• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Looks like there is a possibility of Sauber releasing Hulkenburg as they're unable to pay his salary.

Wonder who will snap him up? Ferrari to replace Massa? Lotus to replace RG? I'm not sure a top team would consider replacing someone mid-season nowadays. Maybe he'll go lower down the field until next year.

Wow. F1 is really faltering if Sauber can't pay its bills.

I can't see either team making a move mid-season. But that Red Bull seat suddenly looks interesting.

IMO its not good for Hulkenberg to leave like that, to get used to a new car in the middle of a season?

Bet he is really regretting leaving Force India, but who can blame him? Sauber were fighting for podiums last season.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If they let him go, I suspect he'll be out for the remainder of the season. If he does somehow manage to get into a good seat this season, it should be fine as long as his contract extends past this year. His decision to leave Force India was probably predicated in part on Sauber's greater perceived stability. FI's solvency has been questioned, but now look...

In any case, I bet Sauber will eventually come up with the money, so he might be better off letting them owe him and continuing to drive.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's what I would do. Leaving mid-season has little upside. First of all, another team has to be willing to drop a driver mid-season.

I think the learning curve one race to another in a new car won't make sense.

By the way, Chilton is really getting smoked by Bianchi.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's also talk that van der Garde will get bounced mid-season.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's talk hulkenberg may replace Massa if his contract isn't renewed. There's also a chance (more talk) that he will go to Lotus either replacing Raikkonen or Grosjean.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's talk hulkenberg may replace Massa if his contract isn't renewed. There's also a chance (more talk) that he will go to Lotus either replacing Raikkonen or Grosjean.

Anyone that partners Alonso in that team done. You're chasing the $ at that point. Credit Webber for not going there as much as some dislike him.

I believe Di Resta will get the Red Bull seat, maybe they take a chance on Bianchi. Or give Ricciardo a one year deal and move Bianchi to Torro Rosso. If it had to be done today it would be Di Resta.

Vettel doesn't want Kimi next to him. I've turned the corner on Kimi. I thought he was a real ass at Ferrari, but goddam the guy can drive. I'd love to see them paired up but Vettel won't allow it.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whether or not Vettel will "allow" it, why would Red Bull want to upset the apple cart? They have a great driver who essentially wins whenever the car is capable of it, and if having a clear number two is the price of serial championships, what's the harm? And when I say number two, I mean someone like Webber who might challenge him occasionally, but isn't quick enough from race to race to trouble him over a season.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure that's the argument that Vettel will make.

Wish we had the days of Senna - Prost at McLaren or even when Hamilton and Alonso were paired up (although this was not completely intentional, I don't think anyone believed Hammy would be that good right from the start).

In a sense, I find it rather inconceivable that they'd pair SV with Kimi. Nowadays it would take a surprise. *******, give the seat to Bianchi.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally I really want to see Raikkonen stay at Lotus. I think he gives that team a spark that it really needs. Always happy to see Grosjean do well like in Germany but I'd also like to see HUlkenberg get a proper drive. Paul di Resta too but for some reason no one ever includes his name when discussing possible openings at top seats. I've heard it's because he's pretty abrasive/hard to work with but I don't recall F1 teams being soft like that.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its looking more likely that Ricciardo is going to move to the Red Bull seat. One reason is that a star driver is emerging and Red Bull want him in the Torro Rosso seat next season.

This Portuguese kid Antonio Felix da Costa is a pretty prodigious talent at 21 YO. Super fast, doesn't crash or make many mistakes, fantastic in the rain and really dedicated. He's moved to Milton Keys and is apparently on the Red Bull simulator every chance he gets and is at the factory all the time learning F1.

He won the GP2 championship, right now he's in the Formula 3.5 Renault World Series, he was swooped up by Red Bull and took it by storm when he joined it midway last season and is favorite for the championship this season.

Lastly, at the 3 day young driver test he got 1.5 days in the main Red Bull car. Nobody else got as much time in any car. I think he's a lock at Torro Rosso next season. Also, Helmut Marko loves this kid, compares him very favorably to Vettel.

Here are some highlights. Pretty cool, about 1 min into this vid he bump drafts another driver at Monza, ha ha, Nascar style. Some great stuff, check him out:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raikkonen gets second to keep things interesting!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's rather more like it.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great drive by Hamilton, wow. Those new tires seem to suit the car. Lotus was also excellent. Maybe there is hope we have a championship to fight for.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If Vettel can have a crappy day and finish 3rd, then I think we're in for a repeat of last year.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If Vettel can have a crappy day and finish 3rd, then I think we're in for a repeat of last year.

Maybe, but if Red Bull suffers with the new tires and Mercedes thrives, it could change. Belgium will be interesting.

In other news, this is pretty awesome...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads