Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

No shit. I think the wet equalized the engine advantage, its not as close as it looked all things equal.

Hell of a qualifying. Ricciardo smoked Vettel, very interesting result. Could Mark Webber have been worse than we all thought, the RB been that much better, and Vettel not all he was advertised to be?

Lotus is so far behind... what a mess.

Kimi looked pretty unmotivated. He's miles off of Alonso. Could we have a non-battle on our hands? They both ran the car equally in pre-season. Hamilton looked very solid. So did Rosberg.

Visually, these cars are very nice to watch, great movement and it looks challenging. But the audio is really awful. I like some of the new sounds, whizzing and whining, but the cars are at least 10 to 15db too quiet... that's the problem. I had to turn my TV way up just to hear it.

2. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

+ 1 on the sound. When a lot of cars were out, they did sound a bit better than I thought, but still a bit "lawnmower like." I think Brundle summed it up best when he said something like, "the cars sound OK and I like the sounds, but we just need more of it."

Kimi vs Alonso: I always thought and still think Alonso is about .250~.5 faster than Kimi. It probably doesn't help that the cars are still new and we can't assume that both cars in equal condition. There are so many small bugs to work out that one car might be better than the other. Remember it wasn't like Kimi dominated Grojean. Actually a lot of the time Grojean was quicker.

Vettel vs Ricciardo: same as above...the cars aren't the same right now due to all the early bugs. We probably won't see huge 1/2 sec~1sec. gaps like we saw with Webber though. Time wise it will probably be more evenly matched like the Rosberg/Hamilton lineup.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

More cars finished than I expected.

That Merc is MILES in front. They had a lot in hand. There was some action, the racing was ok. But that sound, its really bad in race conditions. I mean, when is the last time you heard the PA system??

Its a shame Hamilton had a problem. It would have been an interesting fight.

Magnussen was impressive, but I do wonder just how slow Button has gotten. I mean, he was regularly beaten by Perez last season. I'm not sure he can compete. We seem to have another Mark Webber.

Ricciardo did well. Amazed that Red Bull had pace in race trim. That could become ominous as they make incremental improvements. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the best car at the end of the season, but just too late to catch Hamilton/Rosberg.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

4. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Like you said, Red Bull was definitely the surprise. Considering they are about 1~2 tests behind, maybe they will catch up quicker than anticipated? What do you guys think of this pecking order so far (in terms of the car potential):

1. Mercedes
    2. Red Bull
    3. Williams, Mclaren
    4. Ferrari, Force India, STR
    5. Sauber, Lotus
    6. Caterham, Marussia

I don't think Button is slowing down. He was never super quick in qualifying and usually about a .5sec slower than Hamilton. They probably keep him around because he's good in the races, especially in changing conditions. Like yesterday he ended up right behind Magnussen, so I think the team is satisfied with 3rd,4th finish.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I think the Macca is probably the faster package, this weekend didn't show it.

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

No thoughts on Ricciardo's exclusion?

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I just found out. Red Bull could have just taken the FIA's guidance so I don't know what they are complaining about.

8. mendenhall21

mendenhall21 Member

I really liked Mark Webber but I don't like Vettel much but being a Red Bull fan, I am supporting Ricciardo now.. :)

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Yeah, Ricciardo seems like a good driver and a swell guy. I like that he's all smiles too. I hope there's some drama between him and Vettel this year.

10. sugarbutch

If he keeps driving like that, you can count on it.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Any of you guys watch MotoGP? Its nice to see Valentino Rossi so competitive again.

Mercedes is holding a ton back.

I saw an interview with Dieter and he was hinting at quitting F1... nice veiled threat to overturn the disqualification.

12. sugarbutch

Was racing myself this weekend and forgot to record the two-wheelers.

I say this about everyone who threatens to quit: So quit then. This applies to everyone, especially Ferrari.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I agree. Can you believe Ferrari has first a refusal right on Bernie's replacement???

14. sugarbutch

Complete bullshit.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I believe it. They're the only team that has shown any real commitment to the sport. I don't think Meteschitz understands that very few people would miss his team/brand if they were to quit the sport. The same can't be said about Ferrari.