used to the noise, that's not true, its getting worse.

9. agbassano

agbassano Senior member

I like Massa, but for him to whine about Bottas - expecting the team to keep Bottas on a leash... Then ignore (an admittedly poorly worded) team order... I just hope Massa doesn't need an "assist" down the road...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. agbassano

agbassano Senior member

Who in this world is "given" anything? Ferrari gets what they do because they are Ferrari... Look what happened to FOTA after they left (with Red Bull)...

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Lots of people in this world are given everything. It's called nepotism, corruption, trust funds, inheritances, royalty, and welfare.

Yup. Ferrari gets what they do because they are Ferrari. I'm not sure I see your point.

12. agbassano

agbassano Senior member

I should refrain from trying to multi quote when on the run with a bad signal [​IMG].

I was basically agreeing with Jeffrey... Many people don't like the influence Ferrari has, but they do have it and even if other teams don't like it they go along with it... It's tiring to see people bemoaning this "fact" on every English F1 blog

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ferrari need F1 more than F1 needs it. I know many don't agree, but without the pinnacle of motorsport to showcase their brand, they'd suffer significantly. Ferrari is just 1 team. I know they have a history, but that shouldn't cloud parody. In fact, McLaren is building some pretty spectacular road cars. Honda is coming back. If Audi would chuck Lambo in the ring, the sport would be just fine. Dare I say even better for it?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

14. sugarbutch

Yes, it's so annoying when people complain that one team gets paid more than everyone else despite lackluster results and gets to veto what everyone else wants. It's not like it's a sport or anything.

idfnl, the noise is fine. I noticed that they put the engine noise higher up in the mix of today's broadcast, and it was much better than Australia.

15. sangiuseppe

sangiuseppe Senior member

In which car is Ferrari supposed to fit a V6 engine? I don't think all this rules benefitted that much